Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 06:43 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times

Advertisements

Every Power 5 conference should have a 9 game conference schedule and not be able to schedule any FCS teams. I believe the Big Ten, Pac 12 and Big 12 have 9 game conference schedules currently.

Anyways, Georgia has a good shot to finish the season at 12-0 heading into the SEC title game. A road trip to Auburn in a couple of weeks will be their last major threat.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:50 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Pretty good week 22-6 brings me to 141-63 on the year.

Central Michigan vs. Western Michigan. Broncos win the directional Michigan matchup.
Northern Illinois vs. Toledo. Rockets at home.
Navy vs. Temple. Got to like Navy and the option offense.
Marshall vs. Florida Atlantic. No clue about this game.
UCLA vs. Utah. Utes to bounce back at home.

I'll get the rest in later this week, but wanted to get these in first.
(8) Penn State vs. Michigan State. Huge let down for Penn State. First, the 4th quarter collapse last weekend, then getting placed behind OSU in the rankings which pretty much guarantees they'll finish behind OSU in the final rankings as even if OSU loses to Mich State, Iowa or Michigan, they have the tiebreaker which means what they lost in the loss will be negated with Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship. And even IF OSU loses to Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game, the playoff committee likely isn't taking the Lions, and don't forget the fact this is a rivalry game.
Baylor vs. Kansas. Pillow fight of the week. Baylor snaps their losing streak.
Florida vs. Missouri. My bold prediction of the year. IF Florida loses this game they will NOT be eligible for a bowl game. They'd have to beat both South Carolina and Florida State to qualify if they lose here and I definitely don't see that happening.
(18) Auburn vs. Texas A&M. I praised A&M last week for not having the annual late season swoon and guess what happens?? They get embarrassed at home! Auburn will embarrass them in College Station once again as the Sumlin seat ignites in flames.
Kansas State vs. Texas Tech. I'll take the Raiders bat home.
Syracuse vs. Florida State. Judging by the Noles inept embarrassing performance on national TV last weekend they just want their season to end.....and the orange will do just that.
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia. I don't know. Unlike K-State/Tech I'll go with the road team this time.
South Carolina vs. (2) Georgia. These games are usually close between the 2, and I think this one will be to, but the Dogs pull away late.
(6) Clemson vs. (23) NC State. I'll bite with the Wolfpack at home.
(14) Iowa State vs. West Virginia. Hey Florida, how would Will Grier look under center this year??
Northwestern vs. Nebraska. Good luck to whoever the new coach at Nebraska is!! You could start off your first season 12-0, lose in the Big 10 title game, and than lose in your BCS game and they'd want you run out of town. Exhibit A for the saying "Money ain't always greener on the other side." Alls I'm saying is if I were Mike Leach I'd rather stay in Pullman where you'll get streets named after you, he'll NEVER get fired so he can leave on his own terms, and if he continues on this pace the stadium named after you then go to Nebraska and got fired after a 12-2 season.....because you lost your last 2 games after starting 12-0.
(19) Stanford vs. (24) Washington State. ....and speaking of Leach & Wazzu. I want to pick Stanford and I believe they'll do win if Love plays, but I can't pick them on the road at the Paloose with Love questionable. Can I give myself half a win if Love plays & Stanford wins??
Ole Miss vs. Kentucky. Kentucky at home.
(10) Oklahoma vs. (9) Oklahoma State. Oklahoma for 2 reasons: 1) Pokes seem to play them better in Norman than they do in Stillwater, and at last check this was in Stillwater 2) Pokes have this game circled on their calendar since last December while OK treats it as just any other ordinary game. The Pokes are the quintessential little brother that plays big brother to a 2 point loss in basketball on the final day of summer. While little brother spends all free time working on his shots, and other moves, big brother worries about bigger & better things, and unlike little brother he only spends a couple of hours a week on the court. First day of summer comes, and little brother is confident with all the work he has put in, while big brother has done nothing, the game starts, and little brother gets squashed like usual to keep the hierarchy in place. Sure every once in a while the little brother might shock big brother (see 2014 for example), but even though Okie state looks better AND is at home, OU will show who is still king in the state. Plus being to amped up with I think the Pokes will be can lead to more dangerous plays (going for an interception and proceding to get burned for a touchdown when a simple knock down or safe tackle would suffice for example), which is another check for OU who will likely be more poised.
Colorado State vs. Wyoming. I have no idea. Go back to the home team
(17) UCF vs. SMU. Too bad USF los last week I was really looking forward to an unbeaten UCF/USF matchup.
Texas vs. (12) TCU. I agree with a poster above me, Texas will keep it close for a while. I doubt they win, but it wouldn't totally surprise me if they won outright.
Southern Miss vs. Tennessee. Does Tennessee have to get shut out before Butch gets fired??
(13) Virginia Tech vs. (7) Miami. I disagree with the couple of people above me about Miami. Sure they maybe due for a loss as it seems every game has been decided by a touchdown or less, but they are winning these close games. Remember the 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes?? I think they only had like 5 or 6 games that entire season that ended with a margin of greater than 7 points, but they finished 14-0. 2017 Miami is on that path.
(16) LSU vs. (1) Alabama. Remember when LSU/Alabama was must watch TV?? I think the Lakers/Nets NBA game on Friday night would rank higher on my "must see weekend games to watch" list.
Colorado vs. Arizona State. Devils at home I guess??
(22) Arizona vs. (15) USC. USC is overrated, Darnold is an interception machine, and Khalil Tate has completely turned around the Wildcat's prospects, but I just cannot pick the Wildcats to win on the road in the Coliseum.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
My guess is that the committee isn't the one which applies the odds, betting lines or point spreads.
that is true .. the bookies have been doing this for 40 years .. the committee has been for 4

Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
(14) Iowa State vs. West Virginia. Hey Florida, how would Will Grier look under center this year??

Old 11-04-2017, 01:14 PM

This performance by Florida could be worse than FSU's performance last week. At least BC is a quality team Mizzou is a joke!

Old 11-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Classic Big 12 game. 59 combined points so far......and we are only midway through the 2nd quarter! I think the over/under was 76, which might clear by halftime!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:11 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
good lord some shockers today .. just hope BAMA can hold court .... penn state .. ohio state .. others barely squeaking by ... great football day

Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Every Power 5 conference should have a 9 game conference schedule and not be able to schedule any FCS teams. I believe the Big Ten, Pac 12 and Big 12 have 9 game conference schedules currently.

Anyways, Georgia has a good shot to finish the season at 12-0 heading into the SEC title game. A road trip to Auburn in a couple of weeks will be their last major threat.
Im fine with the no FCS games, but I think some FCS schools fund their entire football teams off of those 800,000 to 1 million dollar pay days.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:49 PM

So let's take a quick run through the playoffs which I'll try to do every Saturday:

ACC: The winner of Miami/Va Tech is still in it, though Miami is in much better shape and they'll still have quality upcoming games: Notre Dame, and than Clemson in the ACC title game, while Va Tech would just get Clemson in the ACC title game if they win. And Clemson is still in it as well. Unless Virginia Tech beats Miami tonight and Clemson loses to South Carolina and than Va Tech loses to Clemson in the ACC title game (or Miami beats Va Tech, & loses to ND next week and beats Clemson in the ACC championship game), I believe the ACC will get 1 entrant into the playoff; the ACC title game winner between Virginia Tech/Miami/and Clemson

Big 12: Since I can't see TCU beating Oklahoma in Norman, the conference would be better off with OU winning out including a rematch with TCU or OK State in the Big 12 title game. TBD whether the conference gets a playoff team. The winner of TCU/Oklahoma regular season game will get in assuming OU holds on to beat OK State (currently up 3 just starting the 4th) and than wins the rematch in the Big 12 championship game.

Big 10: Ohio State & Penn State are both all but officially out, so the conference rests on Wisconsin, who's incredibly bad SOS may send Wiscy to the Rose bowl anyways, but I have to believe if Wisconsin wins the Big 10 championship they'd be in. Any other team (Ohio State, Michigan State) wins the big 10 championship and say goodnight to the Big 10 in the playoff.

Pac 12: Like the Big 10, the Pac 12 playoff hopes rest on 1 team: Washington. They win their remaining 4 games, and whoever comes out of the South in the Championship, and they may be in it. However, even that may not be enough as they'd likely be behind a lot of potential 1 loss teams (Virginia Tech, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and possibly even Miami & Wisconsin should those 2 suffer a loss in season).

SEC: Looking good to get both Georgia & Alabama in the playoff, though don't sleep on Auburn. Should they beat both Georgia & Alabama in the regular season (I believe they play both at home too), and than Georgia again in the SEC title game what do you do with Auburn in that case?? They'd have 2 losses, but they would have won the SEC, tied for the SEC West, and gone 3-0 against Alabama & Georgia teams ranked #1 & #2. I assume IF this scenario happens Auburn would be the SEC team in the playoff, but the million dollar question is do you take a second SEC team?? if you do, who gets the nod between the Georgia & Alabama?? They both would have won/tied for a division, lost to the same team, and have virtually identical records which Georgia getting the extra game of the conference title game. They wouldn't have played in season so head-to-head is out the window. Georgia would have had the best win of the 2, and that might be enough. If you don't take a second SEC team, which other team gets that 4th spot.

Other: Notre Dame. Their season rest on 2 games: @ Miami next weekend, @ Stanford Thanksgiving weekend. Win those 2 games and they are in the playoff no matter what happens elsewhere in the other 5 conferences. Lose 1 or both of those games and out of the playoff they go.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:55 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
good lord some shockers today .. just hope BAMA can hold court .... penn state .. ohio state .. others barely squeaking by ... great football day
The biggest surprise to me this weekend is how close the Georgia/South Carolina game was.

Bama and LSU.. Not really surprised at that.. Clemson-NC State I knew would be a tough game and I actually thought there was a fair shot Clemson would lose that game. Wake putting up 37 on ND is a bit surprising.. But.. South Carolina is quietly playing some decent ball. Mark down the 25th.. Clemson plays in Columbia this year.. That game is not a given. Carolina will be looking for payback after last years trouncing, and Clemson's got 3 wins in a row..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football