Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I don't know if anyone else has seen this before, but there's a nifty table added to the Wikipidea pages of all three conferences. I checked the sources, and they're good.

SEC:
Southeastern Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big 12:
Big 12 Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pac-12:
Pacific-12 Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ACC and Big 10 don't have a table in a similar format, but there's some pretty interesting info in these tables including if the university considers SAT Subject tests(most higher end schools do) and if the school is considered a "public ivy" or not.

Enjoy!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Guys,

I don't know if anyone else has seen this before, but there's a nifty table added to the Wikipidea pages of all three conferences. I checked the sources, and they're good.

SEC:
Southeastern Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big 12:
Big 12 Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pac-12:
Pacific-12 Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ACC and Big 10 don't have a table in a similar format, but there's some pretty interesting info in these tables including if the university considers SAT Subject tests(most higher end schools do) and if the school is considered a "public ivy" or not.

Enjoy!
I dont get why people care about academics in athletic conferences. I guarantee you that these football players are not the academic drivers of the school. If extra points were settled by math questions or writing essays maybe it would be relevant.

I also hate the term public Ivy. It is a made up arbitrary list that is subject to change. There is ONE Ivy League. Just because a school isnt in the Ivy League doesnt mean it is not academically good. In fact many non-Ivy schools could compete academically with Ivy League schools. It just seems like an inferiority complex where schools have to associate themselves with the Ivy League. What is next Toilet School Ivies, Community College Ivies, party school ivies?

Finally there is no real academic criteria to joining the big football conferences. For all its talk of academics the ACC let Lville in, and before that FSU. On internet forums people care but IRL it doesnt matter what the SAT score is. Believe me during games the fans are not engaging in academic activities.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont get why people care about academics in athletic conferences. I guarantee you that these football players are not the academic drivers of the school. If extra points were settled by math questions or writing essays maybe it would be relevant.
of course you don't, your a wvu fan and west virginia is the worst academic college of all the big conferences put together. if they were my team, i wouldn't care either.

the reason people care is because they are colleges...

its like asking why people brag about attendance and that sort of thing, the playes aren't in the stands and extra points aren't assigned for tickets sold or turnstile counts, maybe then it would be relevant

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
of course you don't, your a wvu fan and west virginia is the worst academic college of all the big conferences put together. if they were my team, i wouldn't care either.

the reason people care is because they are colleges...

its like asking why people brag about attendance and that sort of thing, the playes aren't in the stands and extra points aren't assigned for tickets sold or turnstile counts, maybe then it would be relevant
*yawn*

You are not making an argument just attacking me. You have yet to explain the relevance or people caring. Academics matter in education not a football conference.

So i redirect you to my earlier post. If you have an answer id love to hear me. It is like jets fans bragging that NYC is bigger than another city or richer than another city. In other sports people care about the sport. Perhapa it is a way for people to make themselves feel smart while they tailgate, pain themselves, And chant for 3 hours?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
*yawn*

You are not making an argument just attacking me. You have yet to explain the relevance or people caring. Academics matter in education not a football conference.

So i redirect you to my earlier post. If you have an answer id love to hear me. It is like jets fans bragging that NYC is bigger than another city or richer than another city. In other sports people care about the sport. Perhapa it is a way for people to make themselves feel smart while they tailgate, pain themselves, And chant for 3 hours?
Maryland just scored again...GO WVU!

What an embarrassing loss to a middle-of-the-road ACC team.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-24-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I tanything tyland just scored again...
Maryland scored big getting the big 10. They are going places.

However, you seem not to have anything about the topic at hand.

Yes, wvu is terrible this year, you're not bothering me I've accepted that a long time ago. It doesn't change my earlier point though, or past points ive made.

Also as a tarheel fan you can't really talk smack on any teams with your 1-2 record. We are in the same league my friend but if you have something to add about academics please do so.

Generally i find schools with bad football programs talk about thwir academics. Schools with good programs talk about their program regardless of their academics.

If UMD is middle of the road at 4-0 than your tarheels are bottom of the road.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 09-24-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
if you can't see how acadmeics matters to kids who play for those SCHOOLS, who finish their college career with no pro football dreams but a dimploma from those SCHOOLS (some, not all of course) then i don't know what to tell ya man.

the vast majority of these kids need their diploma and schooling when they are done playing for their SCHOOL.

5 year 3 star OG who did nothing more than backup and special teams comes out and can greatly benifit from that schooling and dimploma.
a backup JET fightingi for a roster spot gets no benefit from ny city being highly populated. that comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

sometimes i think you just argue to argue, most of your posts totally ignore any real logic or common sense.

im not going to get in on the bashing of wvu for being so pitiful on the field because most of their fans don't deserve it, and they deserve better than whats in store for them over the next few years.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
if you can't see how acadmeics matters to kids who play for those SCHOOLS, who finish their college career with no pro football dreams but a dimploma from those SCHOOLS (some, not all of course) then i don't know what to tell ya man.

the vast majority of these kids need their diploma and schooling when they are done playing for their SCHOOL.

5 year 3 star OG who did nothing more than backup and special teams comes out and can greatly benifit from that schooling and dimploma.
a backup JET fightingi for a roster spot gets no benefit from ny city being highly populated. that comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

sometimes i think you just argue to argue, most of your posts totally ignore any real logic or common sense.

im not going to get in on the bashing of wvu for being so pitiful on the field because most of their fans don't deserve it, and they deserve better than whats in store for them over the next few years.

Again you didn't make a point that is relevant to the football program. What players do who aren't good enough to go pro is irrelevant to where academics factor into a football game.

Maybe a few decades ago it was relevant when the game was more local but I have yet to see someone explain why it matters during a football game.

What you will notice is good football programs don't care. They rare smart enough to realize that their football program and their school's academics and football are 2 desperate things not related or relevant. When they discuss football they talk about their success on the field. Schools that are good academically talk about their academic programs not their football teams.

It is schools with football programs that they aren't proud of to talk about alone that somehow try to tie the two.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Maryland scored big getting the big 10. They are going places.

However, you seem not to have anything about the topic at hand.

Yes, wvu is terrible this year, you're not bothering me I've accepted that a long time ago. It doesn't change my earlier point though, or past points ive made.

Also as a tarheel fan you can't really talk smack on any teams with your 1-2 record. We are in the same league my friend but if you have something to add about academics please do so.

Generally i find schools with bad football programs talk about thwir academics. Schools with good programs talk about their program regardless of their academics.

If UMD is middle of the road at 4-0 than your tarheels are bottom of the road.
I'm not a Tarheel fan...it's the state nickname too, hence my name. I'm sure you ARE terribly embarrassed and it DOES negate most of your past points - comment history is readily available so you can't really deny anything. You've been crowing about your Mountaineers for years now, and it's just fun to see where your awesome team is now. You've also been putting down the ACC for years now simply because we didn't want your team - and now you get your payback.

UMD certainly is middle of the road in the ACC...if going by your standards then Texas Tech is the top team in the Little 12 - and we all know that isn't true. Any team can be 4-0, but you know that doesn't mean it's the best team in it's conference.

Oh, how far the big mouths have fallen.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Don't try logic...it's just doesn't work. This guy has a major history of running his mouth about his team and his conference. It's WVU! Of course he is going to downplay academics just like his university!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.