Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
South Carolina and Florida will make sure that doesn't happen...
If the SEC "really" wanted those schools... Florida nor South Carolina would block it.

But the SEC doesn't want either right now... They only want to expand if the schools bring in new TV markets. Clemson & FSU don't do that.

Not saying it will happen, but I would bet Oklahoma to the SEC before either of those schools.

The final and most important factor is the ACC & SEC will not raid each other. The conferences have good relationships and benefit from each other. if the SEC took 2 of the ACC's biggest football prizes it would created some serious bitterness. so much that it probably wouldn't be repairable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,789,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If the SEC "really" wanted those schools... Florida nor South Carolina would block it.

But the SEC doesn't want either right now... They only want to expand if the schools bring in new TV markets. Clemson & FSU don't do that.

Not saying it will happen, but I would bet Oklahoma to the SEC before either of those schools.

The final and most important factor is the ACC & SEC will not raid each other. The conferences have good relationships and benefit from each other. if the SEC took 2 of the ACC's biggest football prizes it would created some serious bitterness. so much that it probably wouldn't be repairable.
The SEC wasn't even on OU or Texas radar... OU was looking west at the PAC 10.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they were... I was using them as an example to make my point that the SEC doesn't want Clemson or FSU.

We all know Oklahoma doesn't want the competition the SEC brings... That's why they were looking at west.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,436,787 times
Quote:
>>>>>
<<<<<

No. The Sooners already turned down Slive and the SEC in Summer of 2010. That must have been a bitter pill for Slive cause I don't think he gets rejected all that often.

I don't think it really has anything to do with competition it was more the academic credibility, which IMO is ridiculous. As a Sooner fan I would love to be in the SEC West and pound on Arkie/OleMiss/A&M/Auburn and revive a great traditional rivalry of elite powers with Bama. Ain't happening though.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,837,823 times
I wouldn't call it a great traditional rivalry if the teams have only played four times. If you check out the records you find that OU actually doesn't have much of a history with the SEC teams. They have more of a rivalry with Oregeon or USC than they do most of the SEC, which is part of why I was interested in the idea of them heading west.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I wouldn't call it a great traditional rivalry if the teams have only played four times. If you check out the records you find that OU actually doesn't have much of a history with the SEC teams. They have more of a rivalry with Oregeon or USC than they do most of the SEC, which is part of why I was interested in the idea of them heading west.
Did I say it was a great rivalry.....as in they've played a bunch of times? No. Perhaps instead of "revive" I could have merely said "continue".

It would be wonderful to have two elite programs (top 3) playing each other on a regular basis. The Sooners swept Bama in the last home&home series. I know the Tide would love to get some much needed revenge, but both programs have great respect for one another. That's all I was saying.

The Sooners do have quite a bit of experience playing bowl games against SEC teams. My favorite was the 35-0 drubbing of LSU back in the day. (That's back when kickers knew their place and didn't talk smack.) The whole fear the SEC thing is a VERY (10 years maybe?) recent phenomenon. Given the history of college football, the Sooners are traditionally the team feared by other teams/conferences....not the other way around.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 02-11-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

No. The Sooners already turned down Slive and the SEC in Summer of 2010. That must have been a bitter pill for Slive cause I don't think he gets rejected all that often.
As I said to the other poster... Im not saying Oklahoma is coming to the SEC. I was just using them as an example to show how ridiculous the Clemson & FSU to the SEC rumors are... But it's understood that neither is happening.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 02-11-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
As I said to the other poster... I didn't say Oklahoma coming to the SEC. I was just using them as an example to show how ridiculous the Clemson & FSU to the SEC rumors are...
Okay and I understood your post in the sense you've laid it out here. I see your point.

The key difference, of course, is that OU actually did get invited to the SEC. So, it is not preposterous to think that the Sooners could end up there.....it's just now the way things have shaken out I just couldn't ever see the Sooners going to the SEC unless they were snubbed by the PAC again and desperate to get away from Texas. The problem with this is that OU makes too much money off of Texas to ever get away from 'em.

And I do believe that Florida State/Clemson rumor to the Big 12 is a far shot, if not outright ridiculous. However, college football has become quite ridiculous so the absurdities of the past are becoming the norms of today.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Okay and I understood your post in the sense you've laid it out here. I see your point.

The key difference, of course, is that OU actually did get invited to the SEC. So, it is not preposterous to think that the Sooners could end up there.....it's just now the way things have shaken out I just couldn't ever see the Sooners going to the SEC unless they were snubbed by the PAC again and desperate to get away from Texas. The problem with this is that OU makes too much money off of Texas to ever get away from 'em.

And I do believe that Florida State/Clemson rumor to the Big 12 is a far shot, if not outright ridiculous. However, college football has become quite ridiculous so the absurdities of the past are becoming the norms of today.
I'm with you on OU.

I realize OU is the reason they are not in the SEC. I wasnt trying to say it was conf decision instead of the schools. My point is they are not coming.. But still more likely than Clemson & FSU to the SEC. But that's more likely than Clemson & FSU to the Big12.

Lol... Confused enough yet?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
i think FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 is plausible. the ACC is probably looking less appealing to Florida State and Clemson, who are football schools that don't give a rip about recruiting in New York , New England, or Pennsylvania, and probably aren't too thrilled about the ACC's northward expansion. From a football perspective, both those teams would benefit tremendously from exposure in Texas.

The SEC might be a great fit for Clemson/FSU, but Clemson/FSU aren't a very good fit for the SEC.

The ideal SEC addition would bring in big money, big new markets, and exposure to a new recruiting area, but not necessarily a great football team. Sort of like A&M and Missouri. I would think that Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, or NC State would be more appealing to the SEC , than Clemson or FSU. I believe the SEC would jump at the chance to add North Carolina and Virginia to the footprint; I don't see UNC going anywhere, but I do think that the SEC could possibly convince NC State to pull a "texas a&m", and abandon its big brother UNC.

Quote:
The final and most important factor is the ACC & SEC will not raid each other.
i suspect that this is the case, but it is really up to the individuals running the SEC. We can't say for sure what they will do.

Last edited by le roi; 02-13-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football