Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM

92 posts, read 457,168 times

Advertisements

There are players, past and present, that anytime they touched the ball, were a homerun threat. It is obviously difficult to pick just one, so this can be an "In your lifetime" thread. After reviewing some names, it seems like they are all either RBs or kick returners.

Being a UM(iami) fan, there were a few. Frank Gore, Devin Hester and Edgerrin James were a threat to take it all the way everytime. But the one that I pick was one from another team and era altogether. Notre Dame's Rocket Ismail. He was breathtaking to watch, literally the closest thing to greased lightning I had seen. Others that pop up: Desmond Howard, Bo Jackson, Reggie Bush, Deion Sanders. I know there's a bunch of others, but remember, they had to be that special, touch-it-and-they're-gone types. It would also be interesting to hear of some slightly forgotten ones, that didn't necessarily go on to star at the next level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Barry Sanders.

/end thread

Frank Gore? Edgerrin James? LMFAO. They might make a top 50 "most dangerous player list since 1995". Probably not though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 11-18-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
In order... Bo Jackson > Herschel Walker > Rocket Ismail > Barry Sanders > Desmond Howard...

Randy Moss & Jerry Rice deserve honorable mentions. They just played at smaller schools.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
1988 Regular-season stats
Rushing: 344 rushes, 2,628 yards (7.6 ave), 37 TDs

fahgettaboudit. Anything else is incorrect.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
If we are talking dangerous as in dominant/game controling, I would go with Ndamukong Suh. I think Colt McCoy would back me up on this.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
O.J. Simpson. Two murders and armed-robbery.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
O.J. Simpson. Two murders and armed-robbery.
Lololol awesome

Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaGuy View Post
There are players, past and present, that anytime they touched the ball, were a homerun threat. It is obviously difficult to pick just one, so this can be an "In your lifetime" thread. After reviewing some names, it seems like they are all either RBs or kick returners.

Being a UM(iami) fan, there were a few. Frank Gore, Devin Hester and Edgerrin James were a threat to take it all the way everytime. But the one that I pick was one from another team and era altogether. Notre Dame's Rocket Ismail. He was breathtaking to watch, literally the closest thing to greased lightning I had seen. Others that pop up: Desmond Howard, Bo Jackson, Reggie Bush, Deion Sanders. I know there's a bunch of others, but remember, they had to be that special, touch-it-and-they're-gone types. It would also be interesting to hear of some slightly forgotten ones, that didn't necessarily go on to star at the next level.
I wasn't around during the Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers eras, but everything I've seen on tape tells me that opposing defenses probably dreaded seeing them on their schedules. Jim Brown had more than five yards per carry for his entire career. That means that it's an automatic first down if you just give him the ball twice. That's the definition of unstoppable.

Since I've been watching the game, which is about 30 years now, I'd have to say that Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Barry Sanders are the three names that immediately pop into my mind.

Emmitt Smith was pretty doggone good, too, but it was really more of a combination of Dallas' legendary O-line and Smith was just a relentless battering ram that finally turned five yard carries into 25 yard carries in the 3rd and 4th quarters. He would have been a 1,000 yard rusher on any team, but I'm not sure if he would have been quite as successful with a lesser team.

Now, imagine Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, or Marshall Faulk on a team that had the kind of O-line Dallas had.

But why restrict this conversation to running backs. What about Jerry Rice? What he did after the catch was something that kept defensive coordinators up all night the night before the big game.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
If we are talking dangerous as in dominant/game controling, I would go with Ndamukong Suh. I think Colt McCoy would back me up on this.
I like Suh. He's a throwback player, the kind of player that an upstart franchise like Detroit really needs. He's very reminiscent of Mean Joe Greene, and if you're going to draw analogies here, I think the Detroit Lions defense is what the Steelers Iron Curtain was in the early 1970s. A group of talented, angry, pissed-off, chip-on-the-shoulder players who are tired of losing and want to show up and stomp some you know what. I wish Andy Reid or Bill Belichick were the coach of that team. They'd get it done then for sure. I fear they're going to waste their talent.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I wasn't around during the Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers eras, but everything I've seen on tape tells me that opposing defenses probably dreaded seeing them on their schedules. Jim Brown had more than five yards per carry for his entire career. That means that it's an automatic first down if you just give him the ball twice. That's the definition of unstoppable.

Since I've been watching the game, which is about 30 years now, I'd have to say that Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Barry Sanders are the three names that immediately pop into my mind.

Emmitt Smith was pretty doggone good, too, but it was really more of a combination of Dallas' legendary O-line and Smith was just a relentless battering ram that finally turned five yard carries into 25 yard carries in the 3rd and 4th quarters. He would have been a 1,000 yard rusher on any team, but I'm not sure if he would have been quite as successful with a lesser team.

Now, imagine Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, or Marshall Faulk on a team that had the kind of O-line Dallas had.

But why restrict this conversation to running backs. What about Jerry Rice? What he did after the catch was something that kept defensive coordinators up all night the night before the big game.

We are talking college... Not their professional careers. Having said that I would add Marshall Faulk to my honorable mention list or smaller school players. He was dangerous... Eric Dickerson had to split time with Craig James who had similar numbers in college. so I would say it was more their offense than him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football