Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 AM

114 posts, read 134,034 times

Advertisements

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story...-ncaa-athletes

Quote:
Jadeveon Clowney, who could be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, told Jim Rome on Showtime that he might have stayed at South Carolina for his senior season had circumstances been different.

"It would have made a difference. If I had gotten paid and had a chance to take care of my family through college, I probably would have stayed and finished," Clowney said from the Exos training facility in Florida, where he is preparing for the NFL Scouting Combine. Asked if the time is right for college athletes to receive pay, Clowney was clear: Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _birminghamster_ View Post
Most of them are already getting free rides through college and free medical coverage if they get hurt. If they wanna get paid then let's get rid of the scholarships and let them pay their own way for an education. I know they generate a lot of money for the university, but paying them for an activity that's 100% voluntary seems ludicrous.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
I'd rather have them be required to attend class

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,161 times
Get the argument over with... just pay them and... take away scholarship, housing, books, medical, food, etc. Once they realize how much that all adds up (esp after they all pay for agents), then they would realize they have it good.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,726 times
I think everyone should watch the
Broke - ESPN Films: 30 for 30 which is on Netflix instant streaming. Prior to these athletes getting paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars most of them never went broke after retiring because they had to get a job and learn how to manage their money.

Ticket prices also seemed a lot more reasonable etc.

Need to return to the old salaries.

Of course most of these athletes get a free ride through college because they can barely read and write so it's no surprise they go broke.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Hell no. My daughter attends college. Had a great ACT and boffo GPA. Not one dime in scholarship money.

Paying college athletes will kill the game. The people who keep advocating for paying college athletes can't think more than five minutes ahead of time as to the effects of doing so. To wit:

1) Let's dispense with the notion that those college football players make money for the school. Most college football programs LOSE money as it is, not break even. In terms of revenue drain, it's actually more profitable to keep the marching band. They go in the hole to field a team. So imagine the effects of piling up stipends on top of that. This will drive up ticket prices which, in turn, will drive away fans. Or worse, it will create a situation where many schools abandon football entirely. Is this really what you want?

2) If you think recruiting is out of hand now, just wait. Imagine how quickly the offers will add up for some blue-chipper out of Florida. Even if the NCAA tries to regulate standard payment, you'll find all kinds of other incentives get offered.

Nope. Free tuition, room, board, and books are enough. It's a helluva lot more than what my daughter is getting, and she can run circles around those guys in a classroom.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-16-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hell no. My daughter attends college. Had a great ACT and boffo GPA. Not one dime in scholarship money.

Paying college athletes will kill the game. The people who keep advocating for paying college athletes can't think more than five minutes ahead of time as to the effects of doing so. To wit:

1) Let's dispense with the notion that those college football players make money for the school. Most college football programs LOSE money as it is, not break even. In terms of revenue drain, it's actually more profitable to keep the marching band. They go in the hole to field a team. So imagine the effects of piling up stipends on top of that. This will drive up ticket prices which, in turn, will drive away fans. Or worse, it will create a situation where many schools abandon football entirely. Is this really what you want?

2) If you think recruiting is out of hand now, just wait. Imagine how quickly the offers will add up for some blue-chipper out of Florida. Even if the NCAA tries to regulate standard payment, you'll find all kinds of other incentives get offered.

Nope. Free tuition, room, board, and books are enough. It's a helluva lot more than what my daughter is getting, and she can run circles around those guys in a classroom.
Some clarity to my numbers above. Only 68 of 120 FBS programs actually make a profit in football, or 56%. In addition, only 14 college athletic programs overall make a profit. Of those programs that don't make a profit, the rest rely on institutional subsidies at a time when rising tuitions are coming under increased scrutiny by skeptical parents. Scribble out tuition checks and, suddenly, you're wondering why some barely-literate kid who can dunk a basketball or catch a pass is being showered with money.

And under Title IX, if you play the football players, you'll have to pay the golf team, the equestrian team, and the women's lacrosse team, too. After all, they're risking injury in competition. They're devoting hundreds of hours to practice that's not compensated with cash either. While we're at it, maybe we need to pay the cheerleaders and the marching band, too. After all, they work hard. They add to the college experience. They contribute to the development of the school's brand. I mean, if you're going to play some football players, you can make a legitimate argument that if you're going to pay the athletes, then you have pay anybody who wears a uniform on Saturdays.

To me, the idea of paying players is absurd. The only thing it will mean is that a very few college programs will be able to thrive while the rest will be consigned to either being non-competitive or not playing at all. It is unfair to the students, it is unfair to the parents, and it is unfair to the rest of the university employees.

The only people backing it are sportswriters, the athletes themselves, and the brainless people who are so mesmerized by the first two that they'll swallow anything they say. Sportswriters not only have no connection to notion of profit and loss, but they tend to be neanderthals as well. As for the athletes, of course they'll want some cash. But here's the thing. If you think playing college football for free tuition, books, room, board, tutors, and all the other benefits is unfair, then don't play. Go deliver pizzas or work summers roofing houses the way every other college student does, college students who have far better GPAs and standardized test scores. The large majority of these athletes won't go to the NFL, so they get a sweet deal and don't even realize it.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-16-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

342 posts, read 685,742 times
Yes I think college players should be paid they are the bread winners and the engine to corrupt car called NCAA. Its easy to say they are getting scholarships and they need to get a job, but people don't realize their scholarship is year to year, players can be stuck paying for the bill if injured. Do you really think they have time to work between practice, study, class and to travel to play the damn game itself. They players are taking all the risk here and its sad people can't see that.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Yes I think college players should be paid they are the bread winners and the engine to corrupt car called NCAA. Its easy to say they are getting scholarships and they need to get a job, but people don't realize their scholarship is year to year, players can be stuck paying for the bill if injured. Do you really think they have time to work between practice, study, class and to travel to play the damn game itself. They players are taking all the risk here and its sad people can't see that.
You know, when I went to school, I had to work a full-time job. Classes from 8-2 and work from 3-midnight. For four years. So the argument that they don't have time is full of holes. Most college kids have to work a job. So excuse me if I don't feel sorry for a guy who has his tuition, housing, food, books, and class fees comped. What's more, all scholarships are year to year. If you attend on an academic scholarship, you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep it. Why shouldn't an athlete be expected to perform at a certain level to retain his scholarship?

As far as the bill for injury is concerned, then why not pay high school players while you're at it? Cheerleaders rack up huge numbers of injuries. Why not pay them? Tennis players get knee injuries. Golfers get back injuries. Let's pay those guys, too.

And this business of college being the bread winners is baloney. College football is a losing proposition for almost half of the 120 FBS schools. College athletics programs are a losing proposition for all but 14 of the FBS schools. Paying the players would reduce that number even further, and drive a good deal of them out the athletics altogether.

I'm sorry. But those who support paying college athletes simply haven't thought it through.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,045 times
I don't think they need a salary, maybe not even an allowance, but if a college athlete has to go home (cross country) for a funeral, sick parent or sibling, the school should be allowed to pay his/her traveling expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football