Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM

474 posts, read 905,004 times

Advertisements

My opinion, based on the power of the athletic department and the impact of sports on the university. I'm not talking about abuse of children. I'm talking about the desire and willingness to protect the football and athletes at all cost.

#1 - Texas. Makes more money than any other university. Completely capable of sweeping things under the rug. Star athletes treated with kid gloves. Most selfish program in the US.

#2 - Ohio State. Another version of Texas. Only they have been caught already doing stupid things (covering up bad behavior by athletes).

#3 - Oklahoma. Ignored Rhett Bhomar's no-work-but-get-paid job. How do you not know your star QB is working at a car dealer? More than most other big schools, OK is even more dominated by football since their other sports are weak.

#4 - LSU. The entire state would cover for any abuses at this school.

#5 - USC. Done it already. Will do it again.

Past perceived "cleanliness" is no indicator of real integrity, as Penn State showed.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
It could happen anywhere. It only takes one person for a cover up.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
My opinion, based on the power of the athletic department and the impact of sports on the university. I'm not talking about abuse of children. I'm talking about the desire and willingness to protect the football and athletes at all cost.

#1 - Texas. Makes more money than any other university. Completely capable of sweeping things under the rug. Star athletes treated with kid gloves. Most selfish program in the US.

#2 - Ohio State. Another version of Texas. Only they have been caught already doing stupid things (covering up bad behavior by athletes).

#3 - Oklahoma. Ignored Rhett Bhomar's no-work-but-get-paid job. How do you not know your star QB is working at a car dealer? More than most other big schools, OK is even more dominated by football since their other sports are weak.

#4 - LSU. The entire state would cover for any abuses at this school.

#5 - USC. Done it already. Will do it again.

Past perceived "cleanliness" is no indicator of real integrity, as Penn State showed.
The problem I have with your suggestions (other than my school at the top obviously, lol) is you are taking money into the largest consideration over culture. I think that the cultures around many of the programs is just as big a problem when it comes to these issues as how much money they bring in is. If not a larger part of the problem. Look for the schools that have the biggest cult type culture around their programs. Texas may make a lot of money, but the culture is not even half as football crazy as many other schools.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The problem I have with your suggestions (other than my school at the top obviously, lol) is you are taking money into the largest consideration over culture. I think that the cultures around many of the programs is just as big a problem when it comes to these issues as how much money they bring in is. If not a larger part of the problem. Look for the schools that have the biggest cult type culture around their programs. Texas may make a lot of money, but the culture is not even half as football crazy as many other schools.
I disagree about Texas' football culture. I live in the area (20+ years). Football (and the money associated with it) rules. It pays for everything else. Texas' power in sports may be unmatched. And if a hideous event were to occur in Austin, there is crazy motivation to protect it. No one has been more protected than Ricky Williams, Vince Young, etc. The difference I suppose between PSU and everyone else is the longevity of Paterno. Texas doesn't have a cult following on football like PSU - because many UT fans are fair weather oriented.

Alabama has such a cult following. But they couldn't hide as easily. Probably not smart enough and too many Auburn people looking under the furniture for dirt.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
That is just not true. There are many many examples of stars at UT getting in trouble and kicked off the team. It happens all the time. Heck last year they fired the associate director of football operations for making unwanted advances at a young lady. Given how many big time stars have gotten in trouble and kicked off the team, and that they would fire their football director rather than cover it up, I just can't buy your assumptions. Whatever it is you see going on there is nothing like what I see through my burnt orange shades. lol.

And even beyond all that, here is the biggest reason I just can't see something like that happening in Austin. Because it is in Austin. In cities like LA/Miami you get the pro influence, and plenty of other teams (Lakers, Dolphins, ...). In small towns (like B/CS) the media has time and again protected the school, and you also often have cult type following in those small towns. But in Austin it is a huge city, with lots of media and that media is focused directly at UT. Further because Austin is such a large city with tons of non-UT fans that media has no interest in protecting UT. When something happens at UT, the world knows immediately. lol.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It could happen anywhere. It only takes one person for a cover up.
Sadly, this right here is the true rational answer.

No need to defend any of our schools. Although we hope it will not happen at our favorite school, nothing in this world should surprise anyone.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM

BevoLJ, there is no school that works harder to "keep it in the family" as Texas. That is Mack Brown's seeming obsession. Yes they have kicked players off the team. But any stars? Ricky Williams does less than 24 hours in jail after he kicks down the door of an apartment because he thinks his flat panel TV is in there?

As for culture, the culture at Texas is make money. More than win championships. They will do everything in their power to keep the money flowing into skyboxes, TV stations, etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
BevoLJ, there is no school that works harder to "keep it in the family" as Texas. That is Mack Brown's seeming obsession. Yes they have kicked players off the team. But any stars? Ricky Williams does less than 24 hours in jail after he kicks down the door of an apartment because he thinks his flat panel TV is in there?

As for culture, the culture at Texas is make money. More than win championships. They will do everything in their power to keep the money flowing into skyboxes, TV stations, etc.
Get your facts straight - Ricky Williams did no such thing. That was Cedric Benson who was charged with criminal trespass but was released early because the Travis County jail was overcrowded (probably full of drunk students). He kicked down the door because supposedly the occupant had stolen his plasma TV. Big deal.

For a local resident of 20 years you don't seem to know that much about the team and how miscreants are treated.

As far as UT being selfish, that's a lot of bushwah - look at what they did with their share of the "departure" money paid by Missouri and Nebraska.
Greedier than most, definitely, but selfish...not.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Sadly, this right here is the true rational answer.

No need to defend any of our schools. Although we hope it will not happen at our favorite school, nothing in this world should surprise anyone.
I agree.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Get your facts straight - Ricky Williams did no such thing. That was Cedric Benson who was charged with criminal trespass but was released early because the Travis County jail was overcrowded (probably full of drunk students). He kicked down the door because supposedly the occupant had stolen his plasma TV. Big deal.

For a local resident of 20 years you don't seem to know that much about the team and how miscreants are treated.

As far as UT being selfish, that's a lot of bushwah - look at what they did with their share of the "departure" money paid by Missouri and Nebraska.
Greedier than most, definitely, but selfish...not.
You're right. It was Cedric Benson. But it really doesn't matter who it was. If he wasn't a UT football star the overcrowded jail wouldn't have mattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football