Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:02 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The only way to beat oregon is to slow the game down to a snails pace and keep the ball away from the offense or oregon beats themselves. But no one has had had any luck this yeat slowing Oregons warp speed offense. And with an offense that can drive 98 yards in a minute or minute in a half if need be its hard to slow down.

I saw this today, i thought it was priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsbMv9d7Cg
I like Oregon, too, but it's a winnable game for Ohio State, much more than it was for FSU, which had absolutely no defense whatsoever coming into the Rose Bowl. Ohio State is also going to give up some scores to Oregon. In fact, I would predict that, based on what I saw in the Alabama game, Oregon will probably make at least five or six trips to the red zone.

That's where the game will probably end up being decided. Sims made poor decisions as Alabama got into the OSU side of the field. I doubt Mariota will do the same. That's not a knock on Sims, either -- he's still a young and developing QB. But Mariota's a very experienced pilot of this Oregon machine, and he runs it to perfection. I think Ohio State's goal should not be to prevent Oregon scoring at all costs. Rather, their defensive goals should stay simple:

1. Don't give up the big play, particularly in the backfield. Don't let Mariota beat you with the QB option, and don't let the running backs slice and dice up the field. Unfortunately, what I saw of Ohio State against Bama was not encouraging in this regard, but if they double down and really do their film work and keep it simple, Urban Meyer's wicked coaching might be able to pull this first part of the game plan off.

2. Keep the scores to field goals. Obviously, Oregon's not going to be denied touchdowns on all possessions inside the 20. But if Ohio State can take away half the touchdowns and limit those to field goal attempts, then instead of looking at a 42 point offensive output, they keep the game to a more manageable 27 or 30 points.

Ohio State will score on Oregon. They've got an offense, too, and Cardale Jones is quickly emerging as *the* guy for 2015. That guy's a freakin monster, and he's got a deadly good arm, too. Don't let last week's drubbing of an over-matched FSU team fool you: the Buckeyes are going to bring it.

Still, I like Oregon's chances, and I actually think that it'll be their defense in the second half that saves their first championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times
I think FSU demonstrated how to beat Oregon in the first half. Remember, at halftime, it was 18-13 Oregon. FSU probably would have had 3 more 1st half touchdowns with better play calling and if the officials hadn't blown that pass interference call. FSU self destructed in the 3rd quarter and Oregon dumped 27 points on them and that was all she wrote. I think at various points in the season, FSU would have won that game. But they didn't show up on New Year's Day.

It is easy to look at the FSU game and say Oregon is unbeatable, but they showed plenty of vulnerability. Ohio State is going to have to execute and not make mistakes to beat them. They can beat them, but the odds are against them. I like Ohio State's odds better than FSU's, b/c I think OSU is better coached and has more disciplined players.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:10 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Florida State had 5 turnovers in the second half. You cannot have that many turnovers against a team like Oregon and expect to win, or keep it close. The game was close and pretty competitive up until roughly the halfway point of the third quarter, and then Oregon turn on the jets (aided by some bad turnovers by the Seminoles) and cruised to the win.

I really think this is the year Oregon gets their title.

I'd also take Mariotta over Winston if I were and NFL team.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times
Quote:
I'd also take Mariotta over Winston if I were and NFL team.
No doubt. Winston is disappointing. In addition to his off the field antics, I don't think he was as good a player this year as last year. Is it just me, or has he put on some weight? He seemed less athletic this season. If teams think he has already peaked, his pro career is doomed.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
One of the key factors for Ohio is going to be "can their defense compete a full 4 quarters". It isn't uncommon for Oregon to go into half time with only a small lead only to blow it out in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Oregon's defense is used to playing fast, look who they have to practice against. So, if Ohio's defense can last until the end of the game, it going to be hard to call, but if they start show fatigue, Oregon will smell blood in the water and there goes the game for Ohio.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
One of the key factors for Ohio is going to be "can their defense compete a full 4 quarters". It isn't uncommon for Oregon to go into half time with only a small lead only to blow it out in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Oregon's defense is used to playing fast, look who they have to practice against. So, if Ohio's defense can last until the end of the game, it going to be hard to call, but if they start show fatigue, Oregon will smell blood in the water and there goes the game for Ohio.
Turnovers would kill OSU's chances pretty quickly. If they can take care of the ball and keep Oregon from imposing their will in the red zone, then it'll probably go down to the final five minutes.

It's pretty basic, but if you're worried about an offensive juggernaut like the Ducks, then the last thing you want to do is give them extra possessions (like offensive board in basketball). The key to beating Oregon is to limit their possessions, to take away the number of plays, which runs a little bit counter to the decades-old notion of clock control (time of possession). It's number of plays which kills you against Oregon. Don't turn the ball over, run the ball well, mix up the pass, and keep them at 3rd and long in the red zone.

The problem is, this is easier said than done. What Ohio State is going to have a hard time with over the next week is simulating what Oregon does week in, week out. It's going to be impossible, and they just don't really play anyone on their schedule that has come anywhere close to giving them the Oregon 'look'. Alabama was probably the best offensive team they've faced all year, but they don't score points the way Oregon does; they're a more traditional 'pass off of the run' kinda team. Oregon makes a 20 yard pass play, gets up to the line of scrimmage and throws a ten yard running play at you - and if you're not quite set, then that 10-yard play becomes a 25 yard play...or worse.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
No doubt. Winston is disappointing. In addition to his off the field antics, I don't think he was as good a player this year as last year. Is it just me, or has he put on some weight? He seemed less athletic this season. If teams think he has already peaked, his pro career is doomed.
So send him to the Raiders, its a good fit for a future implosion.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I think FSU demonstrated how to beat Oregon in the first half. Remember, at halftime, it was 18-13 Oregon. FSU probably would have had 3 more 1st half touchdowns with better play calling and if the officials hadn't blown that pass interference call. FSU self destructed in the 3rd quarter and Oregon dumped 27 points on them and that was all she wrote. I think at various points in the season, FSU would have won that game. But they didn't show up on New Year's Day.

It is easy to look at the FSU game and say Oregon is unbeatable, but they showed plenty of vulnerability. Ohio State is going to have to execute and not make mistakes to beat them. They can beat them, but the odds are against them. I like Ohio State's odds better than FSU's, b/c I think OSU is better coached and has more disciplined players.
I can't be sure you have actually watched very many Oregon games. Most teams keep in close in the 1st half, then WHAM!!!! 59-20. The Ducks are like a prize fighter...they toy with you for a while, and just as you are getting winded, they will go all Tasmanian Devil on you both offensively and on Defense.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,748,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I can't be sure you have actually watched very many Oregon games. Most teams keep in close in the 1st half, then WHAM!!!! 59-20. The Ducks are like a prize fighter...they toy with you for a while, and just as you are getting winded, they will go all Tasmanian Devil on you both offensively and on Defense.
Yes oregon is a 2nd half team.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM

328 posts, read 434,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Did I call it, or did I call it?

I was a little surprised at the number of turnovers that FSU committed on offense, but I was not at all surprised with how easily the Ducks moved the ball on a defense that's nothing like the 2013 version of the Noles. The Noles were sloppy on defense all year long and expected to just turn it on on the big stage -- except that it doesn't work like that. By this time of year, you are who you are.

As for Ohio State, all I can say is that I knew going into that game they had a shot against Alabama. Bama just doesn't have the same kind of shut-down defense that their previous championship teams had. The games against LSU and Auburn were major clues that Bama might have some trouble in the finale this year. Alabama looked vulnerable throughout the year against teams that had a good offensive line and could throw down field. And while LSU wasn't really that good on offense, they pushed Bama around the field all night long, which was an indication that Bama's vaunted line strength was overrated. What was clear was that this year's Tide didn't own the line of scrimmage the way that they had before. Part of that is Alabama being slightly less talented, but a lot of that has to do with better recruiting by other programs around the country.

I'm sticking with my prediction in the title game, too. I think Ohio State will be, by far, the toughest opponent for the Ducks outside of Arizona, which somehow seemed to have their number. But I still like the Ducks. All this goes back to what I said a long time ago on another thread: Oregon's been preparing for this moment for a long time. Chip Kelly revolutionized the game a few years ago with his modern version of the pistol. The one problem that Oregon has had in previous years was that they just didn't have enough power to beat the elite teams off the football.

In case you didn't see it last night, those days are over. Oregon's gradually gotten bigger and bigger on the lines. They've also gotten more physical on defense. But even more worrisome, and what gets overlooked, is that Oregon has some really strong backs and receivers to complement their speed. Yes, Oregon's fast, but they're also physical. They're physical enough to bang with any team in the nation - Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, or SEC. Doesn't matter. I think Ohio State puts up a good fight, but Oregon will make big plays and win the game. I'll keep the score about the same.

And I picked the same other then my pick for the Ohio St- Alabama was 40-34 and the score was 42-34.

Ohio St is very young, not much experience and the only way Oregon wins is with the experience. Ohio St is much quicker then people realized. If Cardell runs the ball well and finishes out his runs instead of anticipating a hit no Duck player can take him down. He is too strong and powerful.

As most are counting the ducks before they hatch, I am happy Ohio St proved they belonged in the final 4 and if they win it all it will be just icing on the cake. If they lose, they are still the second best team in the country with 6 starters not playing from the start of the season, two seniors kicked off the team who would be starting and a 3rd string QB. No one has ever accomplished as much as Ohio St has with all this happening in one year.

Impressed with Oregon myself but if Ohio St beats them and they can, then people who hate Ohio St will have to stop hating because Ohio St can win 2-3 National Title in a row with young group and 3 fantastic QBs who would start for most all college teams.

Haters never win, because win or lose, the Buckeyes just slammed the haters like they did Alabama.

The whining about Ohio St jumping over TCU and Baylor is now gone gladly, then everyone had Alabama destroying Ohio St, did not happen.

If the Buckeyes beat Oregon the slow purr will happen because holding up a trophy a year early in my opinion is just icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football