Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
But the job of a major conference like the Big 12 is to improve......losing A&M hurts big time.
Are you serious... This team had a 4 win season recently. They lost their last 5 bowls by almost 20 points each game (since 2004). They aren't that good.

The big question is where will they be WHEN the SEC denies them membership; they offer the SEC nothing. Crawling back to Big 12, apologizing to Texas and others for running away? Going to a smaller conference like CUSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz
1. be in a reformatted ACC that actually has real top 25 teams in it yearly
Is the Top 25 really the 25 best teams? No way.

Do you find it weird that the ACC and MWC, supposely not that great of conferences, have better winning bowl records (past 5-10 years) than others not named SEC...

Ask yourself this...
Was Michigan State really the #14 best team in the league last year as the AP Poll declared in their Final Post Bowl Poll?

If you answered yes...
Really? The same team that got thrashed... yes thrashed by Alabama... How many Mich St players were replaced during that game due to how much better, faster, and stronger Bama players were versus that lame excuse of a team... Heck outside Ohio St, was there another Big 10 team that didn't get destroyed in their bowl game...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Heck outside Ohio St, was there another Big 10 team that didn't get destroyed in their bowl game...
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State

Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
The Mayans were right, the Big XII ends in 2012.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Big 12 will most likely pick up BYU

I'd like to see them pick up TCU too... but I think they are committed to the Big East.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Which was quite often.
I'm talking about the national title. I believe they only had maybe two meetings that had national title implications since the Big XII started. They met for the conference title a few times too [I looked it up, they only met twice in the championship game], but I don't remember OU people being any more fired up than they were about playing any of the other conference title games. There was even a story in the local media a few years back about what happened to the rivalry, and how no one really cared about the game anymore.

Even then, that's what, maybe four significant meetings during the Big XII years? Not exactly a strong rivalry.

I won't be all that sorry to see the Big XII go if it does, I don't think it ever really worked as a football conference because there was such an imbalance between the divisions.

If A&M does go to the SEC I think it will be similar to when Arkansas joined, as far as football, a lot of hard times ahead. Although they might have a somewhat better experience because obviously they won't be giving up the Texas recruiting base the way Arkansas did.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its all about money really. I mean there are alot of teams that can repalce A&M with its record for the last deacdes. Confreneces are all about fiances and recruiting. A&M frankly has not exactly a top big 12 team for years how.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I've always been a little disappointed in how A&M did in the Big 12, they were always a pretty good team in the Southwest Conference.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I'm talking about the national title. I believe they only had maybe two meetings that had national title implications since the Big XII started. They met for the conference title a few times too [I looked it up, they only met twice in the championship game], but I don't remember OU people being any more fired up than they were about playing any of the other conference title games. There was even a story in the local media a few years back about what happened to the rivalry, and how no one really cared about the game anymore.

Even then, that's what, maybe four significant meetings during the Big XII years? Not exactly a strong rivalry.

I won't be all that sorry to see the Big XII go if it does, I don't think it ever really worked as a football conference because there was such an imbalance between the divisions.

If A&M does go to the SEC I think it will be similar to when Arkansas joined, as far as football, a lot of hard times ahead. Although they might have a somewhat better experience because obviously they won't be giving up the Texas recruiting base the way Arkansas did.
>>>>>
There was even a story in the local media a few years back about what happened to the rivalry, and how no one really cared about the game anymore.
<<<<<

Must be the 40 and unders.

Those Sooners fans that were suckin' on momma's tit in the 80's/90's would have a lot better understanding of there football program if they did a tad reading/checking into history.

OU/Nebraska is one of the great/historic rivalries of college football. Those that say otherwise don't know a thing about OU's or Nebraska's history and tradition.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Are you serious... This team had a 4 win season recently. They lost their last 5 bowls by almost 20 points each game (since 2004). They aren't that good.

The big question is where will they be WHEN the SEC denies them membership; they offer the SEC nothing. Crawling back to Big 12, apologizing to Texas and others for running away? Going to a smaller conference like CUSA?

Is the Top 25 really the 25 best teams? No way.

Do you find it weird that the ACC and MWC, supposely not that great of conferences, have better winning bowl records (past 5-10 years) than others not named SEC...

Ask yourself this...
Was Michigan State really the #14 best team in the league last year as the AP Poll declared in their Final Post Bowl Poll?

If you answered yes...
Really? The same team that got thrashed... yes thrashed by Alabama... How many Mich St players were replaced during that game due to how much better, faster, and stronger Bama players were versus that lame excuse of a team... Heck outside Ohio St, was there another Big 10 team that didn't get destroyed in their bowl game...
>>>>>
Are you serious...
<<<<<

No, I'm joking.

You, as well as many others, are missing the point: A&M is a major athletic program in collegiate sports (across all sports not just football).....with tons of money and tons of influence.

Sure, TCU/Boise State, et. al, might beat A&M if they played today. But A&M will always possess the credibility/respect/influence that a smaller school like TCU/BSU will never possess.

Example: Let's say the Big 12 goes after TCU/BSU.....you would be replacing a stadium that holds 90,000 with 50,000-60,000 (I'm probably being generous). Also, what does TCU (Baseball?) and especially Boise St. (Mountain Climbing) offer in other sports? I'm not trying to be hateful on these smaller schools but it is absolutely ridiculous to compare them to A&M when you take into account the academics/athletics in totality/and overall influence.

If the answer is to go after these smaller schools (I don't think it is)....then the Big 12 should just fold now.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
By the way, the Texas Tech forum posted a pretty freaking funny thread on the subject of what happens when A&M joins the SEC:

Scout.com: Post a Pic of what's gonna happen to Aggie.
That was pure comedy.... Thanks for the link!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football