Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 01:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,944,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How did OSU "destroy" Alabama? They won by a touchdown. And they trailed Alabama 21-6 at one point in the game.

If I recall correctly, OSU has been blown out by SEC teams in a number of Bowl games. You can't go sticking your chest out after winning one game.

I think the balance of power remains with the SEC because of their recruiting advantages. That doesn't mean SEC schools will win ALL of the championships. I do think, however, that they'll win most of the championships in the new playoff system once the major programs reload.

How local recruiting dictates scheme: Mapping college football's elite talent - SBNation.com

I didn't think Alabama's defense was really good compared to years past. And they seem to be a team that's built around a strong defense plus running attack. SEC teams never seem to have explosive offensives even though they have the athletes for it. And their QBs are often marginally talented at best. That's the biggest vulnerability most SEC teams have, in my view.
Just out of curiosity, what got you interested in college football? I doubt anybody in Brooklyn really cares about it all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,311,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
2-5 in Bowl games by the self proclaimed best division in football.

Nobody outside of the SEC ever believed that hype.
Except that everybody outside the SEC waited about ten years before finally being able to say "I told you so" after a BCS title game, and it took nearly the full 60 minutes for FSU to make that one happen. This is really the first year since 2005 that the SEC hasn't been in title contention. Yet only once in the nearly decade-long run did the SEC play itself, and the loser of that contest pretty much wiped the floor with PAC-12 champion Oregon that year. All of those number two teams had a shot at the SEC. All were supposedly worthy enough to be on the same stage, and yet only one of those teams - Oregon in 2011 - kept their contest remotely suspenseful. So yeah, the SEC haters should have their moment to take a few swipes at the SEC - I mean after all, they've waited long enough. lol!

Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,944,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
All were supposedly worthy enough to be on the same stage, and yet only one of those teams - Oregon in 2011 - kept their contest remotely suspenseful.
UT without Colt McCoy (and with what turned out to be one of the three worst UT quarterbacks in the past 20 years) kept it t a 3 point game in the 4th quarter with Bama. And judging by how the game was going in the beginning, had Colt not gotten hurt UT very well may have been the first team to expose Bama's weakness against quick offense where the quarterback makes his read and releases the ball quickly.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,356,297 times
Isn't is sort of a self defeating argument to challenge those claiming the end of SEC dominance by pointing to SEC teams winning X of the last Y national championships? Teams that should have had a shot at the big game were denied because of SEC bias under the BCS system. The first year of the new College Football Playoff system, and there are no SEC teams in the Championship. If the BCS were still in existence we would all be watching Alabama play FSU tonight. Instead we will be watching Ohio State and Oregon.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 PM

31,936 posts, read 34,448,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what got you interested in college football? I doubt anybody in Brooklyn really cares about it all that much.
I wouldn't say I'm that interested. I didn't go to a big sports school nor did I grow up in an area that's big on college football. I more or less follow all sports (boxing, tennis, basketball, soccer) and will have a general knowledge of the players, playing styles, etc. Overall, however, I have far more interest in the NFL, which is far superior to college football in every single dimension, imo.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM

31,936 posts, read 34,448,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Isn't is sort of a self defeating argument to challenge those claiming the end of SEC dominance by pointing to SEC teams winning X of the last Y national championships? Teams that should have had a shot at the big game were denied because of SEC bias under the BCS system. The first year of the new College Football Playoff system, and there are no SEC teams in the Championship. If the BCS were still in existence we would all be watching Alabama play FSU tonight. Instead we will be watching Ohio State and Oregon.
The SEC also went four years without winning a BCS Championship.

I expect the SEC to win its fair share (likely a disproportionate share) of titles under the new system too. There's too much talent in the South.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
I think now we know what beat Bama ;a better team:OU. Both are young teams but OU really has the best running backs; lines and now quarterback after only three starts.It was not a fluke.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,711,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wouldn't say I'm that interested. I didn't go to a big sports school nor did I grow up in an area that's big on college football. I more or less follow all sports (boxing, tennis, basketball, soccer) and will have a general knowledge of the players, playing styles, etc. Overall, however, I have far more interest in the NFL, which is far superior to college football in every single dimension, imo.
I would agree in the past, but today in the NFL you can't even sack the QB. That to me is not even football.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,311,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Was there an SEC "bias" when undefeated Auburn had to sit and watch the Oklahoma Sooners get stomped by USC? Unlike TCU in 2014/15 or Ok State in 2011/12, Auburn went undefeated, so if anyone got screwed by a BCS it was an SEC champion, not the team that allowed 60 points in regulation or a team that allowed mediocre Iowa State to score 4 unanswered touchdowns on them knowing full well what the implications of that game were. Nobody from the SEC that I know of has been trying to block the 4-team college football playoff -- which incidentally was the brainchild of the Southeastern Conference president after watching Auburn get stiffed.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
Bama would have beat the Ducks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football