Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM

42 posts, read 275,802 times

Advertisements

Its nice to have options, isn't it?

Baseball players can go to the minors, basketball players can go over seas for a year, and hockey players have their own minor leagues. These are all nice alternatives to going to college so why doesn't football have one?

Why FORCE every kid to go to school even though, clearly, some of them don't want to? Why not let them choose whether or not they want to go to?

I know this probably wouldn't end the "pay for play" talk but at least it might calm it down. If college football players complain about money, they'd be somewhat ignored because they could've gone to the minor league of football.

Don't know if there is a thread on this already. Searched and couldn't find one

Last edited by FLAkid; 09-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,929,609 times
The "rejects" who still want to try for that NFL dream can play in the Canadian Football League for some recognition... also the Arena Football League.

It's not easy... but a handful of players who became stars in the CFL had pretty decent NFL careers... one guy I can think of was Doug Flutie.

I'm sure there are some other leagues out there... but these are the 2 non-NFL leagues that get some national recognition.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM

I agree, they get national recognition but these leagues don't play real American football. I think it would be nice for players, straight out of high school, to be able to go pro if they chose to.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,136,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAkid View Post
Its nice to have options, isn't it?

Baseball players can go to the minors, basketball players can go over seas for a year, and hockey players have their own minor leagues. These are all nice alternatives to going to college so why doesn't football have one?

Why FORCE every kid to go to school even though, clearly, some of them don't want to? Why not let them choose whether or not they want to go to?

I know this probably wouldn't end the "pay for play" talk but at least it might calm it down. If college football players complain about money, they'd be somewhat ignored because they could've gone to the minor league of football.

Don't know if there is a thread on this already. Searched and couldn't find one
Nobody "forces" them to attend college, they could sit out three years after high school then enter the NFL draft. As far as a minor league, who's stopping you or anybody else who wants to put up their money to start one? The NFL has no need for a minor league becasue they have college football The NFL and the players union have collectively bargained that players must be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft. So if the playesr have a problem with the rule, they need to take it up with their union.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:33 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,136,330 times
Quote:
I agree, they get national recognition but these leagues don't play real American football. I think it would be nice for players, straight out of high school, to be able to go pro if they chose to.
Most high school players wouldn't be physically ready to play pro football, this isn't basketball or tennis or golf.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:51 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,866,047 times
As someone pointed out there is arena football, Canadian football, there is even European football.

However, these aren't options for most and pay poorly. Anyone remember thw XFL?

Anyway, a big problem is football is only really popular in America and the NFL reigns supreme. There is no alternative to it and they dont want one. College is pretty much their recruiting ground.

Also they don't really go to school. They get free rides. They usually go to major in easy majors, rarely show for class, rarely study, will get all kinds of help, and the university ensures they pass. This is not always the case but often is.

Most of them have the time of their life. Many also get paid.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Most high school players wouldn't be physically ready to play pro football, this isn't basketball or tennis or golf.

I don't agree with this statement at all. All over the world they allow 18 year olds to play pro rugby. Those guys run and hit just as hard as NFL players do. Not to mention they don't wear pads or helmets.

And remember, I'm not saying do away with college football, just give players a real 2nd option. Those that aren't ready to play with the big boys would still go to college.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,866,047 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this statement at all. All over the world they allow 18 year olds to play pro rugby. Those guys run and hit just as hard as NFL players do. Not to mention they don't wear pads or helmets.

And remember, I'm not saying do away with college football, just give players a real 2nd option. Those that aren't ready to play with the big boys would still go to college.
Maybe, but you are missing the point.

The NFL and the NCAA have a deal going. It is a system. It isnt about choice. Also in most countries Rugby is not some huge sport. It is basically played in NZ, Australia,SA, and England. The US football market is bigger than all of them combined. Also in many of those countries say England, it is a secondary sport after Football/Soccer.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,315,630 times
You have apparently overlooked Otis Sistrunk, who played seven seasons for the Oakland Raiders, including a Super Bowl victory.; Mr. Sistrunk used to describe himself as an alumnus of the University of Mars.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,895,856 times
In order to get into Arena Football, or the Canadian Football league, most still have to go through colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football