Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
More misinformation. Sandusky was not employed by Joe Paterno or Penn State at the time of the incident. Joe had no control over his access to campus as per Sandusky's retirement package.
He sure was when McQuery saw it.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That sums it up nicely.

Those who wish to defend that POS can do so until they are blue in the face. His failure will never be acceptable to me. Good riddance to him.
And the same can be said about your opinion.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
More misinformation. Sandusky was not employed by Joe Paterno or Penn State at the time of the incident. Joe had no control over his access to campus as per Sandusky's retirement package.
I love how out-of-staters know so much about PSU! Everything they know about this scandal is through the media and we all KNOW how accurate the media is! According to the media, JoePa died last night!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
He sure was when McQuery saw it.
Who was? Sandusky?

Sandusky retired in 1999. McQueary incident occurred in 2002.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Who was? Sandusky?

Good point!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Who was? Sandusky?

I recall an article he was still being paid in some form but not coaching. Either way it excuses nothing. Because a guy isn't on your staff anymore but is always around the program that makes better?

To clarify all the others are just a morally corrupt as well. Paterno just happened to run things and always talked about how clean/ethical his program was.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I love how out-of-staters know so much about PSU! Everything they know about this scandal is through the media and we all KNOW how accurate the media is! According to the media, JoePa died last night!
Anyone who went to Penn State, knows the Penn State community, or knows someone from Penn State is aware of all the good things and integrity Joe Paterno displayed over 85 years. There are hundreds of personal accounts of the positive impact the man has had on peoples lives.

Could he have handled things differently/better with the McQueary report? Yes, of course.

However, no one will ever convince me the man took the actions he did to protect Sandusky or the football program image. I fully believe he thought the actions he took were appropriate based on what he knew at the time. I'm sure he wished he could handle it differently with what had transpired since.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I recall an article he was still being paid in some form but not coaching. Either way it excuses nothing. Because a guy isn't on your staff anymore but is always around the program that makes better?

To clarify all the others are just a morally corrupt as well. Paterno just happened to run things and always talked about how clean/ethical his program was.

He wasn't being paid as an employee. He was getting his pension from the University and was still on staff of his charity is maybe what you're referring to.

I don't know whether your report that he was "always around the program" is accurate or not. I heard he would bring the kids from his charity around practice at times, but I don't think he was always around.

He did have access to the football facility as part of his retirement. After the incident in 2002, he was banned from bringing the children from his charity onto campus. I think he still did on a few occasions however. Which Penn State has yet to explain why that was allowed.

Also, after the McQueary incident was reported, school officials did report the incident to Sandusky's charity.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Anyone who went to Penn State, knows the Penn State community, or knows someone from Penn State is aware of all the good things and integrity Joe Paterno displayed over 85 years. There are hundreds of personal accounts of the positive impact the man has had on peoples lives.
The good is rightfully overlooked by the masses because of him doing the moral minnimum with serious and disgusting activity occurring around him at the university he built. Good men are measured by how they act in bad times/situations, not good times/situations...

Quote:
Could he have handled things differently/better with the McQueary report? Yes, of course.
It goes back even before that, to 1998, when he retired Sandusky.

Quote:
However, no one will ever convince me the man took the actions he did to protect Sandusky or the football program image. I fully believe he thought the actions he took were appropriate based on what he knew at the time. I'm sure he wished he could handle it differently with what had transpired since.
(mod edit-sentence deleted)The only reason he cared about handling this differently is because of how he will look down the road.

If it was about the kids, he would have done more in 1998, or 2002, or even 2007, but he didn't. I can understand dropping the ball in 1998, but in 2002, hearing about the same activity being conducted by the same man from a GA who is acting oddly, it is inexcusible. He should have picked up the phone the second time around and called the police. He dropped the ball when it mattered the most...multiple times.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-22-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
It's nice to know that Penn State can have this outpouring of emotion for Joe....after rushing to defend him when the scandal broke.

I would like to note that had Penn state had a poor program....Paterno would have been fired 40 years ago.

So, it's realy sad that WINNING GAMES somehow grants you some sort of immunity from scrutiny and criticism.

Yeah folks let that sink in....Paterno is beloved and protected because he WON football games. His conscious decision was to give a mulligan to a child molester.

It's pretty cool that those of use that DESPISE the ability to rape kids as long as you are winning football games....are met by those that make claims that this is all some sort of *media bias* when really, you've just bought into the nostalgia and cannot come to grips with reality. It's cool though, there are many in the catholic church that claim the preist scandals aren't real either and are the work of the devil.

Hey at least you had a successful football program. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football