Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times

Advertisements

The 1995 Huskers are the most dominant team in CFB history. Nobody they played came within two touchdowns of them (they beat an awful Wazzu team by only 14, but the Coogs also scored a couple of garbage TDs to make the game look a little more respectable. That's more of a testament of how good Nebraska was - even on an off day they still beat folks by multiple scores) . It's hard to say if they were ever truly tested, but even then, a LOT of media honks picked the Gators to beat them in the championship game (one of the earliest references to SEC speed), yet the Huskers made short work of them. And Florida may well have been the second-best team in the country, the separation might have been just that great. But best ever? Now that's getting a bit more subjective.

BCS era? I'd probably go with the '01 Canes - they were certainly dominant, but they also didn't exactly play a murderer's row, either. Certainly, the Big East in 2001 was better than the Big East of recent seasons, but it still wasn't anywhere near as good as the SEC or probably even the PAC or Big 12 today - probably along the lines of the ACC or B1G. They demolished their opposition and absolutely manhandled a Nebraska team that probably had no business of being there to begin with. Oregon would have given Miami a better game, but I still think that they would have lost by 10 or 14 (assuming everyone would have been at full health).

If the 1995 Huskers played the champions of the BCS era, I don't think they would necessarily be a mortal lock to beat all of them. Sure, I'd like their chances against many of them, but you also have to consider that the type of athlete in 1995 as opposed to the type of athlete in the college ranks today are two very, very different specimens. Today's football players are bigger, faster, quicker, stronger, and just plain better than what they were a generation ago (wow, I feel *old* saying this - I grew up with the Big Red powerhouse of the 90s). Even so, they'd still probably at least hold their own against any of the BCS champions, but I could also see them struggle against teams with transcending players such as Vince Young, Cam Newton, etc. The 95 Huskers never got to play against teams with players of that kind of magnitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah you are probably right. It's a fair point that their pro career doesn't equate to the best college team. Still that collection of talent at Miami is just so hard to ignore I had to post it.
Yeah I understand. That 95 Husker team was a joy though. I wanted Florida to win that game but after they went up 10-7, Nebraska just went off. That Florida team was the best Florida team of that decade and that's saying something because there were some great Florida teams in the 90s. Even better than the team that won the national championship the next season.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Yes! next question.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
We will never know as we even now see teams lose who where thought strongest. In those days of set bowls often the national championship was a matter of what conference you were in and what set bowl conference you played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football