Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think more importantly it would tell the rest of college football that message as well. PSU is not the only college where football rules the land.
Absolutely correct, and I was thinking the same thing as well. This is not just a PSU problem; it's really a cultural problem here. Not the specific incidents, but the larger problem of over-emphasizing the importance of sports. I love sports as much as anyone else, esp. college football, but when we're busier building college athletics facilities and professional sports stadiums than we are building schools or even keeping cities and states from going bankrupt, something's terribly out of alignment. Likewise, if we're more interested in seeing our beloved institution in a BCS bowl than we are protecting innocent victims from crime, then something's terribly wrong. I really think the response needs to be perhaps a bit over-the-top. The problem here is that, there was a cover-up, and we're not talking about secret booster payments resulting in one team having an unfair advantage over its competition; the consequences were ruined lives.

The thing is, I don't know whether NCAA even has guidelines for dealing with this sort of legal problem. Perhaps it should, but does it? Or does NCAA see this as strictly a criminal matter? Even if NCAA's hands are tied, I would hope that pressure would be put on Penn St. to make a voluntary withdrawal. Maybe the lawsuits will take care of that. Maybe that could be part of the settlement, in addition to restitution to the victims. Just keep PSU off the field and off the air for a good five years or so.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, after the criminal conviction I figured a lot more would come forward.

If you come forward before you had to be part of the glare, ugliness and then of course the threats from PSU fans on top of that.

Now you can come forward and take part in the civil suit and get the benefits without having to take all the heat and abuse the first guys did.
Well, some rape victims are more timid than others.

Of course there will be more than one false claim trying to jump on the civil suit bandwagon.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
This is my opinion of what should happen to the Penn State football program.

First, from the point where the first molestation occurred to present, any and all games must be forfeited. Period. This includes bowl games.

Second, any monies from bowls and/or television from said forfeited games must be forfeited as well. (Always good to hit them in the pockets. Makes them pay attention.)

Third, no Penn State football for at least a five year period. No coaches or staff from the Paterno era will ever be permitted to participate in future Penn State football. Current players have the option to transfer to other schools with immediate eligibility or they may remain at Penn State with a full, non-football scholarship.

Plus any criminal charges.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
"Step aside, Butch"
If Mike had done something from the get-go, it would/could have gone like this:

"Step aside, Mike." If I had walked in on something like that, I'd have grabbed a broom and beaten Jerry's face in with it. I wouldn't have stopped until Jerry was a lifeless, bloody corpse. I absolutely hate child molesters and those who enable such things. Mike "The Ginger" McQueery will forever be known as a coward.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Absolutely correct, and I was thinking the same thing as well. This is not just a PSU problem; it's really a cultural problem here. Not the specific incidents, but the larger problem of over-emphasizing the importance of sports. I love sports as much as anyone else, esp. college football, but when we're busier building college athletics facilities and professional sports stadiums than we are building schools or even keeping cities and states from going bankrupt, something's terribly out of alignment. Likewise, if we're more interested in seeing our beloved institution in a BCS bowl than we are protecting innocent victims from crime, then something's terribly wrong. I really think the response needs to be perhaps a bit over-the-top. The problem here is that, there was a cover-up, and we're not talking about secret booster payments resulting in one team having an unfair advantage over its competition; the consequences were ruined lives.

The thing is, I don't know whether NCAA even has guidelines for dealing with this sort of legal problem. Perhaps it should, but does it? Or does NCAA see this as strictly a criminal matter? Even if NCAA's hands are tied, I would hope that pressure would be put on Penn St. to make a voluntary withdrawal. Maybe the lawsuits will take care of that. Maybe that could be part of the settlement, in addition to restitution to the victims. Just keep PSU off the field and off the air for a good five years or so.
On the bright side few coaches these days build a program from the ground up and stay 30 years. I think it's less likely even at schools where football is huge for a President and an AD to cover up for a guy who has been there five years.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here is the wiki-list of schools that got the death penalty and why.

Death penalty (NCAA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Bayless. Penn State should not be punished by the NCAA. All the teams on that list benefited from their actions. How is Penn State benefiting from this? The university has already taken a huge blow. It's not the NCAA's duty to step in. Leave this to the FBI, police etc. Paterno & Sandusky are taken care of. No need to punish the current football players. What did they do?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Bayless. Penn State should not be punished by the NCAA. All the teams on that list benefited from their actions. How is Penn State benefiting from this? The university has already taken a huge blow. It's not the NCAA's duty to step in. Leave this to the FBI, police etc. Paterno & Sandusky are taken care of. No need to punish the current football players. What did they do?
Well if the NCAA as to punish then they could let the players transfer any place they wanted without having to sit out.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
That's not the way the NCAA works (see the USC/Reggie Bush scandal).

SMU gave players cars & cash to come to their school. To any fair-minded person, that totally pales in comparison to a criminal serial child rapist coverup by the coaches, AD, and school president for the sole purpose of maintaining their reputation & cash flow from the football program.

Those criminals should've thought of that before they turned their backs on those little boys.

Why any player with a conscience would want to play there under that nasty shadow and be comfortable would be a puzzle.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
The NCAA did punish Baylor's basketball program for interfering with a police investigation, although that was just one thing they were in trouble for, there were also several infractions that were more in line with more traditional rules violations. Still, they have shown they will act in cases where there is criminal activity involved within a program, particularly a program committing obstruction of justice.

I think if they don't give the death penalty the justification may be that it is technically PSU's "first offense," which is ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think more importantly it would tell the rest of college football that message as well. PSU is not the only college where football rules the land.

I thought an 18 year old recruit from Memphis had the right take on football coaches.

He committed to Arkansas and was asked if the "fiasco" with Bobby Petrino made him re-consider.

He said it didn't and said-----------" Bobby Petrino didn't make the U of Arkansas. The U of Arkansas made Bobby Petrino "

Strange that an 18 year old sees it, but others in suits and ties at universities don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football