Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're kidding me, right? If your only thrills come from touchdowns, then you don't really understand the game, my friend.
Please spare me the sanctimony. If you like that boring stuff and thats your thing, great. It doesnt mean those of us that don't like it "don't really understand the game".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
OU and Oklahoma State would beat either one of those teams.

Both QBs, the receivers, and the offensive coordinators are bad.

It sucks when your highlights are nothing but field goals.
I think you've got it in reverse: either LSU or Alabama would dominate OK St. or OU. The Big 12 is turning into the Western Athletic Conference: lay-up football. The SEC does something other conferences don't: they play defense, too.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
i think you've got it in reverse: Either lsu or alabama would dominate ok st. Or ou. The big 12 is turning into the western athletic conference: Lay-up football. The sec does something other conferences don't: They play defense, too.

sec! sec! sec! sec! sec! sec!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Oh yes, WVU- well, that would just give Oregon a blueprint- throw the ball 70 times game.
I think the problem for Oregon is that, right now, they don't match up well against LSU. The Tigers have too much power on both lines.

Quote:
And since Oregon has better backs, I think we would see a ton of our backs coming out of the backfield for dump off passes. To say Oregon would turn it over 4 times again is either clairvoyant or just a guess- and I'm betting you cannot foresee anything.
I don't know if they'd turn it over 4 times, but let's keep it real: LSU's defense forces those turnovers. If Oregon's receivers were just having a bad day and dropping passes or fumbling snaps, that's one thing. But LSU's defense did to Oregon what they've been doing to other teams ever since. They break through the line of scrimmage. They tackle running backs for losses. They force 2nd and long, 3rd and long. They have corners that can cover just about any receiving core (we'll see just how good the secondary is when they play Arkansas, which will be the best passing team they will face all year). In terms of yardage, LSU doesn't necessarily have a stifling defense. They'll give up yards between the 20's, but they force turnovers and they become a lot more aggressive once it's inside the 20 (whether it's theirs or yours).

Quote:
Have you seen what DeAnthony Thomas is doing now?-killing it. I'm not sure he would turn it over again-possibly, but he isn't carrying the ball like a loaf of bread antmore. Here's the thing- IMO LSU played a fairly flawless game and Oregon didn't. Too many turnovers contributed heavily to the Duck loss.
Absolutely not true. What about the bothced snap in the first (or was it 2nd) quarter that gave Oregon the ball down near the goal???? Remember that one? Jarrett Lee went 10 for 22 for 98 yards. Hardly a 'flawless' performance. Dude, I know you want to fall back on the fact that it wasn't the Ducks' best game of the year and what not but give it a rest: 40-27 (would have been 40 to 20 had it not been for the gimmie touchdown late in the game). LSU won the game convincingly. There was no doubt about any of it except to diehard Oregon fans who don't want to accept the reality. LSU is simply a better team than Oregon this year. Next year may be (and I think will be) a different story. But this year, LSU is better, and I'll be honest, I think Alabama is also better, with their one glaring weakness, the kicking game, exposed yesterday.

Quote:
Richardson is a great back, but he struggled against Vandy and Tennessee, so he isn't superman and can be stopped. Cam Newton was adequately contained when everyone said he couldn't be.
Cam Newton played last year. Not this year.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Stanford would beat both of those teams.

Injuries are probably going to hurt the Stanford down the line.

Only thing this "Game of the century" proved is that the corndogs have a better kicker then Bammer, and that both teams had bad execution on both side at times, blow coverage, bad designs, dropped passes ect.

Also Saban made some of the worst decisions I've ever seen on special teams.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
How come every time there is a 9-6 game or a 13-6 game, people complain it is boring? I dont like seeing 52-48 all the time. If one wants to accuse the offenses of being pathethic, fine, but I want to see those same people accusing the defenses of being atrocious in the 52-48 shootout.

That said, only the horrible Bama FG kicker and LSU QB didnt show up to play. Was it the greatest ever played? No. But it was a good game.

To me, the Jarrett Lee was the issue. He was the experienced QB with more of a typical QB skill set and he came up very small in the big game--after playing so well in recent weeks. Alabama is playing with a young QB--I knew LSU would be able to force a mistake or two out of him during the game.

I give the defenses credit, and for the record, I still think these two are the best teams in the country. However, given 3-4 weeks to prepare for a National Title game, I think any of these schools can be beaten.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
I heard on ESPN last night from Patrick McEnroe that Andrew Luck would make the kind of passes that the QBs for Bama and LSU were missing left and right in his sleep. I agree with him that Luck would do it with ease ASSUMING he had the time. Problem is that Luck would've been running for dear life or on his back against either team last night.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Great game!

I was hoping LSU but thought bama would win by 3 since they were at home. Who says defense can't make a game exciting.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I heard on ESPN last night from Patrick McEnroe that Andrew Luck would make the kind of passes that the QBs for Bama and LSU were missing left and right in his sleep. I agree with him that Luck would do it with ease ASSUMING he had the time. Problem is that Luck would've been running for dear life or on his back against either team last night.
We'll see what Andrew Luck can do if it gets to that. Andrew Luck looks good against teams that don't play much defense. He hasn't faced a team that can pressure the line yet, so we have no idea what Luck can or can't do. The best team that Stanford's played so far is probably USC, and while Matt Barkley is a future NFL star, their defense leaves a lot to be desired. The Trojans have given up 40 or more points 3 times already, including once to Arizona, which fired their coach this season. Let's see what Andrew Luck can do against teams that regularly stomp their opponents by double digits and barely let teams get more than 10 points per game. Might be a completely different story.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
How come every time there is a 9-6 game or a 13-6 game, people complain it is boring?
Hey give 'em a break: if your team couldn't play defense and saw last night's great defensive battle, you'd be screamin' and hollerin', too. Envy can get the best of any fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football