Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this years National Championship game?
Yes 17 58.62%
No 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
It's not SEC logic, it's the two best teams in the nation, logic. Whether you like it or not, the two best teams in the nation are playing in the championship game. That makes perfect sense. In fact Alabama is theoritically better than LSU, judging from the last game since they should have won.

It's not the SEC's fault that it's an extremely dominating football conference.
It appears most of the nation does not agree that Alabama and LSU are the two best teams... In fact, most thought OSU should have played in it.

Source:
Poll Conversation - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
It appears most of the nation does not agree that Alabama and LSU are the two best teams... In fact, most thought OSU should have played in it.

Source:
Poll Conversation - ESPN
I'm sure OSU fans loaded that poll up.

People need to stop being emotional about it. Alabama lost to the #1 team. OSU lost to an unranked team. End of story.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,960,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

People need to stop being emotional about it. Alabama lost to the #1 team. OSU lost to an unranked team. End of story.
Exactly, and the poll of course began before OSU lost, which in turn proves the poll to be a blunder.

The thing is, to say Alabama shouldn't be in it is totally unfair to Alabama. I'm an LSU fan. Most LSU fans don't want a rematch, but that's not justice for Alabama. I'd rather see justice prevail, and I'm glad that's what happened. Good for Alabama. May not be so good for LSU. But, justice has been served.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Exactly, and the poll of course began before OSU lost, which in turn proves the poll to be a blunder.

The thing is, to say Alabama shouldn't be in it is totally unfair to Alabama. I'm an LSU fan. Most LSU fans don't want a rematch, but that's not justice for Alabama. I'd rather see justice prevail, and I'm glad that's what happened. Good for Alabama. May not be so good for LSU. But, justice has been served.
As an LSU fan... you think it will be "justice" if Alabama beats you and wins the national title?

This is how it would look

LSU has beat Alabama
Alabama has beat LSU

LSU won the SEC and beat Georgia to do so
Alabama didn't even win their division, and played less games than LSU

Yet Alabama is the National Champion? Wtf kind of screwy logic is that? That's why this whole scenario of playing for a title without winning your division is just stupid...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:

I didn't hold the loss to Iowa St. against OSU - even great teams can be overconfident and have a bad game.

Having been impressed by their mutilation of the OU Sooners, I was fully on board the increasingly crowded OSU Cowboys bandwagon -- until last night. But I watched, and I kept waiting for OSU to prove to me that they had a top-ranked defense, and I didn't see it. All I saw instead were two teams who were quite good on offense, but couldn't make a key stop when they really needed to.

And I don't want to hear how godly Andrew Luck is: I watched Peyton freaking Manning for four years, and lemme tell ya, good defensive teams always, always find ways to stuff one-man gangs like Andrew Luck. There's a reason why Manning needed three years just to win the SEC title and why he never won a national title in college....as great as he was, good defenses are always going to be better than the sum of one great QB with a handful of stud skills players around him.

Big 12 homers and even some diehard Pac 12'ers keep talking about how LSU and Alabama play in a conference with no offense. I'd say that it's the other way around: Pac 12 and Big 12 haven't seen much defense. But ask Oregon what happens when one of your beloved teams takes on a school that can stuff the run and shut down the corners. Ain't gonna be much left to do except cry. And Big 12'ers are right, the SEC boys would make those high-scoring teams that they rant and rave about look pretty boring. Going from 50 points per game to about...oh, 10.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
As an LSU fan... you think it will be "justice" if Alabama beats you and wins the national title?

LSU has beat Alabama
Alabama has beat LSU

Yet Alabama is the National Champion? Wtf kind of screwy logic is that? That's why this whole scenario of playing for a title without winning your division is just stupid...
Yes... the two best teams in the nation makes perfect sense for the National Championship... perfect sense.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:

LSU has beat Alabama
Alabama has beat LSU

Ordinarily, this wouldn't happen, but the SEC has been so successful over the past five years (thanks in part to Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 teams that were unable to defeat them), that the reputation of the conference has perhaps created the impression that the SEC is some sort of super conference.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I didn't hold the loss to Iowa St. against OSU - even great teams can be overconfident and have a bad game.

Having been impressed by their mutilation of the OU Sooners, I was fully on board the increasingly crowded OSU Cowboys bandwagon -- until last night. But I watched, and I kept waiting for OSU to prove to me that they had a top-ranked defense, and I didn't see it. All I saw instead were two teams who were quite good on offense, but couldn't make a key stop when they really needed to.

And I don't want to hear how godly Andrew Luck is: I watched Peyton freaking Manning for four years, and lemme tell ya, good defensive teams always, always find ways to stuff one-man gangs like Andrew Luck. There's a reason why Manning needed three years just to win the SEC title and why he never won a national title in college....as great as he was, good defenses are always going to be better than the sum of one great QB with a handful of stud skills players around him.

Big 12 homers and even some diehard Pac 12'ers keep talking about how LSU and Alabama play in a conference with no offense. I'd say that it's the other way around: Pac 12 and Big 12 haven't seen much defense. But ask Oregon what happens when one of your beloved teams takes on a school that can stuff the run and shut down the corners. Ain't gonna be much left to do except cry. And Big 12'ers are right, the SEC boys would make those high-scoring teams that they rant and rave about look pretty boring. Going from 50 points per game to about...oh, 10.
Uuuumm, do I need to mention all the recievers and quarterbacks in the NFL that went to LSU? Let's just start with Matt Flynn for one. I'm sure you heard of him after last weekend.

Anyway, Just because the first LSU Alabama game was mostly defense, doesn't mean it's going to be like that this time, or that they have no offense.

What was the score of the LSU / Oregon game at the beginning of the year? It was 40 - 27. I say that because I get the impression that your implying the SEC is all about defense. I could be wrong though.

I'm trying to tell you something here. LSU has been having some serious quarterback issues the last few years. But, if Jordan Jefferson can play like he's been playing, since the Alabama game, we'll be ok. It all hinges on Jordan Jefferson.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Wtf kind of screwy logic is that? That's why this whole scenario of playing for a title without winning your division is just stupid...
So you think that only the highest ranked team that hasn't played LSU should play in the title game? In other words, if the rankings looked like this (hypo)...

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Tennessee
4. Arkansas
5. OSU

...and all of those SEC teams lost to LSU during the regular season, it would make sense to leapfrog OSU over those other teams because they hadn't played LSU yet?

The bottom line, though, is that OSU controlled its own destiny and blew it.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
As Clint Eastwood said, "Deservin' ain't got nothin' to do with it."

OSU could have played for the title had they beat a sorry 6-6 team. They lost to that 6-6 team and therefore did not play for the national title. That seems plenty fair to me.
THANK YOU! People just don't get it, they just HATE the fact that 2 SEC teams in the big dance! Now everybody yapping playoffs, they should have listened to Mr. Slive back in '08, when he proposed a plus- one, but no conference responded except the ACC! So don't cry playoff now! The thing with other conference fans is that MOST of them tend to get caught up in - who wins the Heisman, who got the prettiest uniforms, what QB has the prettiest throw! I mean they are cool accomplishments, but we SEC fans just want #2 in the BCS, cause on game day, it's time to play some smash mouth football!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football