Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
7 out of 10 times LSU wins, but USC has a better chance than anybody else in the country...awesome Defense and high octane offense. Beat Oregon in Eugene...Nobody has done that in YEARS.
Nope...LSU is the best in the nation this year..indisputable best, no doubt in this Duck fans mind.
Alabama has a better chance than USC. So does Georgia and willing to bet Oregon, Arkansas, South Carolina, and maybe VT. USC has two good upsets (face it, the Standford game was ugly) even though they lost one but those teams aren't the best in the country.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I agree that the teams with the best chance of actually beating LSU are the teams that LSU will, in all likelihood, end up facing. I also think Oregon would have at least a snowball's chance against LSU mainly because they've seen them before. Arkansas, too. Teams that play LSU the first time have difficulty adjusting to the speed on defense. I don't think there would be any remedy for facing their gut punching power on the offensive line - you either have the big dogs to go with those guys or you don't, and so far only Alabama has answered the bell in the 4th quarter. But on defense, where LSU really changes the game, I think teams could make adjustments there and have at least a chance to win it. But you're not going to do well if all you've done is watch them on tape. That's why I think Alabama does have a legitimate chance to take a rematch.

Whether they do or not, I also see part of that as fundamentally wrong. In college ball, there are so many teams and the process is so Byzantine that it seems that the only fair thing to do is to give a shot to those who've not yet had one. If this were a question of should Alabama get the nod or should Houston, then I would have different feelings about that, as UH hasn't really earned a title shot either. But someone like OK St., or even Stanford, or dare I say, even Boise St, which beat Georgia, deserves a shot at LSU as much as Alabama does. I get the argument that Alabama almost beat LSU, and that they'd *probably* give LSU the toughest test. But still, Alabama had their shot -- at home. And they blew it.

If NCAAF were serious about answering the question, which team is the best in college football, we'd have a playoff, not this BCS stuff. But the BCS can't really answer the question who the best team in football is. At best, it can only be used to indicate which team has had the best season or the team that is most 'deserving.' Alabama's a fantastic team, but LSU defeated them. Oklahoma St., Stanford, or Boise St -- one of those three (and possibly one of those two after this weekend's bedlam game) -- should be allowed to make their statement by challenging LSU directly.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
With Boise State and Stanford you'd get the argument that they didn't win their conference....I don't agree with that argument, but that's what would happen.

If Oklahoma State manages to win Bedlam tomorrow they would have a good case, but that loss to Iowa State really hurts them. When Iowa State got clobbered at Oklahoma that was probably the end of Oklahoma State's chances to sneak in there, no matter what happens tomorrow.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM

I had to go back and check to make sure, and one of the big problems with Stanford is that the highest ranked teams they have beaten are #22 Notre Dame and #25 Washington.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
There is ZERO chance in HE- double hockey sticks that SC would beat LSU- zilch!
well...they whooped us on our own unbeatable turf, so yes I give them a chance...but only if it was not a freaken home game for LSU...Lucky dogs (er Tigers).

Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well...they whooped us on our own unbeatable turf, so yes I give them a chance...but only if it was not a freaken home game for LSU...Lucky dogs (er Tigers).
Wrong. We came out flat and then came back. USC has ZERO chance and will have ZERO chance for many years. Only you and a few idiot SUC fans would actually believe they are anywhere near elite (LSU) level.

Carroll's elite SC would roll over LSU, but they are not anywhere near that level. SC beating us this year is their high water mark for years to come- bank on it.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree that the teams with the best chance of actually beating LSU are the teams that LSU will, in all likelihood, end up facing. I also think Oregon would have at least a snowball's chance against LSU mainly because they've seen them before. Arkansas, too. Teams that play LSU the first time have difficulty adjusting to the speed on defense. I don't think there would be any remedy for facing their gut punching power on the offensive line - you either have the big dogs to go with those guys or you don't, and so far only Alabama has answered the bell in the 4th quarter. But on defense, where LSU really changes the game, I think teams could make adjustments there and have at least a chance to win it. But you're not going to do well if all you've done is watch them on tape. That's why I think Alabama does have a legitimate chance to take a rematch.

Whether they do or not, I also see part of that as fundamentally wrong. In college ball, there are so many teams and the process is so Byzantine that it seems that the only fair thing to do is to give a shot to those who've not yet had one. If this were a question of should Alabama get the nod or should Houston, then I would have different feelings about that, as UH hasn't really earned a title shot either. But someone like OK St., or even Stanford, or dare I say, even Boise St, which beat Georgia, deserves a shot at LSU as much as Alabama does. I get the argument that Alabama almost beat LSU, and that they'd *probably* give LSU the toughest test. But still, Alabama had their shot -- at home. And they blew it.

If NCAAF were serious about answering the question, which team is the best in college football, we'd have a playoff, not this BCS stuff. But the BCS can't really answer the question who the best team in football is. At best, it can only be used to indicate which team has had the best season or the team that is most 'deserving.' Alabama's a fantastic team, but LSU defeated them. Oklahoma St., Stanford, or Boise St -- one of those three (and possibly one of those two after this weekend's bedlam game) -- should be allowed to make their statement by challenging LSU directly.
That's how I feel. Honestly, I'm scared to play Bama because the chance of them beating us is pretty high, however, we already beat them in Bryant-Denny. We shouldn't have to prove ourselves again unless it was a playoff system. If we lose in the NC, we had the toughest and best schedule in the country yet we don't have the trophy, AND we would have already beat the champs in there own stadium.
Did kindergarteners setup the BCS?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM

It's not really the BCS, it's just how the other conferences played out.

This wouldn't even be the first rematch game for a national title, just the first one in the BCS era. Florida won the 1996 national title in a rematch with Florida State. The only difference is they were set up to win the title by the other contenders losing their conference title game or their bowl game. Here it happened in the regular season, but it's the same situation--other teams blew it, so they got a chance to win the title against someone who beat them during the season.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I guess the strongest case for an opponent other than Alabama would be Oklahoma State, and that's only if they beat Oklahoma. If that happens, I think there's an outside shot that pollsters could give OK St. a second look. There's nothing preventing the news media pollsters from switching course and changing their number two votes for OSU instead of Alabama. They could do it if there's enough sentiment for it, and that would change the outcome of the BCS.

I still think that given the way things are in college football, without a playoff system, the best thing to do is to let an undefeated juggernaut like LSU play a wider variety of teams. There's no question Alabama could give LSU a good contest and quite possibly beat them, but how do we know another team can't do that as well? I think the case is especially strong if that third team ends up being a conference champion. If it's a team like Stanford, maybe the argument's not as strong, especially considering how handily they were defeated by Oregon.

Now if Georgia defeats LSU today, things could get interesting. If Alabama's considered a lock for the BCS with one loss and one fewer games played than LSU, then LSU must be considered an even bigger lock. Suddenly, Alabama's loss is to a 1-loss team that didn't win its conference outright. Same as OSU. Granted, LSU's ranked higher, but perhaps a team like Boise St, which did in fact beat Georgia can turn around and make its case. And perhaps OSU can, too, if they win today.

I think LSU should be considered a lock. They're playing an extra game with the assumption that they're in the big dance. I agree that they should win this one, for pride, for style points. But they don't go into it thinking they have to.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM

OSU was exposed pretty badly in that loss to Iowa State....the defense was putting pressure on Weeden. All through the game I kept thinking that if that defense was giving them problems, what were they going to do with LSU?

Still, they will at least have a case to get a shot if they beat Oklahoma and win their conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football