Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times

Advertisements

It has dawned on me that NC and VA are the only southern states without SEC teams, even Kentucky, Missouri, and Texas have an SEC team! Is there some historical reason why this is the case, or is it that these two states have always been big ACC powerhouses? I know South Carolina was once part of the ACC, but they joined the SEC forty years or so ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It has dawned on me that NC and VA are the only southern states without SEC teams, even Kentucky, Missouri, and Texas have an SEC team! Is there some historical reason why this is the case, or is it that these two states have always been big ACC powerhouses? I know South Carolina was once part of the ACC, but they joined the SEC forty years or so ago.
They didn't want to get beat all the time.

It's the same reason that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, as charter members of the original Southwest Conference, pulled out and went to a different conference. Those Okies were at least smart enough to get into a conference where winning had a much higher probability. Given the Sooners' tradition of success, I think it's safe to say the right decision was made to jump conferences.

Before all the realignment BS, we also had the most exciting and best division in all of college football during the BCS era, the The Big 12 South. Sad to see 'er go. The teams in the Big 12 South were not only evenly matched, but culturally there was/is a lot of commonality between the fanbases.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
They didn't want to get beat all the time.

It's the same reason that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, as charter members of the original Southwest Conference, pulled out and went to a different conference. Those Okies were at least smart enough to get into a conference where winning had a much higher probability. Given the Sooners' tradition of success, I think it's safe to say the right decision was made to jump conferences.

Before all the realignment BS, we also had the most exciting and best division in all of college football during the BCS era, the The Big 12 South. Sad to see 'er go. The teams in the Big 12 South were not only evenly matched, but culturally there was/is a lot of commonality between the fanbases.
None of this has anything to do with North Carolina or Virginia.

The big NC schools were in the Southern Conference, and set out to form their own conference since the SoCon banned post season play. Thus, the ACC was born. Virginia was independent and the ACC invited them. VA Tech was never admitted to the ACC because they didn't want them. Not until VA Tech become a Big East power and the ACC poached them.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
None of this has anything to do with North Carolina or Virginia.

The big NC schools were in the Southern Conference, and set out to form their own conference since the SoCon banned post season play. Thus, the ACC was born. Virginia was independent and the ACC invited them. VA Tech was never admitted to the ACC because they didn't want them. Not until VA Tech become a Big East power and the ACC poached them.
Your explanation makes a lot more sense!

I was just having some fun slippin' some Oklahoma trivia in there.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,235,741 times
South Carolina used to be SEC-free too until the early 90's. People seem to forget USC was a founding member of the ACC.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Don't look for that to change. Maybe Va Tech but I've read they are joined at the hip with UVA so they are staying in the ACC and there isn't a school worthy of an SEC invite outside of UVA and VA Tech in Virginia. As for North Carolina, who could the SEC get? UNC, Duke, and NC State aren't leaving each other and the SEC does not want Wake Forest. UNC would be the big prize but why would UNC leave? I think if UVA and Va Tech somehow could separate, the SEC would come running for Va Tech because it gives them inroads to the Washington DC metro.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
The only reason why the SEC would want to nab the Virginia or NC schools is to bolster its academic reputation, but after adding Texas A&M (a very good get) and Mizzou (not A&M good, but respectable) I think they're content to stand pat for a while. They already have a footprint in arguably the most football-crazy state in the country (Texas) and already dominate two other huge ones in Florida and Georgia (in the next 20 years, I fully expect GA to surpass Florida, California and Texas for the honor for having the best high school football talent in the country).

Another reason why they're good where they're at is because the Big Ten is looking at those same schools, especially UNC (commish Delany is a UNC grad) and the VA schools. Even though the SEC has more football clout, they know they likely have little chance of outbidding the B1G because UVA and UNC will likely align with the more academic-oriented conference, and the B1G is a better basketball conference than they are at football, at least lately.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:59 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The only reason why the SEC would want to nab the Virginia or NC schools is to bolster its academic reputation, but after adding Texas A&M (a very good get) and Mizzou (not A&M good, but respectable) I think they're content to stand pat for a while. They already have a footprint in arguably the most football-crazy state in the country (Texas) and already dominate two other huge ones in Florida and Georgia (in the next 20 years, I fully expect GA to surpass Florida, California and Texas for the honor for having the best high school football talent in the country).

Another reason why they're good where they're at is because the Big Ten is looking at those same schools, especially UNC (commish Delany is a UNC grad) and the VA schools. Even though the SEC has more football clout, they know they likely have little chance of outbidding the B1G because UVA and UNC will likely align with the more academic-oriented conference, and the B1G is a better basketball conference than they are at football, at least lately.
The Big 10 looking at southern schools? That's hard to imagine from a Mid-Western/Northeastern conference. I guess I'm coming at this from a geographical standpoint, but if you look at a map of all the SEC schools, the absence of NC and VA is pretty noticeable. Then again, Missouri (a Mid-Western state) is in the SEC and Notre Dame (A Mid-Western school MILES away from the Atlantic Coast) is playing basketball in the ACC so I don't know, a bit bizarre in my opinion. I doubt any NC or VA schools will make the switch over because those two states are BIG TIME ACC country, but I was just curious.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Big 10 looking at southern schools? That's hard to imagine from a Mid-Western/Northeastern conference. I guess I'm coming at this from a geographical standpoint, but if you look at a map of all the SEC schools, the absence of NC and VA is pretty noticeable. Then again, Missouri (a Mid-Western state) is in the SEC and Notre Dame (A Mid-Western school MILES away from the Atlantic Coast) is playing basketball in the ACC so I don't know, a bit bizarre in my opinion. I doubt any NC or VA schools will make the switch over because those two states are BIG TIME ACC country, but I was just curious.
Not that long ago, the thought of Maryland and Rutgers in the B1G sounded crazy. It long ago stopped being about geography.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Not that long ago, the thought of Maryland and Rutgers in the B1G sounded crazy. It long ago stopped being about geography.

stopped being about geography…….and started being about insanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football