Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times

Advertisements

I did not realize they are up to a whopping 40 bowl games....40. How did Mississippi State go 5-7 and make a bowl game? How are these bowl games even making money? Most of them have thousands of empty seats. I cannot imagine sponsors are paying large sums to put their name on a bowl game featuring two teams at 6-6 being played before Christmas. The Cotton Bowl has thousands of empty seats today. The Outback Bowl has thousands of empty seats today. Those are supposed to be 2 of the better bowl games.

Anyways this year the ACC should get the not with their 8-3 bowl record. Florida State and Clemson winning their top tier bowl games is the highlight - namely Clemson playing for the title again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:53 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Alabama has that issue every year. And this year is no different and Alabama's team is just as young as Ohio's.
Really? I haven't seen anything that says this, even though Alabama has a true freshman quarterback. Please provide some substantiation that Alabama is as young as Ohio State.

Alabama had 11 returning starters, and returning kickers and punters.

SEC teams with the most returning starters in 2016

Ohio State had five returning starters.

Ohio had to use a walk-on kicker who never played football before this year due to injuries.

Ohio State was the second most impaired team by returning production.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...lle-ohio-state

Next year, Ohio State will be much improved in this type of comparison.

Several of the very best NFL rookies this year played for Ohio State last year.

Ohio State's unreal 2016 draft class; Dallas' bend-don't-break D - NFL.com

Top five 2016 rookie classes by school: Ohio State No. 1 - NFL.com

Of Ohio State's 85 scholarship players this year, 59 were freshmen and sophomores.

Ohio State football scholarship chart | cleveland.com

Alabama and Clemson were relatively unscathed compared to the Buckeye underclassmen lost to the NFL in 2016.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,005,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Ohio had to use a walk-on kicker who never played football before this year due to injuries.
Ohio State shouldn't have used a kicker at all. Sadly for them Malik will be gone. Best of luck to him in the NFL, hopefully he ends up on a team I don't mind.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Really? I haven't seen anything that says this, even though Alabama has a true freshman quarterback. Please provide some substantiation that Alabama is as young as Ohio State.

Alabama had 11 returning starters, and returning kickers and punters.

SEC teams with the most returning starters in 2016

Ohio State had five returning starters.

Ohio State was the second most impaired team by returning production.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...lle-ohio-state

Next year, Ohio State will be much improved in this type of comparison.

Several of the very best NFL rookies this year played for Ohio State last year.

Ohio State's unreal 2016 draft class; Dallas' bend-don't-break D - NFL.com

Top five 2016 rookie classes by school: Ohio State No. 1 - NFL.com

Of Ohio State's 85 scholarship players this year, 59 were freshmen and sophomores.

Ohio State football scholarship chart | cleveland.com

Alabama and Clemson were relatively unscathed compared to the Buckeye underclassmen lost to the NFL in 2016.
Where were all of these excuses on January 30, 2016? Before the game, OSU fans were saying that OSU was more battle-tested because they played in a stronger conference and had beaten more quality opponents (Michigan, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wisconsin). Now they are saying they really didn't have a chance since they were too young and inexperienced LOL.

And youth can't be the reason for a 31-0 blowout. As I said earlier in this thread, Clemson's star players (Watson, Gallman, Renfrow, etc.) were all sophomores and freshmen last year, but at least managed to give Alabama some type of competition in the NC game. If OSU is good enough to dominate a veteran Oklahoma team on the road, then they should at least be good enough to score in the Playoff. You guys need to stop making excuses for what was simply an abysmal offensive performance.

USC's star QB is a freshman. He clearly doesn't need any excuses.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,005,873 times
It all just snowballed. Missing two field goals, confirming their kicker is completely useless, dropped passes, a couple key injuries early on (not sure how good the injured players were tbh), one of Barrett's few good passes taking a lucky Clemson bounce for an INT after the OSU guy dropped it, etc. We could have been looking at a 10-6 game early on instead of 10-0. That 10-0 turns into 17-0. Their defense makes a spectacular goal line stand in the 2nd half, giving up 0 points, then the offense goes 3 and out, forcing the defense to stay on the field most of the game (35:51 to be exact). It was pretty clear the defense was wearing down near the end, and a gassed unit gives up 2 more TDs.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Where were all of these excuses on January 30, 2016? Before the game, OSU fans were saying that OSU was more battle-tested because they played in a stronger conference and had beaten more quality opponents (Michigan, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wisconsin). Now they are saying they really didn't have a chance since they were too young and inexperienced LOL.

And youth can't be the reason for a 31-0 blowout. As I said earlier in this thread, Clemson's star players (Watson, Gallman, Renfrow, etc.) were all sophomores and freshmen last year, but at least managed to give Alabama some type of competition in the NC game. If OSU is good enough to dominate a veteran Oklahoma team on the road, then they should at least be good enough to score in the Playoff. You guys need to stop making excuses for what was simply an abysmal offensive performance.

USC's star QB is a freshman. He clearly doesn't need any excuses.
If you read the links that I provided, there has been a lot of consternation about Ohio State's offensive and defensive lines and about its passing game all season. Anybody who watched the Ohio State/Clemson game should have recognized that losing Michael Jordan on the second play of the first quarter was a crippling injury to the Ohio State offense, especially given the excellent Clemson defensive line.

Urban Meyer finally also must face the fact that he has a problem in the offensive coaching ranks. If handled properly, this will benefit Ohio State in the long run. Decisive wins at the end of the 2015 season over Michigan on the road and against Notre Dame in last year's Fiesta Bowl, coupled with key wins with a young team this year, muddled this issue for everyone. If Ohio State had lost to Clemson by 10-14 points, Meyer still might be complacent. So the Clemson blow-out may be a blessing in disguise, depending upon how successfully Meyer deals with the Buckeye's problems on offense. If Meyer can hold his highly ranked recruiting class together, it also will help contribute to the solution.

Defeating Oklahoma, Michigan and Wisconsin this year, were not insignificant victories. Ohio State, unlike Clemson, did not lose to the likes of Pittsburgh on its home field. How did that happen???

Clemson is extremely worthy of its title shot, but it remains a fact that Ohio State won this season after a massive, unprecedented talent loss last year, and that it consequently lacked depth at key positions. It also relied on a field goal kicker playing his first season of football, and who stumbled in Ohio State's last two games against Michigan and Clemson.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/01..._went_wro.html

Tyler Durbin was an incredible story, one that would have been mythical if he had been an anchor of an Ohio State victory over Clemson rather than a patsy in the loss.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...-states-kicker

What will be interesting is whether Meyer guts his offensive coaching staff and is even willing to supplant Barrett given his less than superb passing skills, assuming that Barrett was part of the problem and that Ohio State's offensive coordinator and quarterback coaches weren't just generally inept.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-03-2017 at 02:10 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 AM

459 posts, read 474,655 times
Looking at their bowl game wins and loses they are the worst conference this year in football.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM

638 posts, read 977,659 times
I was surprised that Clemson destroyed OSU like that but in no universe will Clemson beat this Bama team. Mark my words.. and I will be back here to tell you all, I told you so. (and if by some miracle Clemson wins, I will be back here to laugh at this comment)

Old 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM

455 posts, read 651,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
I was surprised that Clemson destroyed OSU like that but in no universe will Clemson beat this Bama team. Mark my words.. and I will be back here to tell you all, I told you so. (and if by some miracle Clemson wins, I will be back here to laugh at this comment)
That's why they play the game...

Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Looking at their bowl game wins and loses they are the worst conference this year in football.
Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football