Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Alabama played at Penn State in 2011.
That's been a long time they played Penn State under the old format. All I'm saying is I wish the SEC would play more of those type of games that would make it more fun, interesting and exciting now there's the playoff system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
With more to come. Home and home vs. Texas & ND...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...61jawv9g8crkzi

Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Alabama is a nightmare scenario for the rest of college football. We all used to ask "What would happen if Alabama ever got a good QB?" Now we're seeing what that looks like and it's frightening. It took a Herculean effort by Deshaun Watson on a well-balanced Clemson team to barely pull out a win against the Tide in 2017. He arguably played better the year before that and his team still lost. And remember, the 2016-17 Tide was a team led by a true freshman (Hurts) who couldn't hit the ocean if it was more than 15 yards away.

The Tide may not be as good on D this year as they have been in very recent years, but the D hasn't slipped that much if at all, and it doesn't have to be as good as it has been in the past because the offense is so much better. The only way I could see them losing is if a team gets up 14-0 early on them in a road game. If Bama gets up 14-0 on any opponent, and the defense feels free to blitz at will, I honestly don't see any team recovering from that deficit given their firepower. They put so much pressure on opponents on both sides of the football whereas Bama teams of the past were more one-dimensional.

So can Bama be beat? Sure, anything is in the realm of possibility. I just don't see Haskins or Lawrence or Fromm/Fields dropping 500+ yards on them AND their defenses not gassing the hell out against Bama's high-powered offense. It's a tall task for sure.
Let's just wait 'til November to judge a team. It's only been a 1/3 of a season that's been played. Some teams that maybe average or above average can improve and teams that are playing great might hit a wall. I remember the Patriots were balling out of control in 2007 when they went 16-0. But, as the season went on they began to hit a wall and they played a lot of close games to close out the season especially the one against the Giants. I wanna see how Bama does against greater competition against Top 25 teams and teams in the SEC.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:44 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's been a long time they played Penn State under the old format. All I'm saying is I wish the SEC would play more of those type of games that would make it more fun, interesting and exciting now there's the playoff system.
Auburn has done a home and home with Clemson recently. Texas A&M is doing a home and home with Clemson. LSU went up to Green Bay to play Wisconsin a couple of years back. So there are some SEC teams doing these marquee home and home games. Actually, Alabama and Texas have agreed to a home and home series starting in 2022. So after an 11 year break, Alabama will finally be playing a true non-conference road game.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Why all the neutral site games?
$$$$ of course.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...ootball-week-1

Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I am 79-48 for the year.

So this week

GEORGIA TECH vs. Louisville The Rambling wreck ambles on into Loo-iss-ville to wreck the pesky red birds
Mid Tenn State vs. MARSHALL "We are MARSHALL BUM DEE DUM BUM BUM DUM DUM"
UTAH STATE vs. BYU Could be a high scoring affair

Maryland vs. (16) MICHIGAN

MISSOURI vs. South Carolina A little MISERY for S C !

(8) OKLAHOMA vs. (19) Texas.... An Oklahoma WIN would be OK !

Northwestern vs. (21) MICHIGAN STATE I hate to say it but NW may upset here

SYRACUSE vs. Pittsburgh

Tulane vs. (24) CINCINNATI The Bearcats not Bengals beat Tulane

Bahstun College vs. (18) NC STATE

(6) CLEMSON vs. Wake Forest

Kansas State vs. BAYLOR I just don't know anymore

(7) LSU vs. Florida

IOWA vs. Mee-Nuh-SOH-dah

NAVY vs. Air Force "I don;t know but I've been told, Navy Wings are made of Gold"
San Diego State vs. BOISE STATE

Arizona State vs. COLORADO

(15) KENTUCKY vs. Texas A&M Kaintuck has beaten better teams than the Gag'Me's Does anyone notice that the band still does the exact same halftime show game after game after game?

(9) AUBURN vs. Mississippi State

(4) NOTRE DAME vs. (20) Virginia Tech IF Vermont I mean VIRGINIA TECH wins this, then I picked it wrong.

Cal vs. ARIZONA
FRESNO STATE vs. Nevada
Utah vs. (17) STANFORD

Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
23-2 this past week if I did the calculations right losing only the Army/Buffalo, and LA Tech/North Texas games. 91-37 on the year. Which is really weird because much like the NFL pick em this is about the least amount I've watched to begin the season, yet it's probably my best record. Maybe that means I shouldn't be watching anything then??

Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Last week: 23-2
Overall: 91-37

Georgia Tech vs. Louisville. Ugh! Neither team looks that impressive, but Louisville is bad.
Mid Tenn State vs. Marshall. I'll take Marshall at home.
Utah State vs. BYU. BYU for the Beehive Boot.
Maryland vs. (16) Michigan. Michigan shouldn't have a problem in this one.
Missouri vs. South Carolina. This Mizzou team is underrated I think they win in Columbia.
(8) Oklahoma vs. (19) Texas. Much like the UK/Florida series, this has been such a 1-sided "rivalry" for the past 20 years that until the losing side starts to win a few times in a row you always go with the team that's been dominating in recent years. It's going to change at some point, but until it does, stick with the Sooners.
Northwestern vs. (21) Michigan State. Fitzgerald will keep the Wildcats close in this game, but MSU pulls away late.
Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh. Cuse on the road, Pitt ain't good.
Tulane vs. (24) Cincinnati. Nice win for the Wave last week, but duplicate that again on the road this week.
Boston College vs. (18) NC State. Wolfpack keep pace with Clemson.
(6) Clemson vs. Wake Forest. Wake Forest could keep it close, but Clemson wins late.
Kansas State vs. Baylor. I'll take Baylor at home.
(7) LSU vs. Florida. Florida riding high coming off back-to-back road wins at Tennessee & Mississippi State will get the Tigers at the Swamp. PS, why does it seem like this game ALWAYS takes place in Florida?? I know 1 year it was scheduled in LSU, got postponed and moved to Florida later in the year, but seems like they've played in Gainesville for the last 5 years.
Iowa vs. Minnesota. I think it's a "rivalry" game, but I'll take Iowa, they seem like a better team.
Navy vs. Air Force. Just a guess, but I'll take Air Force at home.
San Diego State vs. Boise State. Boise on the smurf turf.
Arizona State vs. Colorado. It was fun while it lasted Herm, wasn't it??
(15) Kentucky vs. Texas A&M. Figured, this or the Missouri game was the 1 game Kentucky could lose and still win the East with a win over Georgia, and I think the Aggies get em in College Station.
(9) Auburn vs. Mississippi State. Auburn as I don't think Miss State is going to be able to score enough to win.
(4) Notre Dame vs. (20) Virginia Tech. The classic pick em game where you pick the team you like least, so ND it is! If ND wins, sucks because it probably means they are going to the playoffs, as this is one of their last tough games remaining, but at least I get the win. I will gladly take the loss to see ND lose.
Cal vs. Arizona. Cal's schedule is about to pick up with conference games from here on out, are they ready??
Fresno State vs. Nevada. Toss up game where I'll pick the home team.
Utah vs. (17) Stanford. Utah is not very good at the moment, don't think Stanford as much trouble on the Farm.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Did not do well on picks this week...11-12. Anyway, here's my Top 25.

#1: Alabama (6-0)
#2: Ohio State (6-0)
#3: Georgia (6-0)
#4: Notre Dame (6-0)
#5: Clemson (6-0) +1
#6: West Virginia (5-0) -1
#7: UCF (5-0) +4
#8: Washington (5-1) +2
#9: Texas (5-1) +10
#10: Wisconsin (4-1) +2
#11: Miami (5-1) +2
#12: Penn State (4-1) +2
#13: Oklahoma (5-1) -6
#14: LSU (5-1) -7
#15: Michigan (5-1) +1
#16: Florida (5-1) NEW
#17: NC State (5-0) +1
#18: USF (5-0) +5
#19: Kentucky (5-1) -4
#20: Oregon (4-1) +2
#21: Cincinnati (6-0) +3
#22: Auburn (4-2) -13
#23: Colorado (5-0) NEW
#24: Troy (5-1) NEW
#25: San Diego State (4-1) NEW

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

North Texas (5-1)
Appalachian State (3-1)
Hawaii (6-1)
Texas A&M (4-2)
Mississippi State (4-2)
Fresno State (4-1)
Duke (4-1)
Washington State (5-1)
Iowa (4-1)

Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 PM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
I'm sort of glad Oklahoma alas lost; seems for too long they have gotten away with being one-dimensional- as in, non-existent defense. Alabama is in a world of its own. Georgia is a solid #2. After that, its wait and see with what develops. None of these other playoff contenders have been consistent, even if they are unbeaten (Ohio State, Clemson, and Notre Dame in particular). Is Cincinnati really one of the 25 best teams? Hard for me to believe given their sorry schedule to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football