Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:48 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Barrett just isn't that good. Anyway, I think you're missing my point about JT/Samuel not being that good. Besides, Zeke (who left after his junior year) has said stuff like "I'd give anything to play with the Buckeyes one more time." Of course, I'm sure that anything doesn't include his $25m contract.

JT is inconsistent, although it didn't help him that his receivers were dropping passes and not getting much separation, and he didn't have a FG kicker who could actually make a FG. I don't think this was his worst game, but I wasn't impressed by him. That said, I think the game just got out of hand. They could have been down 10-6 early instead of 10-0 if they had a decent kicker. It just got out of control. In fact, when they missed their 2nd FG, I saw that coming. I think they missed it from the 30. Instead of going for all 18 yards on 3rd down, they should have gone for ~10, then gone for the rest on 4th down.

It's hard for me to understand how OSU was getting 200+ running yards per game for much of the year with their offense. Their offense was bad last night, it was bad against Michigan, and it was bad against Michigan State.

Watching the game, college penalties are just stupid also. PI is a 15 yard penalty, not at the spot of the foul. For some reason, for offensive holding, it's 10 yards, but they count the play and bring you back 10 yards there. You don't discount the play and get 1st and 20 like you should. Clemson (maybe OSU too, can't remember if they held) actually gained yardage a few times from committing offensive holding.
Holding is a spot foul. If you commit a hold on at the first down marker on a 10 yard game. It will come back 10 yards from the spot of the foul and I think that's a good call.

The PI 15 yard stuff is a joke. There are times when a PI is a great option. Should be a spot foul in my opinion.

OSU was getting good yardage on the ground- because they committed to running the ball during the season- and they didn't do that against Clemson. They also lost (G) M. Jordan first drive that hurt them- he's a tremendous run blocker.

I think things snowballed after the second miss as well. OSU is 61-6 under Urban and of those 6 there was a lot of panic in those games and deviations from game plans that I didn't agree with BUT hard to cast a shadow on 61-6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
I understand it's a spot foul, but I strongly prefer the NFL rule here. It's pretty absurd to commit a penalty and still gain yards on the play. It places a premium on teamwork and not cheating. For example, Ed Reed had a pick 6 against (Indianapolis) Peyton Manning in the playoffs 7 years ago and it was called back because of a penalty on Baltimore away from the play. I think this is the right rule -- it really makes you respect the rules as a team.

OSU just has too much of a tendency to put up a stinker. Their last three games this year, the MSU game last year for example. I don't know if it's Barrett. Part of me wonders if they didn't just play over their heads 2 years ago because Zeke was that good, and because Cardale was big and strong enough to bail them out when needed. I also think they'll take a bit of a hit losing guys like Malik and other defenders. Hopefully they don't need to go back to Barrett next year. I wish the best for him, but he's clearly been a liability in big games for them (though the dropped passes don't help), and don't know if he's good enough to get drafted in the NFL.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Coaching changes at Ohio State

Ohio State's lack of depth this season on the offensive line was a massive problem. Before the Clemson game, Ohio State's offensive line had been healthy the entire season. Losing Michael Jordan on the second play of the game destroyed the chemistry of an already struggling Buckeyes offensive line.

Clemson had ten tackles for a loss and three sacks against Ohio State. How does anybody think this wasn't an important difference in the game??? Ohio State admittedly was able to overcome similar problems this season against Michigan, but starting offensive guard Michael Jordan was not on the sideline in either of those games either. The offensive line problems also proved fatal against Penn State.

Clemson back in title game after blanking Ohio State in Fiesta Bowl

The issue wasn't just the caliber of offensive line play, but the inability of the offense to operate quickly after the snap.

Ohio State seems to have had poor coaching throughout its offense, given the high caliber of its player roster. Urban Meyer has moved quickly to rectify this problem, which became obvious in the current season following a disappointing 2015 campaign, with the precursor loss at home to Michigan State due to a pitiful offensive output, despite overwhelming victories against Michigan and Notre Dame to end the season.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...tt-urban-meyer

How will Kevin Wilson impact Ohio State's offense? Explosiveness and a return to pace | cleveland.com

Will Meyer's coaching changes unleash the Buckeyes offensive talent in 2017? If it does, it will demonstrate once again the importance of coordinators and assistant coaches.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Ohio State's lack of depth this season on the offensive line was a massive problem. Before the Clemson game, Ohio State's offensive line had been healthy the entire season. Losing Michael Jordan on the second play of the game destroyed the chemistry of an already struggling Buckeyes offensive line.

Clemson had ten tackles for a loss and three sacks against Ohio State. How does anybody think this wasn't an important difference in the game??? Ohio State admittedly was able to overcome similar problems this season against Michigan, but starting offensive guard Michael Jordan was not on the sideline in either of those games either. The offensive line problems also proved fatal against Penn State.

Clemson back in title game after blanking Ohio State in Fiesta Bowl

The issue wasn't just the caliber of offensive line play, but the inability of the offense to operate quickly after the snap.

Ohio State seems to have had poor coaching throughout its offense, given the high caliber of its player roster. Urban Meyer has moved quickly to rectify this problem, which became obvious in the current season following a disappointing 2015 campaign, with the precursor loss at home to Michigan State due to a pitiful offensive output, despite overwhelming victories against Michigan and Notre Dame to end the season.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...tt-urban-meyer

How will Kevin Wilson impact Ohio State's offense? Explosiveness and a return to pace | cleveland.com

Will Meyer's coaching changes unleash the Buckeyes offensive talent in 2017? If it does, it will demonstrate once again the importance of coordinators and assistant coaches.
If I had to assign blame.

These four are at the top of my list:
Playing Calling- It was predictable and plain awful for most of the year.

Route Trees- We utilized Michael Thomas last year on a lot quick hitters and he had a more expansive route tree than what we saw this year. OSU didn't have anyone on the roster this season with his Receiving ability. That still doesn't mean you deviate from route trees.

Coaching- WR 101. If your QB escapes the pocket (Barrett a lot) you break off your routes and move toward him. The replays of WR running downing the seams 60 yards away from Barrett???

Barrett's indecisiveness at times- I thought Clemson Played Barrett perfectly. Sit in zones you blitz occasionally from these zones. You mix your coverages and you spy him.

Oline play to me was good most of the year. The final 20 minutes against PSU- bad. Michigan exploited our RT. Let's account for bad play calling and QB being indecisive and I saw this unit play fairly well. 2014 playoff level. No. But the unit is not a top of list to take on blame. Putting sacks as a determining factor- very lazy analysis that folks are making.

I like the Wilson hire. I like that an experienced QB coach is coming in as well. I think OSU has a lot of options at QB- Joe Burrow looked great at the Spring game. Haskins has the tools, Martell could be the best QB in nation signing with OSU this year. I hope they open the competition.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Great example of what was wrong at Ohio State, and what will be changing, in coaching philosophy. And the Buckeyes can expect a serious infusion of talent on the offensive line in 2017.

Kevin Wilson's Reported Hiring at Ohio State Should Bring Explosion, Tempo Back to Offense | Eleven Warriors

Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Ohio State has no offensive line! That's all! Goodnight!

Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Ohio State has no offensive line! That's all! Goodnight!
Well they ran the ball well this year.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
but ohio state did beat more top teams than clemson.
lol.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:17 AM

465 posts, read 418,260 times
For people clamoring to hear Buckeye fans whine and complain. You wont hear that because there are none. There is absolutely no response to a one sided beating. One sided beating shuts the door on that. The 48 second knockout of RR is a fair analogy, because I don't OSU threw a good punch. Yes it was embarrassing and the team looked slow, weak, lousy and way over matched.

For those complaining about OSU media coverage. The Ohio State will always get the media coverage. OSU is a historical team (8 National Championships in football). Also, OSU is very competitive in other sports and we have several National Championships in other sports. To the state, Ohio has several large cities and Ohio is ranked 7th in population. Its common sense that we have a very large fan base, if not the largest. So you can shut up on this topic!

Finally, I must say to those laughing now and kicking us while we are down, The Ohio State will be back. We will lick our wounds, regroup, recharge to kick your azz next year. You got us this year. We will be back! Payback is coming!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
Hope they do the same to Alabama. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football