Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Although if they go to the Big East, they may end up doing pretty well in their conference play.
Exactly. This would be their opportunity to finally hit that game. If they choose to accept the invite...

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how TCU ends up doing in the Big 12.
Being that they have struggle a little this year, it is not a good sign. I think they will fair better than Utah's transition into the Pac 12 but not by much. Boise St, on the other hand if they accept, will transition just fine and potentially still run the table in the Big East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Being that they have struggle a little this year, it is not a good sign. I think they will fair better than Utah's transition into the Pac 12 but not by much. Boise St, on the other hand if they accept, will transition just fine and potentially still run the table in the Big East.
I love the doubters.

I also love how being 6-2 is struggling for TCU....

Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Boise State has indeed arrived as a football power-----they are a player to be reckoned with in the future.

It is clear that unless they can free their schedule from the Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico ect....their ambition to contend for national championships will not be realized due to strength of schedule.

Joining the Big East is not the answer----who knows if the Big East will qualify for an automatic bid to the BCS after 2013??

Boise will just have to sell itself to either the Pac 12 or the Big 12 and keep hammering away at them. The combined Moutain West and Conference Usa is not going to get an automatic qualifier, so that road is going to be a difficult one.

I think the Big 12 will eventually expand to 12 teams and perhaps Boise should stay in constant contact with Louisville and as a tandem team up to convince the Big 12-----that would make for a pretty solid Big 12.
This. I don't mean to be a total SEC homer here, but c'mon. Yes, you beat Georgia, a team that has pretty much padded its record for the remainder of its schedule by playing in the way-down SEC East. I'll give you a golf clap for that.

And then you played....who?

At some point, Boise State needs to put up or shut up. Either get into a conference where you actually play teams with a pulse or quit whining about being left out of the Big Game. Because I'll take a Stanford with one loss over a Boise State with none.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This. I don't mean to be a total SEC homer here, but c'mon. Yes, you beat Georgia, a team that has pretty much padded its record for the remainder of its schedule by playing in the way-down SEC East. I'll give you a golf clap for that.

And then you played....who?

At some point, Boise State needs to put up or shut up. Either get into a conference where you actually play teams with a pulse or quit whining about being left out of the Big Game. Because I'll take a Stanford with one loss over a Boise State with none.
Have to be INVITED, first.

So far, only the Big East has... and who knows what that's gonna look like in a few years?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Have to be INVITED, first.

So far, only the Big East has... and who knows what that's gonna look like in a few years?
Meh. If BSU had really wanted to join a big-time conference they would have lobbied harder and gotten an invitation by now. I bet the Big 12 would have loved to have had them after Nebraska's defection last year.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
I love the doubters.

I also love how being 6-2 is struggling for TCU....
Those two L are...
- @Baylor 4-3. Last week 59 OK St to 24 Baylor. Take it what you will.
- SMU 5-3. Last week 38 Tulsa to 7 SMU. Again, take it what you will.

Their biggest win so far is BYU, who practically handed the win by bad snaps in punting situations. The rest look like I-AA Portland St, 0-8 New Mexico, and 2-6 ULM i.e. 6 isn't what it seems...

In fairness, this considered a rebuilding year (losing the star QB) but who knows... Yet to be seen...

Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Those two L are...
- @Baylor 4-3. Last week 59 OK St to 24 Baylor. Take it what you will.- SMU 5-3. Last week 38 Tulsa to 7 SMU. Again, take it what you will.

Their biggest win so far is BYU, who practically handed the win by bad snaps in punting situations. The rest look like I-AA Portland St, 0-8 New Mexico, and 2-6 ULM i.e. 6 isn't what it seems...

In fairness, this considered a rebuilding year (losing the star QB) but who knows... Yet to be seen...

I take it you don't know that those are TCU's biggest rivals. Sometimes, it don't matter how good you are, that extra motivation is there. This was the BEST time for those schools to beat them and they took full advantage.

I doubt you see much of the same next season, seeing how most of the team is Freshman and Sophomores this year.

Just sayin'....

P.S., don't start with the "BYU gave away the game" talk. TCU was up 31-17 and played conservatively in the 2nd half, as they always do. Game could have been much worse.... for BYU.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
I'm a longtime BSU fan....

Last year I would have been incensed at the thought of an undefeated Boise State being left out of the NC game or Rose Bowl (even over TCU); but obviously the Nevada game nipped that in the bud.

This year I'm not as invested in the argument that Boise State, should they win out, deserves to be in the NC game. Here's why:

1. I think it's clear that Boise State can play with anyone, even LSU and Bama. That much isn't really a debate. But... the schedule really does suck.

2. However, it is also clear that LSU and Bama have played an immensely tougher schedule than BSU (and everyone else), and deserve a spot in the title game. If this weekend is a close game and they win out I'd even argue they should meet again in the NCG, though I don't want to see a rematch.

3. Obviously BSU needs Stanford and Ok State to lose, which I think will happen. No one is arguing BSU should be in over these two teams.

4. If they do, it becomes LSU/Bama v. undefeated Boise, and probably one loss Stanford, one loss Oregon, one loss Ok State, one loss Ok, and one loss LSU/Bama. I would argue that one loss SEC and Big 12 teams probably get the edge; I cannot argue the same for the Pac 12 teams, because the Pac 12 sucks this year.

5. The bottom line is that I'm okay going against Bama or LSU in the Sugar Bowl; I think that's a great game to prove whether we belong. If we win, I think we should get some AP votes.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
I take it you don't know that those are TCU's biggest rivals. Sometimes, it don't matter how good you are, that extra motivation is there. This was the BEST time for those schools to beat them and they took full advantage.

I doubt you see much of the same next season, seeing how most of the team is Freshman and Sophomores this year.

Just sayin'....

P.S., don't start with the "BYU gave away the game" talk. TCU was up 31-17 and played conservatively in the 2nd half, as they always do. Game could have been much worse.... for BYU.

I think TCU should be ranked right now. I think they will be next week.
BYU should have done better, but self destructed. They could have won if they played the whole game clean. 2 crucial int's and 3 botched punts. All 5 plays were critical. TCU played well, no turnovers, solid win.

I do think Boise will beat the frogs. Boise will go undefeated, and who knows.....things would have to go just right for them....

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
I'm a longtime BSU fan....

Last year I would have been incensed at the thought of an undefeated Boise State being left out of the NC game or Rose Bowl (even over TCU); but obviously the Nevada game nipped that in the bud.

This year I'm not as invested in the argument that Boise State, should they win out, deserves to be in the NC game. Here's why:

1. I think it's clear that Boise State can play with anyone, even LSU and Bama. That much isn't really a debate. But... the schedule really does suck.

2. However, it is also clear that LSU and Bama have played an immensely tougher schedule than BSU (and everyone else), and deserve a spot in the title game. If this weekend is a close game and they win out I'd even argue they should meet again in the NCG, though I don't want to see a rematch.

3. Obviously BSU needs Stanford and Ok State to lose, which I think will happen. No one is arguing BSU should be in over these two teams.

4. If they do, it becomes LSU/Bama v. undefeated Boise, and probably one loss Stanford, one loss Oregon, one loss Ok State, one loss Ok, and one loss LSU/Bama. I would argue that one loss SEC and Big 12 teams probably get the edge; I cannot argue the same for the Pac 12 teams, because the Pac 12 sucks this year.

5. The bottom line is that I'm okay going against Bama or LSU in the Sugar Bowl; I think that's a great game to prove whether we belong. If we win, I think we should get some AP votes.
See, I would agree with the highlighted part of your post. I just have a problem with rewarding a team that perhaps has one or two tough games a year, filling the balance of its schedule with lightweights. While I respect BSU and the program it's built, it really needs to step up in terms of competition in order to be taken seriously. For when BSU goes through the same week-in, week-out grind as teams playing in the SEC, the Big 10, and the Big 12 we will at least be dealing with the same basic set of circumstances. After all, any team can prepare to play just one game a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football