Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Some more good news for the football team at CSU Pueblo. Examples like this is why I think that in the next few years CSU Pueblo will be a division 2 power house as they have done this much in only 3 years. Also, this got me thinking and perhaps CSU Pueblo should become a division 1 university as right now all the state universities that are division 1 are around Denver so CSU Pueblo would be the only university outside of the Denver area to be a division 1 school and that is good for Colorado. Plus it would help secure Pueblo's role as the "alpha city" for southern Colorado.

This is from the Fort Morgan Times:

Colorado State-Pueblo University has placed 10 ThunderWolves on the National Football Foundation All-Colorado team, the second-most entrants onto the squad, as the NFFCC teams were released Thursday.

The link: Mustang alum captures all-Colorado - Fort Morgan Times
Actually, there is only one Division 1 program in Denver. If you count CU Boulder, then there are two D1 programs in the metro area. There are D1 programs in Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, and Greeley.

One of the biggest mistakes UNC has made was a return to Division 1 athletics. The amount of money needed to create a competitive program is pretty obscene, and, in my opinion, should be spent on academics, not athletics.

UNC has a population that is twice the size of CSUP and has difficulty competing in Division 1.

CSUP needs to become competitive on a national level in D2 athletics before it starts thinking about D1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Actually, there is only one Division 1 program in Denver. If you count CU Boulder, then there are two D1 programs in the metro area. There are D1 programs in Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, and Greeley.

One of the biggest mistakes UNC has made was a return to Division 1 athletics. The amount of money needed to create a competitive program is pretty obscene, and, in my opinion, should be spent on academics, not athletics.

UNC has a population that is twice the size of CSUP and has difficulty competing in Division 1.

CSUP needs to become competitive on a national level in D2 athletics before it starts thinking about D1.
I agree about UNC and I, also, agree with you on CSU P. However, with how fast CSU P is growing and how fast the football program is improving they should be competitive in Division 2 this decade so it could be as early as the next decade that they will look at becoming a division 1 school. That might seem like a long time but in the grand scheme of things 10 to 20 years will be here before we know it.

As far as where the Division 1 programs are in Colorado, I was referring to Fort Collins, Boulder and Greeley when I said they are all by the Denver area. That is because technically Greeley and Boulder are in the Denver CSA and Fort Collins is close. There are no division 1 state schools in the mountains, western slope or southern Colorado. You talk about the Air Force Academy but that is not a state school and does not have the kind of economic impact as a state school. So having a large CSU Pueblo in division 1 will have a lager impact on southern Colorado then the Air Force Academy does. In fact UCCS will have a larger impact on Colorado Springs then the Air Force Academy in the long run but it will never be a division 1 school so in many ways the future is brighter for CSU Pueblo.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Since the thread has migrated to the number of FBS schools, which state has the most FBS schools?

Give ya a hint. The number is 10.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Since the thread has migrated to the number of FBS schools, which state has the most FBS schools?

Give ya a hint. The number is 10.
From the location in your profile, I am going to guess Texas.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
From the location in your profile, I am going to guess Texas.
Yup.

Big XII-II
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor

Mountain West
Texas Christian

Conference USA
Southern Methodist
Rice
Houston
Texas-El Paso

Sun Belt
North Texas

And - coming in 2015 (I believe) Texas-San Antonio.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Talking Pack in spotlight as prime-time players

The Thunderwolves will have a national television appearance next season on CBS sports. The game will be a night game on Thursday October 6, kick off is at 6:00 pm. This is great for the program as it will give it some much needed national exposure. My hope is that Pueblo shows up for the game and sells out the stadium and the Pack does well as that will give us great national exposure. What I don't want is a early snow storm........

This is from the Chieftain:

The NCAA has selected the ThunderWolves home game against Colorado Mines in October to be part of its nationally televised Division II game of the week series. That game will be telecast live on the CBS Sports Network, as well as syndicated to regional sports networks and local television stations and simulcast live on ncaa.org.

The link: Pack in spotlight as prime-time players - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

Here is a picture I took of a night game at the Thunderbowl.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-28-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Talking Pack gets Texas-sized win

The 2011 football season started out great as CSU Pueblo beat 19th ranked West Texas A&M 26 to 24 on their home turf! This was a HUGE victory for the Pack beating a nationally ranked team. It will be interesting to see what the polls are like this week.

GO PACK!!!!

Turns out you can mess with Texas. Colorado State University-Pueblo, playing a nationally ranked team on the road in a hostile environment, pulled off a Texas-sized win in football Thursday night. Senior Kyle Major kicked four field goals and special teams were just that as the ThunderWolves knocked off No. 19 West Texas A&M 26-24 at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium.

The link: Pack gets Texas-sized win - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

KKTV thinks that the pack will get nationally ranked.

This is from KKTV:

CSU-Pueblo, virtually assured of appearing in next week's American Football Coaches' Association national rankings following the win, will return home for its home opener after a nine-day layover on Sept. 10 when NAIA power Northwestern Oklahoma State comes to town.

The link: http://www.kktv.com/sports/headlines...128977903.html

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-02-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I was able to find some footage of the game. This was the sports report from KAMR 4 in Amarillo Texas.

Here is the link: WT Football Opening Night - MyHighPlains.com

Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Talking Kicker Kyle Major earns honor as team vaults into Top 25.

CSU Pueblo's football team made the top 25! The poll just realsed has CSU Pueblo as #21, the highest they have ever been ranked in Division 2. Hopefully they can build on this and end up even higher by the end of the season.

As for the ranking, it's the highest ever for CSU-Pueblo in Division II. The ThunderWolves received votes in the preseason poll but jumped all the way to 21st with the road win at WTAMU. They leapfrogged Colorado Mines, which is 24th. Nebraska-Kearney also moved up to 13th.

The link: Pack reaps spoils of big win in Texas - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Colorado State University - Pueblo beat Northwestern Oklahoma State 41 to 0! Currently CSU - Pueblo is ranked as the 21st best football team in D2 and I am hoping with this victory they go up in the polls. I was at the game and took some pictures that I will post on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football