Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times

Advertisements

I'm calling expansion announcements next week.

New predictions:
Clemson - possible BIG 12
FSU - possible BIG 12
UNC & Duke - still think SEC will try to pry them away from BIG 10, but might end up in the BIG 10.
UVA - Still think BIG 10.
BC - BIG 10 possibility...unlikely
Georgia Tech - high possibility of BIG 10. In fact, UGA/GT = BIG 10. UNC/Duke = SEC. Calling it.
NCSU & VT - might end up in SEC if Duke/UNC go to big 10.

My hopes?
UNC/Duke to SEC
UVA & Tech to BIG 10

Also RIP Big Least

I think these predications look alright. SEC won't expand in any state it already occupies. That's a given, so no GT, no Clemson and certainly no FSU. SEC wold also want to solidify it's holdings in the South. The SEC market is incredible and there is a huge following, but compared to the BIG 10 - population wise..they don't hold as well. The more states the better for them.

BIG 10 probably won't look for schools that aren't AAU. We all know this. UVA, GT make likely choices. Geographically, GT might be a stretch..but it eats right into precious SEC territory. The endowment and dollar values of both these schools would make them prime candidates. UVA's $4,760.5 bln would make it the third richest school in the BIG 10. Tech would be the 8th richest placing it right in the middle..but the GA market would be huge. Plus, the college football hall of fame is coming to Atlanta.

SEC will try to solidify it's position in the South by adding North Carolina. Basketball would be a major plus. Plus, the Duke-UNC would bring amazing academics and research to the SEC. I think they would jump for the money. (mizzou and TAMU were also AAU..we're hoping Georgia gets AAU status in the next few years. Florida & Vandy are AAU as well) Mizzou and TAMU also opened up two new states and markets.

BIG 12's nabs are iffy. All the rumors I look up are centered around Clemson and FSU. I can't see anything else. They really don't have anywhere to turn to. The Noles have a big enough fan base to really plump up the BIG 12. Clemson, same deal. Actually, I think VT and NCSU is also on the map for BIG 12. VT and NCSU have a larger endowment and a larger enrollment. I would prefer BIG 12 get Clemson and FSU. Actually, I would prefer BIG 12 add Houston and SMU..but that probably won't happen. I wouldn't mind BYU either. They have to do something though

Atlantic Coast Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm calling expansion announcements next week.

New predictions:
Clemson - possible BIG 12
FSU - possible BIG 12
UNC & Duke - still think SEC will try to pry them away from BIG 10, but might end up in the BIG 10.
UVA - Still think BIG 10.
BC - BIG 10 possibility...unlikely
Georgia Tech - high possibility of BIG 10. In fact, UGA/GT = BIG 10. UNC/Duke = SEC. Calling it.
NCSU & VT - might end up in SEC if Duke/UNC go to big 10.

My hopes?
UNC/Duke to SEC
UVA & Tech to BIG 10

Also RIP Big Least

I think these predications look alright. SEC won't expand in any state it already occupies. That's a given, so no GT, no Clemson and certainly no FSU. SEC wold also want to solidify it's holdings in the South. The SEC market is incredible and there is a huge following, but compared to the BIG 10 - population wise..they don't hold as well. The more states the better for them.

BIG 10 probably won't look for schools that aren't AAU. We all know this. UVA, GT make likely choices. Geographically, GT might be a stretch..but it eats right into precious SEC territory. The endowment and dollar values of both these schools would make them prime candidates. UVA's $4,760.5 bln would make it the third richest school in the BIG 10. Tech would be the 8th richest placing it right in the middle..but the GA market would be huge. Plus, the college football hall of fame is coming to Atlanta.

SEC will try to solidify it's position in the South by adding North Carolina. Basketball would be a major plus. Plus, the Duke-UNC would bring amazing academics and research to the SEC. I think they would jump for the money. (mizzou and TAMU were also AAU..we're hoping Georgia gets AAU status in the next few years. Florida & Vandy are AAU as well) Mizzou and TAMU also opened up two new states and markets.

BIG 12's nabs are iffy. All the rumors I look up are centered around Clemson and FSU. I can't see anything else. They really don't have anywhere to turn to. The Noles have a big enough fan base to really plump up the BIG 12. Clemson, same deal. Actually, I think VT and NCSU is also on the map for BIG 12. VT and NCSU have a larger endowment and a larger enrollment. I would prefer BIG 12 get Clemson and FSU. Actually, I would prefer BIG 12 add Houston and SMU..but that probably won't happen. I wouldn't mind BYU either. They have to do something though

Atlantic Coast Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big 12 didnt want FSU and Clemson 7 months ago, so I am not sure why they would want them now.

I think the conference is undecided if it wants to pursue expansion or not.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
Lots of rumblings that Miami wants out of the ACC soon and have been told "no" by both B1G and SEC but are being "considered" by Big 12.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Lots of rumblings that Miami wants out of the ACC soon and have been told "no" by both B1G and SEC but are being "considered" by Big 12.
I dont blame them for wanting to leave, but Miami is a mess right now. I dont think many people want them.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont blame them for wanting to leave, but Miami is a mess right now. I dont think many people want them.
Hard to tell if FSU>Miami for big 12. I don't think Miami is going anywhere.

Big 12 has two options: expand or end up like the big east. If big 10 raids ACC, SEC will raid ACC. ACC will raid big east(or what's left of it). Unless OK/UT giddy up to the pac-12, I don't see how big 12 won't expand. They'll need it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Hard to tell if FSU>Miami for big 12. I don't think Miami is going anywhere.

Big 12 has two options: expand or end up like the big east. If big 10 raids ACC, SEC will raid ACC. ACC will raid big east(or what's left of it). Unless OK/UT giddy up to the pac-12, I don't see how big 12 won't expand. They'll need it.
I dont see UT leaving at all, and OK seems like a stretch.

Assuming they do need to expand FSU would probably be a better choice. Miami has more potential, but like I said their program is a mess. It went from being the best in the country, to one that is disqualified. The real advantage of Miami is they could have the Big 12 basketball tournament there.

Big 12 rejected FSU and Clemson a few months back. I guess if you were right they should grab VT, Clemson, FSU, and Miami. None of these great, but if it is expand or die they could grab these teams I guess.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:

Assuming they do need to expand FSU would probably be a better choice. Miami has more potential, but like I said their program is a mess. It went from being the best in the country, to one that is disqualified. The real advantage of Miami is they could have the Big 12 basketball tournament there.

Big 12 rejected FSU and Clemson a few months back. I guess if you were right they should grab VT, Clemson, FSU, and Miami. None of these great, but if it is expand or die they could grab these teams I guess.
Miami has no fanbase and terrible facilities. Their future is bleak and their past history was built on a culture that will never be allowed to happen again.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Miami has no fanbase and terrible facilities. Their future is bleak and their past history was built on a culture that will never be allowed to happen again.
They have a bad fanbase for sure. Their attendance is really low. If they were good I am sure it would go up, but those arent good fans when they only support a team when it does good.

Miami is probably beyond redemption.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:

Didn't think the Big XII rejected those schools, but it would make sense to get it back to 12. They need that championship game back.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Didn't think the Big XII rejected those schools, but it would make sense to get it back to 12. They need that championship game back.
They did reject them.

FSU practically begged to get in.

Big 12 told them they were not expanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football