Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM

342 posts, read 682,841 times

Advertisements

Well im only 26 so im not going to pretend I know much about jim thorpre or oj simpson when they were in college. So vividly I can only remember from 1994 till now college football. So from 1994 till now who are the 5 college players that excited you every sat? Here's my five in no particular order

Vince Young-qb Texas....simply because he was the best college player I ever seen and was a freak at qb. He mad that roided up USC defense look slow.

Charles Woodson- db Michigan... only defensive player to win the heisman, he did everything on the field very clutch

Tyrann Mathieu- db LSU. ....the kid can play football and literally does what he wants on the football field "honeybadger" fits him well.

Derrick Johnson- lb Texas.....he was the only player ive seen knocked adrian Peterson out of the game, he was tenacious

Case Keenum- qb Houston.....the original Johnny Manziel he just didn't play in the sec, it was like every other pass was touchdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,958,432 times
Bo Jackson

Johnny Manziel

Cam Newton

Herschel Walker

Charles Woodson

Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,577,681 times
Adrian Peterson
Jason White
Sam Bradford
DeMarco Murray
Quentin Griffin

Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,433,334 times
Jameis Winston
Michael Vick
Percy Harvin
Devin Hester
Reggie Bush

Old 02-21-2014, 04:20 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
Johnny Manziel
Bo Jackson
Adrian Peterson
Earl Campbell
Von Miller

No way Case Keenum was the original Johnny Manziel. Casey was a fine pocket QB that played in a hurry up. But he was nowhere near as mobile as JM.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,179,618 times
VY
Earl
Ricky
Johnny Manziel
Tommy Nobis
RGIII
OJ
Staubach
Kingsbury - now the Tech coach. Toughest college QB I ever saw who could keep playing really well after taking such a horrible pounding all game long.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,307,911 times
I was only a casual college fan until about, say, 10 or so years ago. I knew teams more than players. Prior to about 1996, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, and Jerry Rice* were the few guys who got me to park my @ss on the couch for a few hours, 'cause they were just Dyn-o-Mite. I didn't live in San Diego or the West Coast at the time so I couldn't watch Marshall Faulk play, but I like the highlights. Honorable mention goes to "The Rocket" Raghib Ismail.

*Yes, I actually did watch Jerry Rice on Black Entertainment Television when the Mississippi Valley State played other SWAC teams nobody cared about. I watched because I grew up in Shreveport and there were a lot of Grambling fans in the area; later moved to BTR (LSU) and there were Southern fans. For some reason, me being the curious white boy that I was, I actually got intrigued by these small black schools I'd never heard of before playing each other (was also a HS football score junkie at that time too). I couldn't tell you much about anything else in the 1984-1986 seasons of SWAC football, but one name I remember seeing again and again and again was Jerry Rice catching a pass from Willie Totten. Rice would catch the ball, and nobody on the damn field could stop him. I remember when I was watching a pre-season game in 1985 - the 49ers had already won the previous Super Bowl and were defending world champions. I suddenly saw that a guy named Jerry Rice was on their team and I thought "Wait, I've seen that dude play." I was only 11 at the time, but I remember telling my mom and dad, the 49ers have this guy rice -- he's really good. Hell, I had no idea how good at the time, but the rest, as they say, is history.

In the past 10-15 years, I'd say my faves are:
- Michael Vick
- Reggie Bush
- Cam Newton
- Tyran "Honey Badger" Mathieu
- Tim Tebow
- Johnny Manziel

Never got to see Adrian Peterson play at OU except in the Fiesta Bowl. Was overseas at the time and the never showed CFB. FWIW, though, I'm becoming more and more convinced that AP might be the greatest running back to play the game since Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Among the best ever. An amazing player.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 AM

182 posts, read 194,400 times
Peter Warrick
Andre Wadsworth
Warrick Dunn

Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,787,606 times
This is a tough one...growing up before the nationwide cable exposure...

In no order...

Earl Campbell
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Anthony Carter
83-84 Cornhuskers

This was before they softened up the passing rules as well...only saw Marino in a couple games but he looked great.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM

287 posts, read 360,041 times
I was at every home game, OU game and Bowl game that Vince Young played in. IMHO, greatest player ever.

Bo Jackson
Herschel Walker
Johnny Manziel
Ricky Williams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football