Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times

Advertisements

Maryland went to the Big 10 for one reason: Money. The Big 10 is a very rich conference with beau coup money. The ACC? Not so much. There's probably less than 5 schools outside of the SEC that wouldn't jump at the chance to join the Big 10 if they could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:55 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Maryland went to the Big 10 for one reason: Money. The Big 10 is a very rich conference with beau coup money. The ACC? Not so much. There's probably less than 5 schools outside of the SEC that wouldn't jump at the chance to join the Big 10 if they could.
The SEC just recently overtook the Big Ten in revenue last year. For years the Big Ten was the leader. Not sure about the future but a few of the Big Ten's tv contracts expire before the SEC's which means it will most likely overtake the SEC for a year or two.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Yup, and B10 added them and Rutgers for media markets.

I get it, but as a B10 fan I don't like it. Only thing added there as a fan was MD basketball.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM

455 posts, read 651,595 times
Quote:
Maryland's financial woes that led them to leave were due to their own poor decisions and an inept athletic department. Louisville was an upgrade for the ACC and has added value. The B1G is welcome to the Terps...

Old 10-02-2016, 02:43 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
BC is just in a rut. The program had a pretty good run from 2001 to 2009 where they won at least 8 games every year - 6 of those years they won at least 9 games. When they lost Jeff Jagodzinski the program took a dive. Under his helm they made it to back to back ACC title games in 2007 and 2008. Their first 5 seasons in the ACC they finished either first or second in their division. In 2009 they won 8 games and then in 2010 they won 7. Frank Spaziani simply could not recruit and the team's performance reflected that, he had the classes Jagodzinki had brough in for his first 2 seasons for 2009 and 2010. 2011 and 2012 were bad seasons one Spaziani's classes took over.

BC in the ACC makes more sense and feels right when compared to Maryland and Rutgers in the Big Ten and Texas A&M and Missouri in the SEC.

This is also the same program that recently produced one of the best linebackers in the NFL currently and also a top 15 NFL QB.
Adazzio.. I love watching BC football games just waiting to see if he's going to have a heart attack or stroke on the sidelines.

That guy is intense. Too intense, I think.. There's people that make it work.. Dabo is fairly intense, but Adazzio I think drifts a little towards the 'mean' intense.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
If you want intensity- this weeks BC-Clemson game should fit the bill. Skip Dabo and look for the DC Veneables on the sidelines. If he didn't run 5 miles a day I swear he'd be a stroke/cardiac arrest candidate himself.

As for BC in the ACC, it makes sense since it pairs well with Syracuse and balances out Miami being such a southern outlier and matches Miami fairly well in terms of type of school. It is also on par with the typical ACC school in terms of academics (aside from Duke/UVA at the top end and Louisville at the bottom, the ACC really does have a pretty tightly grouped set of member schools academically.) The school that I think is the biggest stretch is Louisville but again they pair well with Pitt.

I was pretty said to see Maryland go since I always felt it was a pretty ggod lynchpin in terms of academics, the type of students it drew and overall programs. You need something to find a thread between the Clemson/Ga Tech/NC State/Va Tech faction, the Duke/UVA/UNC faction and the Syracuse/Pitt/BC types- for me Maryland was always the school that made it a soup.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
BC has historically had a decent football program overall, and even pretty recently when Matt Ryan was there. They aren't a super big recruiting magnet, so they really have to build their program up, and will probably continue to go through up and down years.

To answer the question, they definitely belong in the ACC since the ACC is now really just a merger between the traditional ACC and the football schools of the Big East. Like all conferences now, the ACC has a few good teams at the top with most of the other teams being middle-of-the pack or bad, so BC should at least be competitive soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football