Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM

328 posts, read 434,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
One of the key factors for Ohio is going to be "can their defense compete a full 4 quarters". It isn't uncommon for Oregon to go into half time with only a small lead only to blow it out in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Oregon's defense is used to playing fast, look who they have to practice against. So, if Ohio's defense can last until the end of the game, it going to be hard to call, but if they start show fatigue, Oregon will smell blood in the water and there goes the game for Ohio.

I have never witnessed any Ohio St team ever showing fatigue. They have coaches that put the Buckeye players through heck on conditioning, strength etc.

Did you see Ohio St defensive line man handle a much bigger Alabama O line?

The hurry up offense is really all Oregon has as an advantage over Ohio St. Ohio St can run with them on speed. Ohio St has not played teams like this so Urban will be getting them ready I am sure.

My thought is Ohio St just beats Oregon up physically and that will drain them badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
I have never witnessed any Ohio St team ever showing fatigue. They have coaches that put the Buckeye players through heck on conditioning, strength etc.

Did you see Ohio St defensive line man handle a much bigger Alabama O line?

The hurry up offense is really all Oregon has as an advantage over Ohio St. Ohio St can run with them on speed. Ohio St has not played teams like this so Urban will be getting them ready I am sure.

My thought is Ohio St just beats Oregon up physically and that will drain them badly.
Yeah...No. I have watched these guys live in person. You can't beat them up because they play zone defense and are masters of taking the ball away...not trying to stop you. the exception is in the red zone. This is when they become a brick wall.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I can't believe my "upset special" actually came out to work.

I think Oregon will still win. Besides their U of A lost, they were too dominant most of the year, including the FSU game.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The only way to beat oregon is to slow the game down to a snails pace and keep the ball away from the offense or oregon beats themselves. But no one has had had any luck this yeat slowing Oregons warp speed offense. And with an offense that can drive 98 yards in a minute or minute in a half if need be its hard to slow down.

I saw this today, i thought it was priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsbMv9d7Cg
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I like Oregon, too, but it's a winnable game for Ohio State, much more than it was for FSU, which had absolutely no defense whatsoever coming into the Rose Bowl. Ohio State is also going to give up some scores to Oregon. In fact, I would predict that, based on what I saw in the Alabama game, Oregon will probably make at least five or six trips to the red zone.

That's where the game will probably end up being decided. Sims made poor decisions as Alabama got into the OSU side of the field. I doubt Mariota will do the same. That's not a knock on Sims, either -- he's still a young and developing QB. But Mariota's a very experienced pilot of this Oregon machine, and he runs it to perfection. I think Ohio State's goal should not be to prevent Oregon scoring at all costs. Rather, their defensive goals should stay simple:

1. Don't give up the big play, particularly in the backfield. Don't let Mariota beat you with the QB option, and don't let the running backs slice and dice up the field. Unfortunately, what I saw of Ohio State against Bama was not encouraging in this regard, but if they double down and really do their film work and keep it simple, Urban Meyer's wicked coaching might be able to pull this first part of the game plan off.

2. Keep the scores to field goals. Obviously, Oregon's not going to be denied touchdowns on all possessions inside the 20. But if Ohio State can take away half the touchdowns and limit those to field goal attempts, then instead of looking at a 42 point offensive output, they keep the game to a more manageable 27 or 30 points.

Ohio State will score on Oregon. They've got an offense, too, and Cardale Jones is quickly emerging as *the* guy for 2015. That guy's a freakin monster, and he's got a deadly good arm, too. Don't let last week's drubbing of an over-matched FSU team fool you: the Buckeyes are going to bring it.

Still, I like Oregon's chances, and I actually think that it'll be their defense in the second half that saves their first championship.
arizona did slow oregon down this season, and beat them. they couldnt do it a second time though. oregon will be healthy and fully staffed for the game against ohio state.

the first half of the FSU game went just as oregon planned it. they did enough on defense to slow FSU down and keep them out of the end zone, and then they turned it on in the second half and they like to do and took FSU completely out of their game.

watch for oregon to do the same with ohio state. ohio state however is a tougher team than FSU is, so i expect the score to be closer, perhaps something like 42-31 oregon.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oregon will be healthy and fully staffed for the game against ohio state.
Maybe not so fully staffed after all -- flunked drug test to a key wide-out makes the margin for error a lot less now for the Ducks. This thing could go either way now, which just sucks for Oregon and their fans. It's not just the loss to the receiver; it's the distraction that comes with this sort of off-the-field misconduct. They're heading into the biggest game of their lives and then this happens. I honestly don't know how to call this one, but Ohio State's not a great defensive team, so they might still prevail.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 AM

328 posts, read 434,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
arizona did slow oregon down this season, and beat them. they couldnt do it a second time though. oregon will be healthy and fully staffed for the game against ohio state.

the first half of the FSU game went just as oregon planned it. they did enough on defense to slow FSU down and keep them out of the end zone, and then they turned it on in the second half and they like to do and took FSU completely out of their game.

watch for oregon to do the same with ohio state. ohio state however is a tougher team than FSU is, so i expect the score to be closer, perhaps something like 42-31 oregon.

He was not surprised by anything other then HOW BAD Oregon beat Fla St.

I said it right here on CD after the Fla St v Notre Dame game that FSU is not very good and will be lucky to get through the season without getting destroyed.

Now I wonder if Oregon is good or FSU was really just awful.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Maybe not so fully staffed after all -- flunked drug test to a key wide-out makes the margin for error a lot less now for the Ducks. This thing could go either way now, which just sucks for Oregon and their fans. It's not just the loss to the receiver; it's the distraction that comes with this sort of off-the-field misconduct. They're heading into the biggest game of their lives and then this happens. I honestly don't know how to call this one, but Ohio State's not a great defensive team, so they might still prevail.
the loss of one receiver is not a big deal since mariota does spread the ball around, but it does hurt a bit.

Quote:

I said it right here on CD after the Fla St v Notre Dame game that FSU is not very good and will be lucky to get through the season without getting destroyed.

trust me oregon is a very good team. you dont beat ucla, arizona, FSU, michigan state, and utah, all ranked teams at the time by the way, and not be a good team.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:

I think it is FSU being snake bites by their strength and Oregon being at the very least somewhat good.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Oregon doesn't seem to think it matters, but the WR was a key player in the playoff. Just keep getting more and more bad news. Am praying for the Ducks, but if If I were in Vegas, I think I would take Ohio St (still losing) with the 7 points...that is if its still 7.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Oregon doesn't seem to think it matters, but the WR was a key player in the playoff. Just keep getting more and more bad news. Am praying for the Ducks, but if If I were in Vegas, I think I would take Ohio St (still losing) with the 7 points...that is if its still 7.
I think Oregon's still probably the obvious favorite going into tomorrow night's game. I would agree that when it gets down to it, Oregon's team concept makes most of the individual skill players more like role players - they're missing pieces that just need to be replaced.

It's a concern for one reason: the loss of a speedy play-maker like Carrington could bring a game that should be pretty much decisive in Oregon's favor closer to within Urban Meyer's reach. He knows he can't keep Oregon off the scoreboard, and he knows the Quack attack will move the ball well, especially in the first few possessions. What Meyer hopes is that he can avoid the big play. Carrington's just one guy but he's one guy who can score from 30+ yards away. Mariota's another. If you can reduce the likelihood of a mad dash to the end zone, you can keep the game close and make it a red zone war, a running backs war. That's what Ohio State wants. I still think Oregon's got enough weaponry to take this, but the loss of Carrington means that someone else is going to have to be a deep threat to complement Mariota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football