Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

Too bad that a kid with enough talent to win the Heisman trophy as a freshman lacks the maturity to handle it. Such is the case with Johnny F'in Manziel
He seems to think that he is bigger than the game.
His childish attitude and trash talking take him from the level of a respectable leader to that of a schoolyard punk who has found a way to hide behind the bullies of his college and do what he wants. It is sad that Texas A&M has such a "Win at all costs" mindset and that the administration wants to cash in on Manziel's glory ...and remind the coach "Don't you lay a hand on our boy there...he is worth too much to our system"
Manziel has a childish, punk mentality. he has the attitude of "I am above the rules...." or "What rules?" And the act of ignoring his coach on the sidelines shows this.

He is quickly losing fans across the nation. Everywhere except in College Station, where no one cares. So long as the team wins.

He is bringing dishonor to the office of the Heisman trophy. he is being a poor role model of kids by saying "Hey I am a great athlete so the rules do not apply to me"
And he is showing yet another flaw in the NCAA system, one that says "We have no control anymore of what the players do" Very disappointing for college football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM

462 posts, read 427,402 times
Meh.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
He's been Johnny d bag for awhile now. None of this is new.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM

550 posts, read 965,729 times
Not that it's an excuse, but I can understand his attitude, considering the fact that he is just a sophomore, who had won the Heisman at a very young age; if anyone has hubris, it would be him.

I just wonder if his attitude is indicative of what's to come, or whether he becomes mature enough (soon) to take such instances as learning experiences.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
He was a jerk before winning the Heisman and fame. Look him up, and read about his earlier antics...not cool at all.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Too bad that a kid with enough talent to win the Heisman trophy as a freshman lacks the maturity to handle it. Such is the case with Johnny F'in Manziel
He seems to think that he is bigger than the game.
His childish attitude and trash talking take him from the level of a respectable leader to that of a schoolyard punk who has found a way to hide behind the bullies of his college and do what he wants. It is sad that Texas A&M has such a "Win at all costs" mindset and that the administration wants to cash in on Manziel's glory ...and remind the coach "Don't you lay a hand on our boy there...he is worth too much to our system"
Manziel has a childish, punk mentality. he has the attitude of "I am above the rules...." or "What rules?" And the act of ignoring his coach on the sidelines shows this.

He is quickly losing fans across the nation. Everywhere except in College Station, where no one cares. So long as the team wins.

He is bringing dishonor to the office of the Heisman trophy. he is being a poor role model of kids by saying "Hey I am a great athlete so the rules do not apply to me"
And he is showing yet another flaw in the NCAA system, one that says "We have no control anymore of what the players do" Very disappointing for college football.
How very self righteous of you. Most of all you have no clue about A&M's culture and mindset. I was at the game yesterday. Yes I was disappointed as were 80,000 people with Manziel's penalty for taunting. Coach Sumlin sat him down after that and put back in the backup QB. In his short time as head coach, Sumlin has shown he is not shy with player discipline - hence the number of players suspended recently for off field activity. Six starters didn't play yesterday because of disciplinary action. I'm glad Sumlin doesn't follow the Les Miles model of letting his players vote what discipline should be.

Manziel plays with a huge chip on his shoulder and I get irritated with it like you and many others. I hope he controls himself, when he needs to, like he always has so far. He doesn't take crap from anyone and he has been that way forever. Not necessarily a positive quality, but his teammates like to see that in their QB.

He truly doesn't care however what an internet poster in Florida thinks. Neither do I.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I think head coach Kevin Sumlin summed it up very well. From ESPN.....

...he (Manziel) also was in the face of Rice players for most of his time in the game, and he eventually drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after a touchdown throw in the fourth quarter. Manziel was talking to two Rice defenders and then pointed to the scoreboard when officials threw the flag.
That play proved to be his last of the game. Matt Joeckel replaced Manziel on A&M's final drive.
"That wasn't very smart and that's why he didn't go back in the game," A&M coach Kevin Sumlin told ESPN after the game. "I hoped that at this point he'd have learned something."....

link: Johnny Manziel penalized after gesturing to opponents - ESPN

Sumlin is definitely a no-nonsense coach. He'd better put a collar on Manziel fast before he gets out of control....lol.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Kept hearing the term "chirping" WT heck, is this New? This week I have learned "Chirping" and "Twerking", (thank you Miley for the new vacab) question is, can a person twerk, and Chirp at the same time?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How very self righteous of you. Most of all you have no clue about A&M's culture and mindset. I was at the game yesterday. Yes I was disappointed as were 80,000 people with Manziel's penalty for taunting. Coach Sumlin sat him down after that and put back in the backup QB. In his short time as head coach, Sumlin has shown he is not shy with player discipline - hence the number of players suspended recently for off field activity. Six starters didn't play yesterday because of disciplinary action. I'm glad Sumlin doesn't follow the Les Miles model of letting his players vote what discipline should be.

Manziel plays with a huge chip on his shoulder and I get irritated with it like you and many others. I hope he controls himself, when he needs to, like he always has so far. He doesn't take crap from anyone and he has been that way forever. Not necessarily a positive quality, but his teammates like to see that in their QB.

He truly doesn't care however what an internet poster in Florida thinks. Neither do I.
Well, Excuuuuuuuuse ME!

Steve Martin "Excuse Me" - YouTube

Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How very self righteous of you. Most of all you have no clue about A&M's culture and mindset. I was at the game yesterday.

Actually I do. My ex wife and her dad both went there. I know A&M Culture: It is utterly disgusting, angry, vulgar, violent and self-righteous to boot. Nothing to be proud of UNLESS You do not know any better.
Which helps explain the Manziel fiasco.

I am so sorry you had to spend a day of your life at Kyle field. I cannot think of a worse way to spend a Saturday afternoon, outsidde of downtown Huntsville perhaps.

I know a lot about a lot, including about A&M culture, and I have never been impressed by any of it. Sorry. Manziel is a problematic result of a problematic system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football