Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
It brings a lot of recognition to these schools, especially if they can sustain this kind of success. University of Northern Colorado did it moving to division 1 after a couple of titles, and also North Dakota State moved up after some division 2 titles. It will bring better athletes, and more students to the school. Central Florida was also a school in D-2 that had success, look at them. it just takes time and the right people in the right places.
CSU Pueblo has no plan or desire to move up to D1. UNC did it and now they are a joke. From what I hear CSU Pueblo's main goal is to be a top team in D2 and they are now there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM

For those of you who did not get a chance to see the game here are some highlights.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:11 PM

The final poll was released today and obviously CSU Pueblo is number 1.

Colorado State-Pueblo has been ranked No. 1 in the AFCA Division II Coaches’ Top 25 Poll six times in the program’s short history, but the seventh time means the most. The ThunderWolves shutout No. 2 Minnesota State-Mankato, 13-0, in the NCAA Division II national championship game to earn the school’s first national title in any sport. This was the first shutout in the national title game since 1997 when Northern Colorado beat New Haven (Conn.), 51-0. Colorado State-Pueblo finishes the season ranked No. 1 with a school-record 14 wins in 2014.

The link: Colorado State-Pueblo Ends 2014 No. 1 in Division II Poll

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM

I was at the Bronco game today and they announced the CSU Pueblo team showed clips from the game and congratulated them on winning the national championship. Very nice thank you Broncos!

This is a pic of it on the main screen.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
CSU Pueblo has no plan or desire to move up to D1. UNC did it and now they are a joke. From what I hear CSU Pueblo's main goal is to be a top team in D2 and they are now there.
Before you go about telling everyone what a joke UNC is, you should remember that rise of the RMAC and CSUP is directly related to the decisions made by UNC, NDSU, and SDSU to move from DII to DI-FCS. Before that time, most of the better athletes went to the North Central Conference schools because it was a much better conference -- especially in football.

While the UNC football team has faltered, UNC has made the DI tournament in Women's Volleyball four times and in Men's basketball as well. They also have the only DI baseball team in Colorado (aside from AFA, but they are a different animal).

CSUP has done great things in 7 years, but their coach will be poached at some point to a larger program.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Before you go about telling everyone what a joke UNC is, you should remember that rise of the RMAC and CSUP is directly related to the decisions made by UNC, NDSU, and SDSU to move from DII to DI-FCS. Before that time, most of the better athletes went to the North Central Conference schools because it was a much better conference -- especially in football.

While the UNC football team has faltered, UNC has made the DI tournament in Women's Volleyball four times and in Men's basketball as well. They also have the only DI baseball team in Colorado (aside from AFA, but they are a different animal).

CSUP has done great things in 7 years, but their coach will be poached at some point to a larger program.
Interesting. I have not heard that before so can not comment on it. I just know that most people say UNC should of stayed in D2.

Will the coach leave from CSU Pueblo to a larger university? While anything is possible I do not see that happening. He is a Puebloan and his wife is from here and has a good job at St Mary Corwin Medical Center. I have heard talk of him getting a raise and the university making some much needed improvements at the Thunderbowl as well as adding more scholarships. That should happen to give them the best chance to keep winning D2 national titles.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Interesting. I have not heard that before so can not comment on it. I just know that most people say UNC should of stayed in D2.

Will the coach leave from CSU Pueblo to a larger university? While anything is possible I do not see that happening. He is a Puebloan and his wife is from here and has a good job at St Mary Corwin Medical Center. I have heard talk of him getting a raise and the university making some much needed improvements at the Thunderbowl as well as adding more scholarships. That should happen to give them the best chance to keep winning D2 national titles.
Depends. What if a bottom-tier BCS team offers him a job? It's unlikely, but there's always the possibility of seeking further recognition in a more recognizable area of college football.

CU needs all the help it can get.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Depends. What if a bottom-tier BCS team offers him a job? It's unlikely, but there's always the possibility of seeking further recognition in a more recognizable area of college football.

CU needs all the help it can get.
CU needs a lot of help. As it stands now CSU Pueblo is the only college football team in the state with a chance of winning more national titles this decade. I just do not see the coach leaving because of that on top of the other reasons I mentioned. Kind of like Fisher DeBerry of the Air Force a few years ago. Sure he could of left but never wanted too and retired from there.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:30 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
CU has never been more irrelevant. I'm quite sure that Air Force would stomp them and CSU Fort Collins had better stop playing the Buffs to bump up their sos.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
CU has never been more irrelevant. I'm quite sure that Air Force would stomp them and CSU Fort Collins had better stop playing the Buffs to bump up their sos.
CSU Fort Collins? No, there's CSU, CSU Global, and CSU-Pueblo.

Coming soon: CSU Denver: CSU's school of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football