Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times

Advertisements

It's all about the U

My guess Miami will relinquish wins (what little ones they had during that time ), lose bowl rights for 2 years (like they would make a good one) and loss of scholorships.

Anyways... This isn't the first time a booster has lavished players and it won't be the last. It happens at all D1 big schools. It is just a matter of getting found out (i.e. USC) or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
What I've read re: the Yahoo story, this goes WAY beyond the overenthusiastic booster giving some money handshakes to players. Nevin Shapiro isn't just telling his side of the story about some 2A transgressions, he's a big time criminal who stole money and gave it to the U. And the U had every chance to find out who this guy was, what is operation was, and to ask him to become a whole lot less prominent in the program. What he's doing is turning states evidence, he a whistleblower imo re: criminal activity that some administrators were engaging in at Miami. It's yet to be explained just who gave Shapiro his money, where he got it, and who he himself was involved in while running any of his operations. The smell is horrible, and the least that can be said is that it wasn't just a case of lack of institutional control, there was NO institutional control. It's becoming apparent that Miami involved itself with a criminal, had reasonable expectations to find out his background, and chose at the highest levels to ignore their mandates. If so, there is a chance that they could lose their accreditation. Very serious stuff down in Coral Gables.....

Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
It's all about the U

My guess Miami will relinquish wins (what little ones they had during that time ), lose bowl rights for 2 years (like they would make a good one) and loss of scholorships.

Anyways... This isn't the first time a booster has lavished players and it won't be the last. It happens at all D1 big schools. It is just a matter of getting found out (i.e. USC) or not.
Even if the NCAA vacates their wins, the U can always whine...er, appeal, and get them reinstated like Oklahoma did after the Bomar/Big Red car wash scandal several years ago.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
What I've read re: the Yahoo story, this goes WAY beyond the overenthusiastic booster giving some money handshakes to players. Nevin Shapiro isn't just telling his side of the story about some 2A transgressions, he's a big time criminal who stole money and gave it to the U. And the U had every chance to find out who this guy was, what is operation was, and to ask him to become a whole lot less prominent in the program. What he's doing is turning states evidence, he a whistleblower imo re: criminal activity that some administrators were engaging in at Miami. It's yet to be explained just who gave Shapiro his money, where he got it, and who he himself was involved in while running any of his operations. The smell is horrible, and the least that can be said is that it wasn't just a case of lack of institutional control, there was NO institutional control. It's becoming apparent that Miami involved itself with a criminal, had reasonable expectations to find out his background, and chose at the highest levels to ignore their mandates. If so, there is a chance that they could lose their accreditation. Very serious stuff down in Coral Gables.....
His stature of being a criminal has no barring. At the time, no one knew he was involved in a Ponzi schemes so background checks aren't going to show anything beyond the business (Capital Investments USA) he associated to his Ponzi scheme. To Miami, he just looked like a business man trying to help out the school with money i.e. a booster.

The real question to me is why he decided to come forward. He obviously was a fan of the team/school. Setting them up for failure just doesn't make a whole lot of sense; let alone pissing off a lot of people from his community of Miami as well as ex-players he made connections with.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
It's all about the U

I agree, that's probably the only sanctions that Miami will get. And like you said, this kind of stuff goes on all the time. Even if the NCAA drops the hammer on some school I doubt that it would stop some boosters from doing this kind of stuff, that's the saddest part of it IMO.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
His stature of being a criminal has no barring. At the time, no one knew he was involved in a Ponzi schemes so background checks aren't going to show anything beyond the business (Capital Investments USA) he associated to his Ponzi scheme. To Miami, he just looked like a business man trying to help out the school with money i.e. a booster.

The real question to me is why he decided to come forward. He obviously was a fan of the team/school. Setting them up for failure just doesn't make a whole lot of sense; let alone pissing off a lot of people from his community of Miami as well as ex-players he made connections with.
Allegedly he is angry that folks didn't help him financially when he ran into trouble. He thought they were "family" and he helped others 'when they needed it', and wonders why no one helped him.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:

I don't buy that. The guy was involved with the U for the better part of a decade. It would have been nothing to have found out just what he was up to with the players and coaches. To spread that kind of money around players and have that much access to them could easily have led to gamblers having influence with those players. Again it would have been a simple thing to ask just how much money is this company making, how is it making it, who are his associates and who are his investors. This was willful ignorance of what was a criminal enterprise, what, they're aren't any number of money laundering operations that exist in and around Miami?

What he was doing was a flagrant breaking of violations and no one did anything about that. This was after all of the stuff that Miami had been involved with earlier. And you have to ask how it was that the U President, Donna Shalala, a former Clinton Cabinet hear, couldn't have asked a few questions to find out this guys background. For damn sakes, Yahoo found out that this guy stepdad was also imprisoned for the same thing his kid was running. You gotta wonder why Shapiro was bulletproof for so long, and why he knew he was protected.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Is it just me or have there been too many teams getting caught breaking the NCAA rules? Just within the last 18-24 months.... Ohio State, USC, Oregon, North Carolina, South Florida, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Miami etc etc etc..... all have been mentioned in various NCAA investigations!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
We're in the era of 24 hour news and social networking. All these cases were found by bloggers and such. Pretty much served up to the NCAA on a china plate. NCAA is still ineffective at finding trouble...unless its a small or mid level non-football-power school.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Is it just me or have there been too many teams getting caught breaking the NCAA rules? Just within the last 18-24 months.... Ohio State, USC, Oregon, North Carolina, South Florida, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Miami etc etc etc..... all have been mentioned in various NCAA investigations!
What NCAA rules do you think Oregon has broken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football