Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 02:27 PM

27,226 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State become bowl eligible this year, both in Conference USA. Given the success in the FBS of former FCS programs like Appalachian State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, Old Dominion and UT-San Antonio there's another group chomping at the bit to move up. Given their playoff/championship successes over the years it would seem schools like North Dakota State, Montana State, South Dakota State and Richmond might be good options. Idaho is moving back to the FBS from FCS with the Sun Belt. The Mountain West could really bolster itself with the first three and maybe Richmond into the Sun Belt with longtime rival James Madison, App State and Old Dominion? What other programs can you see moving up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 04:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 975,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State become bowl eligible this year, both in Conference USA. Given the success in the FBS of former FCS programs like Appalachian State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, Old Dominion and UT-San Antonio there's another group chomping at the bit to move up. Given their playoff/championship successes over the years it would seem schools like North Dakota State, Montana State, South Dakota State and Richmond might be good options. Idaho is moving back to the FBS from FCS with the Sun Belt. The Mountain West could really bolster itself with the first three and maybe Richmond into the Sun Belt with longtime rival James Madison, App State and Old Dominion? What other programs can you see moving up?
Where did you find that Idaho is moving back to the FBS?

Old 07-12-2023, 09:31 AM

27,226 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Where did you find that Idaho is moving back to the FBS?
Crossed wires. I had read a quick blurb involving the Sunbelt Conference but turns out it was in reference to NOT renewing their football-only contract back in 2017. They will remain for now in the Big Sky conference.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:01 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Crossed wires. I had read a quick blurb involving the Sunbelt Conference but turns out it was in reference to NOT renewing their football-only contract back in 2017. They will remain for now in the Big Sky conference.
I grew up being a Vandal fan because a lot of my family moved up decades ago. Back then Boise was a JUCO and Idaho had just moved out of what became the PAC.

These days with Boise being as good as they are I don't think Idaho has any business playing D1. Not with a 14K stadium and with opponents like Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Montana and Montana State in that area. It would be fun to get them play Wazzu again sometimes since you can basically walk from one campus to the other. Maybe they could alternate Boise and Washington State.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I grew up being a Vandal fan because a lot of my family moved up decades ago. Back then Boise was a JUCO and Idaho had just moved out of what became the PAC.

These days with Boise being as good as they are I don't think Idaho has any business playing D1. Not with a 14K stadium and with opponents like Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Montana and Montana State in that area. It would be fun to get them play Wazzu again sometimes since you can basically walk from one campus to the other. Maybe they could alternate Boise and Washington State.
Idaho was a powerhouse back in the '80s and '90s. They regularly beat down Boise then. Too bad the schools do not play today. Would be good for the state. But I do think the Idaho/Idaho State rivalry could be a good one for years to come with Idaho at the FCS level.

I also agree about playing WA State. Good news is there are games scheduled for 2025, 2027, and 2029. All the games are WA State home games.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Idaho was a powerhouse back in the '80s and '90s. They regularly beat down Boise then. Too bad the schools do not play today. Would be good for the state. But I do think the Idaho/Idaho State rivalry could be a good one for years to come with Idaho at the FCS level.

I also agree about playing WA State. Good news is there are games scheduled for 2025, 2027, and 2029. All the games are WA State home games.
Looking forward to those WSU games although UI will likely get throttled. I know they have played Boise off and on even after Boise's emergence as a D1 Power.

In 1-AA I can see Idaho having success because so many teams have had success up there through the years. If EWU, the Griz and the Bobcats can be at the top, you'd think the Vandals could be as well.

I'm just broken hearted that UI will forever be linked to a horrible murder as opposed to being the lovely little campus in a great little college town.... that it actually is.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to those WSU games although UI will likely get throttled. I know they have played Boise off and on even after Boise's emergence as a D1 Power.

In 1-AA I can see Idaho having success because so many teams have had success up there through the years. If EWU, the Griz and the Bobcats can be at the top, you'd think the Vandals could be as well.

I'm just broken hearted that UI will forever be linked to a horrible murder as opposed to being the lovely little campus in a great little college town.... that it actually is.
I doubt Idaho will play Boise again any time soon. Idaho hasn't beat them in decades.

Never been to Idaho myself, did you attend UI?

Old 07-21-2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I doubt Idaho will play Boise again any time soon. Idaho hasn't beat them in decades.

Never been to Idaho myself, did you attend UI?
Nah, what happened is that one of my grandmother's entire family (and there were a bunch of them) moved to Idaho during the depression. My grandmother and her sister stayed behind here in Oklahoma and married two brothers. I grew up with occasional trips to Idaho to visit extended family. Got to know some of them well and go up there every five summers or so. They are all over the state now but a couple of cousins are in Moscow. I usually hit Moscow on the way to Seattle where I have another cousin on the other side of the family.

If it didn't get so hot in Oklahoma I probably wouldn't go up there as much as I do... But it's hard to beat the PNW in the summer.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nah, what happened is that one of my grandmother's entire family (and there were a bunch of them) moved to Idaho during the depression. My grandmother and her sister stayed behind here in Oklahoma and married two brothers. I grew up with occasional trips to Idaho to visit extended family. Got to know some of them well and go up there every five summers or so. They are all over the state now but a couple of cousins are in Moscow. I usually hit Moscow on the way to Seattle where I have another cousin on the other side of the family.

If it didn't get so hot in Oklahoma I probably wouldn't go up there as much as I do... But it's hard to beat the PNW in the summer.
Cool story. How do you like Moscow? Is it about the same size as Pullman? I've never been.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Cool story. How do you like Moscow? Is it about the same size as Pullman? I've never been.
Yes, they are the same size. They are about eight miles apart and the Universities are the first things you hit from coming from the other town.

Moscow is actually the nicer town in many ways. It's prettier and it has a much nicer downtown and it has much nicer older neighborhoods. It sits right in the shadow of Moscow mountain.

Pullman is actually out on the Palouse which are these barren hills where they grow wheat. Pullman sits on four hills with the main walkway at WSU being on top of one of them (with the campus going down the sides). You better be fit if you go there because you are gonna be walking up a serious hill to class every day.

The downtown is tiny and the other three hills are mostly student ghetto. Very little in the way of grand old neighborhoods like you see in Moscow.

But Pullman has come a long way. A lot of the money in Western Washington has come that way. It used to be that ALL of the decent eating places and bars were in Moscow. Now Pullman has some swanky places, ethnic places and the like. There are also some very nice newer neighborhoods on the edges of town (more than Moscow).

Between the two towns is the airport and the shopping mall.

There is no place like it. Two major state University towns being out in the middle of nowhere together. But it is kind of a cool set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football