Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,021,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Football Ranked:

1. SEC
2. BIG 12
3. BIG 10

4. ACC

5. Pac 12

Academically ranked:

1. ACC
2. BIG 10
3. Pac 12

4. BIG 12

5. SEC
A&m is one of the best academically ranks schools in all the conferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,534,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
As in Texas A&M? Lmfao.. Good one.

Big 10
SEC
Big 12/Pac 10
ACC

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
No way.

B10 has two of the top 5 in the country.

PAC 12 does not belong even close to this. Way overrated as is the B12.

I am still going

SEC Still the conference in my opinion to beat.
B10 THE CHAMPS Ohio St, No 5 Mich St, Wisconsin, Nebraska and I see Michigan coming back soon.
ACC Conference is getting better and better.
PAC 12 With Oregon now without a QB they wont be a power. No other teams that good.
B12 LOL Oklahoma and Texas are going downhill and Baylor and TCU wont play over their heads next year.

Pac 12 and B12 wont be able to hang with the SEC, B10 or ACC next year. They have nothing left in the tank and the fluke seasons by Baylor and TCU along with all those really bad teams moves them to the bottom.
Dude, you serious? You do realize that the Big 12 has the next highest top 2 teams (3 and 7) after the Big 10..? By your logic the Big 12 should be the second best conference. So how is the big 12 "way overrated"? If anything it's underrated since people brush off Baylor and TCU as being flukes, just like yourself. But look at the history. Baylor has the highest winning percentage out of all the big 12 schools, FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS. The last time the Bears lost at home? October 2012 (against TCU). This season was no fluke. If you don't recall, Baylor finished the season 11-2 last year as well. It took him a few years, but once Briles got the program up and running Baylor became one of the most unstoppable/potent offenses in the nation. And Bennett has turned the defense around and is improving on their performance year after year. Oh, and Balyor continues to pull the best recruits it's ever landed.. capped off this year by the recent commitment of 5* dual threat QB Jarrett Stidham.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post

Hahaha, since when??!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,309,280 times
I've got a little joke:

What do five Big Ten graduates at my office call a graduate of the Southeastern Conference?

Boss.

LOL.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've got a little joke:

What do five Big Ten graduates at my office call a graduate of the Southeastern Conference?

Boss.

LOL.
What does that have to do with the fact A&M is FAR from "one of the best academically ranked schools in all of the conferences"?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times
Quote:
I've got a little joke:

Boss.

LOL.

That's an anomaly, unless the SEC team was Vandy.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,309,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What does that have to do with the fact A&M is FAR from "one of the best academically ranked schools in all of the conferences"?
Actually, A&M is indeed one of the best schools academically - at least in terms of engineering and agriculture. You won't find an A&M graduate becoming an internationally-renowned expert on 14th Century Russian Literature, but uh, I kinda doubt the average Aggie grad cares.

I think that posters constantly injecting academics into a discussion about sports is kinda lame. I'm a graduate of an SEC school (undergrad) but completed a grad school program at a pretty exclusive private institution and I've lived all over the nation and even in another country. Not that any of that matters, but I've had plenty of opportunities to evaluate the intellectual heft of graduates from different schools in different regions of the United States. I've not been especially impressed with any graduates of Big10 or ACC schools any more than I have been someone from an SEC college. Academic rankings are nothing but puffery, buoyed mainly by factors such as selectivity among high school graduates and how much money people are willing to pay to put a particular institution's name on their degree. These rankings are not really evaluating quality of instruction or the resources available to students. But more to the point, it's pretty clear that when you interview star athletes from other conferences, they're not exactly Rhodes scholars, either.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Actually, A&M is indeed one of the best schools academically - at least in terms of engineering and agriculture. You won't find an A&M graduate becoming an internationally-renowned expert on 14th Century Russian Literature, but uh, I kinda doubt the average Aggie grad cares.

I think that posters constantly injecting academics into a discussion about sports is kinda lame. I'm a graduate of an SEC school (undergrad) but completed a grad school program at a pretty exclusive private institution and I've lived all over the nation and even in another country. Not that any of that matters, but I've had plenty of opportunities to evaluate the intellectual heft of graduates from different schools in different regions of the United States. I've not been especially impressed with any graduates of Big10 or ACC schools any more than I have been someone from an SEC college. Academic rankings are nothing but puffery, buoyed mainly by factors such as selectivity among high school graduates and how much money people are willing to pay to put a particular institution's name on their degree. These rankings are not really evaluating quality of instruction or the resources available to students. But more to the point, it's pretty clear that when you interview star athletes from other conferences, they're not exactly Rhodes scholars, either.
Meh. Agriculture.. No surprise. Engineering? Doubtful. Pretty sure there are other engineering programs in other power 5 Texas schools better than a&m (Baylor, and UT I would imagine). Much less all the power 5 schools combined.

Agree with pretty much everything else though.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,575,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I just saw that ESPN posted their rankings of the Power 5 conferences. This is how they ranked them:

1. PAC-12
2. SEC
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC

I agree with that. I think the top 2 are close. I think the Big 12 and 10 are close and I agree with the ACC being number 5. What do you think?
Don't usually agree with much of anything which a biased-for-SEC ESPN puts out there, however this is a pleasant surprise, if only because I always pull for the Pac-12!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football