Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If ND were forced to join a conference in full membership, which would it choose?
ACC 8 28.57%
Big Ten 18 64.29%
Pac Ten 1 3.57%
SEC 0 0%
Big 12 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times

Advertisements

They should have joined the Big Ten 20 yrs ago.

But finishing 3rd or 4th in the B10 standings wouldn't have been very prestigious. Which is exactly why they never joined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
They should have joined the Big Ten 20 yrs ago.

But finishing 3rd or 4th in the B10 standings wouldn't have been very prestigious. Which is exactly why they never joined.
Yup, they had been in negotiations with the Big Ten for decades. It's obviously the most natural fit for them. Apparently, they could never work out the financials. Notre Dame makes an insane amount as an independent. The ACC gave them what they wanted, and allowed them to remain officially an independent in football. So from that perspective, they would probably choose the ACC if they had to choose a conference, but the most obvious natural fit is the Big Ten.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:38 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i cant think of anything they have to benefit the SEC .. we are football champs .. we are baseball champs . we are gymnastics champs. we are softball champs ,, we are golf champs .. we dont do hockey/wrestling or shuffle boarding ..
I went to graduate school in the SEC. Missouri does have a pretty good wrestling team.
I don't think Notre Dame would compete that well in the SEC for football. They would get annihilated.
They have a better chance (sort of) in the ACC but would likely get annihilated 2-3 times per season by FSU, Clemson, or one of the Carolina schools.

However, ND is already in the ACC for other sports like basketball. They do pretty good in that.
Honestly, ND would be better off in the Big 10 since it is closer. It would be better for the student athletes.
ND is a really hard school. It's tough to prepare for a game in far-away Florida on the weekend and have to face an organic chemistry exam on Mon or Tue. That type of schedule is horrific academically.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
When I think of Notre Dame, I think of the Notre Dame of my youth that ran up big scores on bottom dwellers from major conferences and refused to accept bowl bids (in my opinion, for fear of being exposed as mediocre), until the lure of bowl game cash became too big to ignore. Then they tried to schedule BCS bowl trips by loading their schedule with lightweights (service academies and more bottom teams from major conferences). The USC game has been an anomaly, one that I believe that ND would have dumped years ago had it not become an annual event. Their new association with the ACC makes booking a 10-2 season a bit more difficult, since the ACC chooses who they play and where.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
When I think of Notre Dame, I think of the Notre Dame of my youth that ran up big scores on bottom dwellers from major conferences and refused to accept bowl bids (in my opinion, for fear of being exposed as mediocre), until the lure of bowl game cash became too big to ignore. Then they tried to schedule BCS bowl trips by loading their schedule with lightweights (service academies and more bottom teams from major conferences). The USC game has been an anomaly, one that I believe that ND would have dumped years ago had it not become an annual event. Their new association with the ACC makes booking a 10-2 season a bit more difficult, since the ACC chooses who they play and where.

Their football team isn't in the ACC. And probably never will be.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Notre Dame will not join the Big Ten until they decide to bring back wrestling. Little known fact in the Big Ten by-laws is that for a school to be a full member of the Big Ten they HAVE to sponsor men's wrestling. This is why Rutgers and Maryland were easy choices a few years back. Syracuse was an option but alas no wrestling. Look at all the schools they've added. Penn State - wrestling, Nebraska - wrestling, Rutgers - wrestling, Maryland - wrestling. Believe it or not men's wrestling dictates much of the Big Ten's decision making.

The only associate members currently are Johns Hopkins for ice hockey. ND is however a future associate big ten member for mens and womens lacrosse.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
The Atlantic Coast Conference has men and women's lacrosse. That nullifies Norte Dame becoming an associate member of the Big Ten Conference solely for lacrosse.

Football will determine if Notre Dame joins a conference, and which conference it may join.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
I had them switched up. Johns Hopkins for Lax and ND for Ice Hockey. My bad.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Based on the way they play, Conference USA or Sun Belt would be a good fit.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i cant think of anything they have to benefit the SEC .. we are football champs .. we are baseball champs . we are gymnastics champs. we are softball champs ,, we are golf champs .. we dont do hockey/wrestling or shuffle boarding ..
yeah, except Oklahoma has won it the past 2 years running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football