Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

203 posts, read 325,028 times

Advertisements

After another week of games I think I would put my rankings like this. Trying to only look at how the teams have actually played, and who their competition has been:

#1 FSU........(wins vs. Clem, Miami) (yet to play Miami?)
#2 Bama......(win vs. A&M) (yet to play LSU, Aub, Mizz?)
#3 OSU.......(win vs. Wisc) (yet to play Mich?, Mich St?)
#4 OR.........(win vs. UCLA) (yet to play Stan, ASU?)
#5 Baylor.....(wins vs. nobody) (yet to play OK, OK St, TT?, TX?)

I only listed teams that are currently ranked, or may be ranked (?) at the end of the season, with guesses about who each team may face in a conference championship game.

Im thinking Baylor should lose 1-2 games, and then Bama actually has the next best chance of losing a game. While OSU and FSU have the best chances of being 13-0. There could be some surprises. But Wisc and Mich could end the season ranked in the 17-25 area with MSU in the 13-20 area giving OSU potential for another quality win. Potentially enough to overtake a 13-0 OR teams if UCLA and ASU slide further in the rankings. The down fall is that a 12-1 Bama likely gets in ahead of either of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,305,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Notre Dame had zero business being in that game. Two dozen teams would have played Alabama a better game. A handful had a pretty good chance of beating them.

Ohio State's big issue right now isn't with Ohio State. It's with the conference. The Big10 or whatever it is is waaaay down and needs a fix fast.
I wouldn't say that Notre Dame had 'zero' business being in that game. Clearly, they were over-matched; however, they were also an undefeated team, and no other credible football program could say as much at that time. Even as everyone could see the potential mismatches, it's a stretch to say that they had no business being in the game. If there had been other undefeated teams, then I would have agreed that ND would have been the worst of those undefeated teams.

Having multiple undefeated and quality teams is what the BCS nightmare makes possible - something the plus-one formula goes a long way toward eliminating, though it doesn't completely remove controversy from the discussions. Right now, we have five undefeated teams that are indisputably good, and a one-loss team that's also arguably among the best. The debate isn't even really which two teams are best - because there's no way to know that until these teams square off somehow, which unfortunately cannot happen this time around. Rather, the argument is really, which two teams of the remaining big five or six have played most impressively.

As much as I hate to say it, this is ultimately a beauty contest, a resume comparison. You have to look at the teams that have been played week to week, the amount of tough competition faced, and other factors. I think Alabama naturally locks up one of those spots until they lose for the simple reason that a defending champion should, in principle, never be dethroned until they've been defeated on the field. So if they win out, they're in. The big debate then comes down to which team should face Bama. In my mind, it's Oregon, but I think others can make a good argument for FSU, Ohio State, and Baylor, too. OSU's winning 20 plus games in a row is a major feat - no doubt about it. I think that a convincing win over Mich. St. in a Big10 title game would be even bigger. Maybe people start talking about the streak toward the end of this month, and maybe the Buckeyes crush Mich. State. If the others stumble, they could make up ground.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM

8,213 posts, read 8,530,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
After another week of games I think I would put my rankings like this. Trying to only look at how the teams have actually played, and who their competition has been:

#1 FSU........(wins vs. Clem, Miami) (yet to play Miami?)
#2 Bama......(win vs. A&M) (yet to play LSU, Aub, Mizz?)
#3 OSU.......(win vs. Wisc) (yet to play Mich?, Mich St?)
#4 OR.........(win vs. UCLA) (yet to play Stan, ASU?)
#5 Baylor.....(wins vs. nobody) (yet to play OK, OK St, TT?, TX?)

I only listed teams that are currently ranked, or may be ranked (?) at the end of the season, with guesses about who each team may face in a conference championship game.

Im thinking Baylor should lose 1-2 games, and then Bama actually has the next best chance of losing a game. While OSU and FSU have the best chances of being 13-0. There could be some surprises. But Wisc and Mich could end the season ranked in the 17-25 area with MSU in the 13-20 area giving OSU potential for another quality win. Potentially enough to overtake a 13-0 OR teams if UCLA and ASU slide further in the rankings. The down fall is that a 12-1 Bama likely gets in ahead of either of them.
If Baylor wins out, and that's a big if, I think they will jump over OSU in the last week. All 5 can be unbeaten and I would put OSU 5th. Most likely Florida St. and Alabama in BCS NC game and Oregon/ OSU in Rose. Then just maybe OSU blows out Oregon and Alabama/Fla. St is close and OSU is AP champs. Just dreaming.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,625,985 times
I think the chances of Alabama losing are very real. Now that Oregon is off the table, OSU is on the bubble just waiting for either Alabama or FSU to lose. If that happens, no way they can keep OSU out of the title game assuming they run the table.

They may get their hats handed to them like they did in 2006 and 2007 but lets not forget 2002 when they were big underdogs as well.. anything can happen.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Unless one of them losses its going to be Florida State against Alabama since Oregon loss.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,975,558 times
^ Without a doubt the Buckeyes need a Florida St. loss to get a shot at the title game.The remaining games with the mediocre Michigan team and Big 10 championship game (Mich.St.-Neb.) might still leave them outside looking in.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:53 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,975,558 times
Went to the Indiana game on Senior Day saw history made with the 23 wins. The Bucks clinching a spot to Indianapolis in classic Big Ten weather.
Don't forget the great halftime show TBDBITL put on doesn't get any better than that.Someone said that Carlos Hyde is the first 1,000 yard running back Urban Meyers has coached in college and he missed three games this year.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Ohio state may not need a Florida State loss to move into 2nd place!
One of the computer rankings allows hypothetical game results to be entered to see what would change.

Some results have diminished Florida State's wins, Maryland has obviously gone downhill since lossing to FSU, Miami lost 3 straight, and Clemson has a good chance of losing to S. Carolina this week. On top of that, FSU will play either an unranked team or Duke as an opponent in the ACC championship.

So if OSU does actually win against Michigan and Michigan State, they will be ahead of an undefeated FSU in the this computer ranking, and possibly move ahead of them in a few others (though it will be hard in the human polls unless FSU struggles in one of their games.

Colley Rankings

Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,305,381 times
I seriously doubt OSU jumps FSU. Beating Michigan St would be impressive, but it's not going to outdo FSU's throttling of just about every team they've played, including a Clemson team that's in the top 8. I think it's unfair to OSU that they have to put together one of the longest win streaks in CFB history and still get no love, and fortunately the BCS is over and done with next year. But when you look at the beauty contest that is the BCS, I gotta go with FSU and Bama. OSU's had a great run - just not great enough.

Personally, I wish they had an 8-team playoff. That would be epic. That would be a huge draw. If they could find a way to get all the bowl games involved, it would be a massive money maker. Would dwarf the NCAA's Men's tourney, which has grown stale, IMO.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I seriously doubt OSU jumps FSU. Beating Michigan St would be impressive, but it's not going to outdo FSU's throttling of just about every team they've played, including a Clemson team that's in the top 8. I think it's unfair to OSU that they have to put together one of the longest win streaks in CFB history and still get no love, and fortunately the BCS is over and done with next year. But when you look at the beauty contest that is the BCS, I gotta go with FSU and Bama. OSU's had a great run - just not great enough.

Personally, I wish they had an 8-team playoff. That would be epic. That would be a huge draw. If they could find a way to get all the bowl games involved, it would be a massive money maker. Would dwarf the NCAA's Men's tourney, which has grown stale, IMO.
The link I posted didn't save the hypothetical results I was referring to.
Those being: OSU, FSU, and Bama win out, Clemson loses to S. Carolina and Duke loses to UNC this week. That means the quality wins break down like this:

Alabama (13-0)
-- wins v.Mizz (10-2)*, @Auburn (10-2), v.LSU (9-3), @A&M (8-4), v.OleMiss (8-4), v.VaTech (8-5)*

Florida State (13-0)
-- wins @Clemson (10-2), v.Miami (9-3), BC (8-4), v.VaTech (8-5)*

Ohio State (13-0)
-- wins v.MSU (11-2)*, v.Wisconsin (10-2), v.Buffalo (9-3), @Iowa (8-4), v.San Diego St (8-4)

* = Division champs

In that case at least that one computer rankings will (in fact, not a matter of opinion) pass FSU in the rankings. And In my opinion the human polls (AP and Coaches) should do the same, but probably wont.

Obviously people wont give much weight to the SDSU and Buff wins, or even Iowa really. But Miami no longer looks like such a meaningful win and if Clemson loses to S.Carolina this week then that loses some luster as well.
Whatever happens, it would be nice to see MSU v. Clemson and/or Wisconsin v. Miami in bowls games to see how those quality wins actually stand up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football