Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can really beat the Michigan Ohio State rivalry, especially just a few years ago when they were both top dogs in the league.

Miami/FSU is another really good one. KU vs Mizzou is good but wouldn't make the list because neither school is a consistent national contender in football.

Florida vs UGA.... uhh that one is new to me? Florida and Tennessee have a bigger rivalry than UGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
^^^
Now THIS is what it's ALL about! The best in college football!

Better than the Big House.... right

Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Better than the Big House.... right
Well, don't take my word for it, Ohio State's very own Eddie George claimed that OU/Texas was bigger after being there a time or two to commentate.

I don't have the time to find the link but I'm sure you can find some sites that show George's comment.

>>>>>
but wouldn't make the list because neither school is a consistent national contender in football.
<<<<<

When was the last time Michigan contended?

BTW, I'm not minimizing Ohio State/Michigan, no doubt it is one of the Big Daddys. So is OU/Texas. Right there with ya.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Is the red river shootout still played at the old cotton bowl or have they moved that game to Cowboys Stadium.. ??

Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Is the red river shootout still played at the old cotton bowl or have they moved that game to Cowboys Stadium.. ??
Cotton Bowl all the way. There was just a deal inked to play the RRS through 2020 I believe.....Dallas has vowed even more improvements in the stadium to continue to make the atmosphere of the matchup one of the best in all of college football.

Us folks over here in the SOUTHWest would like to keep it that way too. I don't want to watch the RRS at Jerry World. That would certainly tarnish the great tradition of this game.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Cotton Bowl all the way. There was just a deal inked to play the RRS through 2020 I believe.....Dallas has vowed even more improvements in the stadium to continue to make the atmosphere of the matchup one of the best in all of college football.

Us folks over here in the SOUTHWest would like to keep it that way too. I don't want to watch the RRS at Jerry World. That would certainly tarnish the great tradition of this game.
I think the same way.

No need to fill that Arkansaws yayhoo's pockets.

Even though the State Fair is surrounded by a really sketchy 'hood, walking around gawkin' at all the crap & cars is fun, especially whilst imbibing a few beers.

Besides, it's a great tradition.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 18,487 times
There is nothing like being in the Cotton Bowl on an early October afternoon, surrounded by the sights and sounds of the Texas State Fair, and looking around at the stadium split in the middle, burnt orange and crimson. I was always vastly amused by the little orange plastic mesh fence running down the middle of the center aisle.

I've always loved football and I grew up in Florida. There's some pretty good football there, too, and Alabama/Auburn and Florida/Florida State were the rivalries I grew up watching. They are awesome, but for me at least, nothing compares with the combination of the amazing traditional setting and intense rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma.

I think it's great that Florida and Georgia also play the neutral site game, but Jacksonville and the area around whatever used to be called the Gator Bowl can't match Dallas, the Texas Fair Grounds, and the Cotton Bowl.

And oh yes ... Hook 'em, Horns!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Corny dog and a hard fought football game.

TX VS OU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hook 'em.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Well, don't take my word for it, Ohio State's very own Eddie George claimed that OU/Texas was bigger after being there a time or two to commentate.

I don't have the time to find the link but I'm sure you can find some sites that show George's comment.

>>>>>
but wouldn't make the list because neither school is a consistent national contender in football.
<<<<<

When was the last time Michigan contended?

BTW, I'm not minimizing Ohio State/Michigan, no doubt it is one of the Big Daddys. So is OU/Texas. Right there with ya.

Both Michigan and Ohio State are not really contendors anymore either, but they are both high media teams. If they start having a good season the media would pick up on that instantly, if Kansas or Missouri had a good season they probably wouldn't pick up on it til the end of the season. That's all I was saying there.

OU/Texas is a huge game and I actually like watching that game :P

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Both Michigan and Ohio State have contended within the last decade [although Michigan has only once.]

Each rivalry goes through cycles of relevance based on how well the programs are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football