Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I reserve the term great for truly great things like a national championship. I have been torched on facebook and forums for posting this viewpoint. I say big deal to the Sugar Bowl, who cares. !

You mean like that Wisconsin team that has won its last 43 games and won the past TWO national championships.

(University of Wisconsin - Whitewater)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If it was a true national championship then there would be a playoff. Right now a bunch of folk who may or may not follow the sport closely vote on who they think is good. Games are won on the field. Yes while only two can make the championship, no reason not to have bowl for other teams with good seasons. Agree that 6-6 shouldnt be rewarded, but 9-3 should get some post season fun.

I don't think you should play for the National Title unless you WIN your conference. Enough said.
Many agree with you, including me

Since LSU won their's we know they at least belong in the national championship

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You mean like that Wisconsin team that has won its last 43 games and won the past TWO national championships.

(University of Wisconsin - Whitewater)
Exactly however keep in mind this that WW is D-3 school still very impressive nonetheless. UWW has a lot of Milwaukee players on both of basketball and football.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Many agree with you, including me

Since LSU won their's we know they at least belong in the national championship

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

No doubting LSU! But they deserve an OSU or Wisconsin (really OSU) as they beat Oregon and Alabama already AWAY FROM HOME!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Sorry but until we get a play off I'm not buying this line. All Bowls are bowls to me, some good some bad. LSU-Alabama will be a good match regardless of BCS silliness.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I agree And 34 Bowl Games will be more interesting than the National Title Game , and 34 I will try to watch, and those I watch I will ENJOY regardless, and have a good time.....and ONE I will skip because I don't care to waste 3 hours of my life sitting through a LSU/BAMA rematch

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Sorry but until we get a play off I'm not buying this line. All Bowls are bowls to me, some good some bad. LSU-Alabama will be a good match regardless of BCS silliness.
I agree...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
I would like to remind everyone that 34 of the 35 bowls are consolation prizes, mickey mouse, not a big deal. The only bowl or game that matters is the Championship game. People brag and celebrate a Rose Bowl or Orange bowl victory like they won the national championship game but in truth it's a playoff game without the next game to see who goes onto win the national championship. As a Miami Hurricane fan and avid badger hater I don't celebrate any other bowls except national championships. Getting to the Rose Bowl mean just as much as the Humanitarian Bowl. 35 bowls 70 teams is a joke and while I am glad when Miami makes it to a bowl for money purposes since it helps the program build on putting together a national championship. You won't see me celebrating a Cap One Bowl or a godaddy.com bowl. I will be happy but not over joyed let's not forget the goal here. Some teams are obviously happy with a rose bowl in 5 years. My reaction to winning 2004 Orange Bowl Miami over Fla State was more about beating State and not the bowl. I could care less what bowl it was I wanted to beat Fla State. Winning the Rose, Orange bowl, is a good season not a great one. I reserve the term great for truly great things like a national championship. I have been torched on facebook and forums for posting this viewpoint. I say big deal to the Sugar Bowl, who cares.

Let's keep our eye on the prize here!
Thanks for your opinion. I disagree. This year, I'm not all that excited about the BCS game, but can't wait to see some of the other bowls.

For example:
Wisconsin Vs Oregon, Kansas State Vs Arkansas, Stanford Vs Oklahoma State, & Michigan State Vs Georgia are all going to be exciting games. And we really don't have any clue how they're going to go. As for LSU Vs Alabama, we already have a pretty good idea of what kind of game that's going to be. It's going to be a good game, but I'm more excited about some of the other bowls instead.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Exactly however keep in mind this that WW is D-3 school still very impressive nonetheless. UWW has a lot of Milwaukee players on both of basketball and football.

Absolutely true. On December 19th, we will know which Division III is the best in the country.

In the FBS, it will always be a bone of contention. IOW, nothing is resolved.

I would make one more conjecture - that the three remaining Div III games will be infinitely more interesting that the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - Illinois (6-6) vs. UCLA (6-7).

Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would make one more conjecture - that the three remaining Div III games will be infinitely more interesting that the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - Illinois (6-6) vs. UCLA (6-7).
I don't know, usually whatever team Whitewater is playing ends up getting killed by 50 so that's a tough one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football