Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Big Ten is by far the darling conference. I say this as someone who grew up in the Northeast not caring about college football...at all. Who other than Big Ten alums wants to see an OSU-Michigan game in the Tri-State area? Yet that crap gets forced down our throats year after year. The same is true with ACC basketball and the UNC-Duke rivalry.

I'd say the PAC 12 might be second.

I'm not sure why any Black player would play for an SEC school when they wouldn't even allow you on campus a few decades ago.

And college athletes should receive some type of remuneration.
Going by that logic no black player should ever want to play for any school that ever discriminated against AA's. Whether they integrated in the 40s or 60s doesn't matter. And contrary to popular beliefs, just because some northern and west coast schools let black players score touchdowns for them doesn't mean they weren't discriminated against there either.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:00 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
we`re not done yet .. we have two more games we can lose today and tomorrow ..

Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Going by that logic no black player should ever want to play for any school that ever discriminated against AA's. Whether they integrated in the 40s or 60s doesn't matter. And contrary to popular beliefs, just because some northern and west coast schools let black players score touchdowns for them doesn't mean they weren't discriminated against there either.
It does matter. There's a big difference between the type of discrimination Blacks faced at Harvard (Du Bois, Hastie, etc.) and the type of discrimination they faced at Mississippi State. Some of those schools are STILL bad.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It does matter. There's a big difference between the type of discrimination Blacks faced at Harvard (Du Bois, Hastie, etc.) and the type of discrimination they faced at Mississippi State. Some of those schools are STILL bad.
We're not talking about Harvard. We're talking about the Midwest and west coast. And I do agree that the differences in discrimination did matter then. But 60 years from then do you think players care which shook was meaner than the other one? Not when race relations have improved drastically in the south. Hell, my dad is from Brooklyn and he has maintained that he experienced far more racism in NYC than he ever has in Texas. Funnily enough, looking at your screen name, my dad also happens to be from Barbados lol .

Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I don't see how the SEC losing a few bowl games suddenly means they're overrated & not a good conference. The history of their bowl wins speak for themselves to solidify them as a top conference. Growing up in Wisconsin, I saw year after year SEC teams beating up on Big 10 teams. They said during the pregame or game yesterday that Wisconsin is 2-7 vs SEC teams in bowl games So who is overrated here?

If SEC teams were overrated all those years, then wouldn't that mean they would face far better teams in bowl matchups & get clobbered? That didn't happen. Not even close.
This reminds me of that great quote Vitas Gerulaitis made after finally beating Jimmy Connors.

"Nobody, and I mean nobody, beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row!!!"

Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Wait, never mind. You're done now.

The only thing about college football that I hate more than Ohio State is SEC boosterism.
My granddaughter is alive because of The Ohio State University medical ...I luv 'em GO BUCKS! AFLAC THE DUCKS!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Well, on a related note, I watched most of the Cotton and all of the Rose and Sugar Bowls yesterday and guess what? I may start watching football (and hence, watch more of cable).

Now, not that I have any favorites, but I do like watching a well played game..........well, maybe Oregon and Florida could be better described as an interesting game.

I mean, how often does a ref fall backwards in astonishment?

Like I said, no favs here, just excellent playing.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,137 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the clear cut coaching edge the SEC has enjoyed over the past few years. Having the right head coach, and to a lesser extent support staff, is huge in college football. The players are extremely young men (18,19, 20 year old etc.) and they require a lot of guidance on and off the field. When I look back at some of the Big Ten 10 vs. SEC mathcups over the past decade, I remember some woefully unprepared Big Ten teams. The SEC has had big name, big money coaches for quite some time now (Saban, Miles) The Big Ten 10 is finally starting to realize that if you want to win a national title, you need an elite coach. Meyer comes to OSU and they all of a sudden get over the hump and beat a very solid Bama team, coincidence? Of course I'm not saying coaching is more important than the players on the field, but coaching is a much bigger factor in college football than the NFL.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
This means the SEC no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. The days of being guaranteed in the title game because "hey we're the best team in the sec" are over

Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
This means the SEC no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. The days of being guaranteed in the title game because "hey we're the best team in the sec" are over
Right on, right on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football