Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The entire mindset of this college is crazy. A hundred or so PSU students showed up to a rally to support the victims. Thousands showed up to a rally to support Joe Pa. That is insane. Everything related to this case leaves me speechless, close to physically ill, sad, and extremely mad.
This is totally untrue!! Several thousand students showed up at the candlelight vigil! Our local news station covered it and the crowd of students were amazing. Don't lump all PSU students as crazy.

Several thousand gather on campus lawn to pray for abused boys

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm seeing a lot of comments about shutting down the football program and such. This is NOT the student's fault. Why should these football players be punished for the crimes? This is the fault of faculty and administration!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
This is totally untrue!! Several thousand students showed up at the candlelight vigil! Our local news station covered it and the crowd of students were amazing. Don't lump all PSU students as crazy.

Several thousand gather on campus lawn to pray for abused boys
(mod cut-delete), this vigil is a PR stunt. . . these students should have been protesting to cancel the game and the rest of the season.

It's all about the money and the good ole boys club.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-13-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
(mod cut-delete), this vigil is a PR stunt. . . these students should have been protesting to cancel the game and the rest of the season.

It's all about the money and the good ole boys club.
Why is it so hard for you to believe there are good students at PSU? Good students with morals? My cousin's daughter attends PSU and she is appalled at the entire mess. In no way, shape or form, does she condone what happened. She was NOT part of the group that rioted, however, she was part of the group attending the candlelight vigil.

Again---this entire tragedy is NOT the student's fault. It is the FAULT of Sandusky, JoePa, McQueary (father and son), Curley, Schultz, Spanier and the janatorial supervisor! There's probably people involved that work for the Second Mile foundation as well. They all need to be charged.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,305 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard for you to believe there are good students at PSU? Good students with morals? My cousin's daughter attends PSU and she is appalled at the entire mess. In no way, shape or form, does she condone what happened. She was NOT part of the group that rioted, however, she was part of the group attending the candlelight vigil.

Again---this entire tragedy is NOT the student's fault. It is the FAULT of Sandusky, JoePa, McQueary (father and son), Curley, Schultz, Spanier and the janatorial supervisor! There's probably people involved that work for the Second Mile foundation as well. They all need to be charged.
I've never made reference to the students being good or bad, I was being critical of the publicity stunt of the vigil organized by the school, has nothing to with them. I don't condone the rioting and students have a right to protest but their anger was displaced on the wrong source.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
There used to be a saying that one " oh s**t" wipes out a thousand "att-a boys"
It has never been more applicable than this case.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of comments about shutting down the football program and such. This is NOT the student's fault. Why should these football players be punished for the crimes? This is the fault of faculty and administration!

Because the culture surrounding the football program is what caused this entire scandal. So the best thing to do would probably be to dissolve the football program for a few years and then start over from scratch.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
I've never made reference to the students being good or bad, I was being critical of the publicity stunt of the vigil organized by the school, has nothing to with them. I don't condone the rioting and students have a right to protest but their anger was displaced on the wrong source.
I do agree with your last sentence. I don't condone the rioting either and you are correct...the ones who were rioting --their anger was certainly displaced! I do believe there are some higher ups at PSU who are as shocked and outraged as the rest of us are.

I am just hearing all about the students who were rioting. Just because the school organized a candlelight vigil does not mean the students had to show up! They showed up ...not a hundred or so, but thousands showed up in support of the victims in this case. I don't hear anything about this. One poster posted only a hundred showed up at the vigil--so untrue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Because the culture surrounding the football program is what caused this entire scandal. So the best thing to do would probably be to dissolve the football program for a few years and then start over from scratch.
I respectfully disagree with you! These kids worked hard through high school and won a place at an illustrious school, probably most on football scholarships. Most of them dream of going on to the NFL. Why should their dreams be smashed because of some stupid scumbags that don't know the value of a child, that robbed innocence from children, that fooled a state, a nation. These kids are NOT AT FAULT. They should be permitted to play football in their college years under new coaches. Oust the ones who are responsible!! Don't punish the kids who want to play football by dissolving the football program! They can't get back their college years once they are gone.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I know that PSU was having its financial rating checked recently after this scandal broke

will be interesting to see how many of its past donors believe that PSU is more than a football program or can get past the complicity of the president and other admins involved in pretty long term coverup of the possibility Sandusky was guilty...
if people really belive that PSU is a great school and has more to offer than just a football program run amuck, then money should still come in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football