Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
LOL! There is no way...no way OSU beat Alabama (and I am far from an Alabama fan saying this).
I wouldn't be so overconfident. Candale Jones was pretty dead-on accurate throwing the deep pass and Alabama's defenders have not been the shutdown corners of the past. The Tide's still very good at keeping the running game contained, but Urban's going to test that secondary. Alabama's defensive line isn't necessarily that overpowering either -- barely edging into the top 50 in sacks made. I don't like to bet against Nick Saban but I think the experts could get surprised on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I wouldn't be so overconfident. Candale Jones was pretty dead-on accurate throwing the deep pass and Alabama's defenders have not been the shutdown corners of the past. The Tide's still very good at keeping the running game contained, but Urban's going to test that secondary. Alabama's defensive line isn't necessarily that overpowering either -- barely edging into the top 50 in sacks made. I don't like to bet against Nick Saban but I think the experts could get surprised on this one.
In one game. Against an overrated defense. If Candale Jones doesn't have a fantastic passing game against Alabama I don't see OSU having much of a rushing attack against the number 3 rushing defense in the country in Alabama.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
In one game. Against an overrated defense. If Candale Jones doesn't have a fantastic passing game against Alabama I don't see OSU having much of a rushing attack against the number 3 rushing defense in the country in Alabama.
Wisconsin had the No. 2 passing defense in the country. With Urban, anything is possible.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wisconsin had the No. 2 passing defense in the country. With Urban, anything is possible.
Anything is possible I suppose. But consider this. The top passing offense Wisconsin faced this year (in terms of passing yards per game) was #45 in the country (Bowling Green). Also notable Iowa State has more passing yards per game than #50 OSU (ISU being #48). Also OSU was #50 in the country with another QB most of the year. I'm not saying OSU can't pull off an upset, but it would be one of epic proportions.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:55 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Bama and Oregon are going to boat race. Both games will be over at halftime.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Anything is possible I suppose. But consider this. The top passing offense Wisconsin faced this year (in terms of passing yards per game) was #45 in the country (Bowling Green). Also notable Iowa State has more passing yards per game than #50 OSU (ISU being #48). Also OSU was #50 in the country with another QB most of the year. I'm not saying OSU can't pull off an upset, but it would be one of epic proportions.
It's easy to go by stats but on any given Saturday, anyone can win.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's easy to go by stats but on any given Saturday, anyone can win.
True. Just like when VaTech beat OSU by two touchdowns!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Exactly, favorable match-ups, changed schemes (passing to set up the run game instead of running to set up the pass game), injuries (playable and non-playable) or Bill Buckner like boners that can never happen again. I know it's the pros but the Cardinals kicker kicked two field goals into the posts and they bounced back into the endzone both times. There's always the fluke situations that can happen.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:18 PM

328 posts, read 434,507 times
Quote:

And you forgot they had a brand new freshman QB and 4 other startes not playing that game.

Had Braxton Miller played they would be No 1 and undefeated.

Then Barrett goes on to the one of the best players in the country.

Baylor lost to who? West Virgina I believe. With a full starting lineup.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Alabama vs. Ohio State -- This is hard to pick because nobody knows just how good the Buckeyes really are at this point. But when I look at the videotape highlights of some recent games, it's pretty clear that while Alabama's got recent history on its side, this is a winnable game for OSU. Alabama's defense in 2011 and 2012 was strong at every position, but since last year, they've been a lot more vulnerable in the secondary. Auburn exposed them with the deep ball on at least three or four different occasions in the Iron Bowl game. By that same token, Ohio State's "third string" quarterback was masterful in throwing the deep route. That's not a good combination for Alabama. Ohio State's consistently been putting up points on almost anyone. Of course they've given up some as well. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a second consecutive Superdome loss for the Tide. Ohio State 38, Alabama 35.

Oregon vs. FSU -- This game is a little easier to predict. I think FSU's had a remarkable run the last two years, and they deserve to play in this game, but Oregon's going to send them packing. I don't doubt FSU's ability to put up points against Oregon, but they won't be able to keep up with Oregon's offense, and the Noles defense hasn't shown any signs of improvement in recent weeks. If they're waiting to flip the switch, Oregon's absolutely the last team they want to face. Oregon 49 FSU 28.

Assuming things unfold as above, that would leave Oregon against Ohio State. I think the Big Ten got a taste of what Oregon has to offer earlier this year, and I don't think the outcome would be much different. Ohio State's never played a team quite like Oregon, and it's really hard to get used to the pace that the Ducks bring. And unlike 2009 when the two played in the Rose Bowl, Oregon's offensive line would match up well against the Buckeyes this time. Oregon 31 Ohio State 27. Oregon wins its first national championship.
If OSU's number one and number two QB's were really healthy I'd say it would be great game as this years class at Alabama is not like the recent years. However, they are not. OSU will have to be flawless to win particularly in that secondary. Have to keep Alabama's offense off the field. Not sure they can or will do that.

Alabama 31. OSU. 24

Oregon vs FSU. Oregon is that fast, that much in shape. FSU, ain't.

Oregon. 37. FSU 21

Alabama vs Oregon. Oregon will face physical. Alabama will fast undying speed reminiscent of Miami under Jimmy Johnson's dynasty. Assuming Oregon doesn't get physically beat up, literally in the first two quarters, wins. But, it will be close.

Oregon 31. Alabama 28
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football