Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Looking the other way while kids are raped is a bit more than a lapse in judgement.
Exactly, there are degrees of mistakes. I can forgive someone for looking the other way if a kid took money under the table. But to fail to report a rapist and child abuser is something even most less than ethical people know where to draw the line.

For all the people that says "You are being judgemental and unfair" Tell that to the parents of the children that were raped or that 10 year old who was molested that day. It's your responsibility to be judgemental and punish people like Joe Pa for failing to act. Before you feel sorry for Joe, maybe you should direct those concerns to the children who were abused.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Paterno and all better start lawyering up. This is going to get very very ugly.
Paterno needs to drop such actions. He is only going to live another 10 years at most. Wasting your life on lawyers and in the courts instead of spending time with his family is foolish. If he is the honorable and righteous person he always portrayed then he should accept his firing, accept his mistake, acknowledge his mistake and set an example of someone who can be humbled and accept responsibility for their actions instead of treating this like a football game and trying to "win" credibility. All this is doing is making JoePa look worse in most peoples eyes.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Paterno needs to drop such actions. He is only going to live another 10 years at most. Wasting your life on lawyers and in the courts instead of spending time with his family is foolish. If he is the honorable and righteous person he always portrayed then he should accept his firing, accept his mistake, acknowledge his mistake and set an example of someone who can be humbled and accept responsibility for their actions instead of treating this like a football game and trying to "win" credibility. All this is doing is making JoePa look worse in most peoples eyes.
That's hardly what I'm talking about. There's going to be civil suits up the ying-yang, along with what his culpability was in this mess, among other legal issues. He needs to lawyer up and so do many others.

Again, THIS has nothing to do with Penn State football. Nothing at all.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
I just came across this... This thing is getting stranger and stranger and more and more disgusting by the minute!! New Jerry Sandusky Rumor Threatens To Make Penn State Scandal Much Worse - SBNation.com

Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I don't really know anyone who has been the victim of a child abuser--thankfully and luckily--
but I watch SVU and I can tell you the stories on there are often times just slightly rewritten from national news stories--
there was one already this year about a well-respected basketball coach being inducted into a national hall of fame for his years of work with a youth organization for underpriviledged kids (think black, inner-city) who was a predator for decades...and used his organization as feeding ground for his activity
one of his child prodigies who made it to the NBA was also one of his victims who finally had the courage to speak out...

so nothing that Sandusky could be acused of doing would surprise me--
when you are a predator of children you can justify any iniquity to feed that habit...
and the Spanish proverb fits--"cada oveja con su pareja"--
Every sheep with its pair--meaning where there is one, there are others...

It would not surprise me at all to find out that the Second Mile was used to facilitate supplying boys to other sexual predators...

Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Again, THIS has nothing to do with Penn State football. Nothing at all.
Amen.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,469 times
A28 year old man graduate assistant walks in on a old guy having sex in the shower with a 10 year old little boy then leaves to tell papa joe what he saw. Fluck that, there should have been a serious azzwhopping right then and there. The type of azz whoppin that causes permanant damage, go tell Joe who the hell is Joe, it's time to beat this scum bag old man half or completely to death. What the hell is wrong with people?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Guess what, he's going to waste his time on lawyers and in the courts whether he wants to or not because the lawsuits will be flying in his direction, not the other way around. He might as well get a lawyer on his side of the table. He already knows it, and he already has lawyered up.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
A28 year old man graduate assistant walks in on a old guy having sex in the shower with a 10 year old little boy then leaves to tell papa joe what he saw. Fluck that, there should have been a serious azzwhopping right then and there. The type of azz whoppin that causes permanant damage, go tell Joe who the hell is Joe, it's time to beat this scum bag old man half or completely to death. What the hell is wrong with people?
not going to the police was kind of odd when you think of penn state's alma mater:

"When we stood at childhood's gate, Shapeless in the hands of fate, .... May no act of ours bring shame"

The Penn State Alma Mater

For the glory of old State,
For her founders strong and great,
For the future that we wait,
Raise the song, raise the song.

Sing our love and loyalty,
Sing our hopes that, bright and free,
Rest, O Mother dear, with thee,
All with thee, all with thee.

(Softly)

When we stood at childhood's gate,
Shapeless in the hands of fate,
Thou didst mold us, dear old State,
Dear old State, dear old State.

(Louder)

May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Joe Paterno should have had the guts to stand up and say, "I'm Joe Paterno, this is my school, and that crap doesn't happen on my watch."

He should have called the cops, the D.A. and the dog catcher to clean that scum out of his locker room. Legacy? He could have had a legacy as the man who did the right thing.
BINGO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Lock up the rapist, take all his money, forget he ever existed.
Problem solved.
No...the problem isn't solved by locking up the rapist. There were too many PSU officials who were involved in the COVER UP of children being raped. They also need to be held accountable for their silence and failure to report child abuse to the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
JoePa was in the wrong for not going to authorities, YES.

BUT, he's done more for Penn State than any single individual ever has. He turned a mediocre football team into a powerhouse in college football. He's donated millions of his own salary BACK to Penn State for different projects. He's encouraged students to excel in both sports AND academics, being a proponent of getting good grades.

I'm not for vilifying someone because of a single mistake in life, God knows we've all made them. I would never damn an individual who has done SO MUCH for having an error in judgement.

Time will only tell what happens but Penn State might come under some serious financial hurt if the big alumni donors stop future donations to the school. I'm thinking the board might've shot themselves in the foot by firing someone who pledge to quietly resign after this season. If they would've let JoePa finish out the season, they would've avoided a lot of this chaos.
I don't care how much he has done for PSU. I could care less about how much $$$ he brought to Happy Valley (Remember--I was a long time fan of JoePa). The bottom line is he FAILED in his moral obligations to report Sandusky to the police. When he realized the AD and the President of PSU were not going to report it to the police, he should have had the guts to stand up and say "H*LL NO!! The police need to know about this!" But he didn't.

This was no "error in judgement". This was GROSS NEGLIGENCE! I think you would feel differently if you had a son that was being sexually abused by Sandusky.

WHY is McQueary still on staff???? He needs to GO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football