Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "Super Conference" set up do you prefer?
1) Eight 16-team Conferences 6 85.71%
2) 5 & 5 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Here is how I would align the super 8 conferences

ACC
Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech and

Big Ten
Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Illinois

Big 12
Texas, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Colorado, Nebraska, TCU and Texas A&M

SEC
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky and Vanderbilt

Pac 12
USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, California and Boise State

Big East
Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, UConn, Marshall, Rutgers, Northern Illinois, South Florida, UCF, East Carolina, West Virginia and Cincinnati

Mountain West
Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State, Fresno State, Hawaii, UNLV, Air Force, New Mexico, Wyoming, San Jose State, Utah State and BYU

Conference USA
Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, Rice, SMU, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Toledo and Central Michigan
Great idea. Ain't happening. I'm pretty sure the Big XII Brass would love to have Mizzwho back instead of TCU simply from a revenue/TV market/fan standpoint.

Those days are gone. A couple of years of OU and Tejas not makin' the Playoff and you can kiss the current configuration goodbye. I sure hope the greedy Board of Regents', et al. adds teams to get this back to conf. that can say it has the same rules/# of games as the other Power 5. Probably won't happen though. The Big XII leadership has shown it's all about standing pat and being reactive. The lesser teams like Baylor and TCU will continue to suffer for it even when they have great success like they did this year. Gotta change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
14 teams are a bad thing for college football, 16 would be even worse.

Stick with 12 team conferences.
Too late...

Old 12-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Here is how I would align the super 8 conferences

ACC
Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech and

Big Ten
Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Illinois

Big 12
Texas, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Colorado, Nebraska, TCU and Texas A&M

SEC
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky and Vanderbilt

Pac 12
USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, California and Boise State

Big East
Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, UConn, Marshall, Rutgers, Northern Illinois, South Florida, UCF, East Carolina, West Virginia and Cincinnati

Mountain West
Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State, Fresno State, Hawaii, UNLV, Air Force, New Mexico, Wyoming, San Jose State, Utah State and BYU

Conference USA
Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, Rice, SMU, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Toledo and Central Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Northeastern (14):
Boston College, UConn, Army, Rutgers, Navy, Maryland, Temple (7)
Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Miami-Ohio (7)

Big North (14):
Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota (7)
Nebraska, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Iowa, Northern Illinois (7)

Appalachian-Atlantic (14):
Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, East Carolina (7)
Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati, Marshall, West Virginia (7)

Southeastern (15):
Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Clemson, South Carolina (6)
Florida State, Florida, Central Florida, South Florida, Miami (5)
Memphis, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss (4)

Mid South (13):
Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Houston, LSU, Tulane (6)
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Tulsa (7)

Pacific (13):
Hawaii, San Diego State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Fresno State, Cal, Stanford (7)
Nevada, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Boise State (6)

Mountain (13):
UNLV, Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, UTEP, New Mexico State (6)
Utah, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, Air Force, Utah State, Wyoming (7)

Each league could have some "affiliate" or "understudy" members. Like if an understudy team wins big, it would go to the conference's big bowl. Enough good seasons would warrant full membership. These partial members would play half or 3-quarter conference schedules, and their players would be eligible for all conference honors. They can schedule as an independent for the rest of the games. They could have a play-in game to the conference championship.
I gotta tell you guys, either one of these set ups would be GREAT.

Problem is, that would make too much sense...

Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Why bother? Just put the 8-12 sustainable programs that have a snowball's chance in hell of a NC in one league and call everything else club football. Because that's going to be the reality anyway. Bring the regional rivalries back for the also-rans (which represent 80% or more of the P5 anyway).

When there are state universities with large endowments sitting outside the P5 while Wake Forest is in the P5, well, things are f'd up.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
I thought 12 schools with logical geography was good but it's all about tv money

Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I thought 12 schools with logical geography was good but it's all about tv money
No one cares about geography anymore. That should be obvious.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM

462 posts, read 719,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No one cares about geography anymore. That should be obvious.
In sports outside of football, travel is a big factor. Conferences only add a team from some remote, discontiguous state like Florida if they have something to offer that offsets the travel costs. Usually it is better recruiting or increased market size. The then-Pac-10 tried going for Texas because it would add another "heavyweight" to go along with USC, and Texas has huge TV markets. There was nothing like Texas that was geographically closer. Still, it was a desperation move in my opinion. Going for the quick buck over a conference built for the long haul is not a wise decision. The WAC-16 tried the stretch, and ended up breaking up into smaller parts. Now the WAC barely even exists as a D1 conference.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
In sports outside of football, travel is a big factor. Conferences only add a team from some remote, discontiguous state like Florida if they have something to offer that offsets the travel costs. Usually it is better recruiting or increased market size. The then-Pac-10 tried going for Texas because it would add another "heavyweight" to go along with USC, and Texas has huge TV markets. There was nothing like Texas that was geographically closer. Still, it was a desperation move in my opinion. Going for the quick buck over a conference built for the long haul is not a wise decision. The WAC-16 tried the stretch, and ended up breaking up into smaller parts. Now the WAC barely even exists as a D1 conference.
In terms of football, the WAC doesn't exist. It's just for other sports.

It's amazing how things have changed just within the last 5 years alone. Imagine what thing could look like next decade.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Honestly 10 should be the number. I think 12 is too many myself. I actually like the round robin thing.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly 10 should be the number. I think 12 is too many myself. I actually like the round robin thing.
It may be your preference, but the vast majority of the Big XII fans in Oklahoma and Tejas want twelve teams with divisions and a championship. The current configuration was setup by greedy regents and university presidents to cash in on more money with the chance of sneaking OU/Tejas in there with one less game than the other Power 5. Greedy greedy! It obviously blew up in there face this year. The TCU's/Baylor's of the world are gonna have to go undefeated to get in the Playoff....which will be very difficult in every Power 5 other than the weak ACC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football