Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2018, 12:02 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,465,729 times

Advertisements

Last week: 17-8
Overall: 195-102

Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss. Ole Miss playing for a bowl game, but I think the Bulldogs take them out.
Houston vs. Memphis. Despite losing to Navy & Tulane this year, a Memphis wins gets them to the AAC championship game with another shot at undefeated UCF. Remember the last time they played last month they were leading the Knights at the half by 2+ touchdowns before the Knights rallied to come back and win in the second half.
Nebraska vs. Iowa. Nebraska ended the season really strong which bodes well for Scott Frost in 2019 while Iowa for me is just meh. I'll take Nebraska in the road upset.
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech. In 1 of the many themes of this week we have a bunch of teams with long losing streaks against their opponents that they are clearly better then this year. I've been burned here before but give me the Hokies to continue their winning ways against the Cavaliers....last Cavaliers win in this series was in 2003 (November of my junior year of high school.....I graduated in 2005), and haven't lost in Blacksburg to them since 1998! However this Tech team sucks, so if VA doesn't beat them this year, when will they ever again??
(5) UCF vs. USF. I was hoping we could have another undefeated vs. undefeated matchup, but unfortunately USF fell off a cliff.
(7) Oklahoma vs. (12) West Virginia. Both teams defenses suck, both teams offenses are great, both QB's are fantastic! First team to punt loses?? This could be a case where the team with the ball last wins, or the team that gets more offensive possessions wins, so I'm just going to hope OK either has the ball last or is able to gain an extra possession or 2 over the 'Eers (maybe a score at the end of the first half get ball to start second half kinda deal).
(16) Washington vs. (8) Washington State. Another game where the Cougs are probably better and are playing at home which is an advantage that they have over the Cavs in Blacksburg, but since the Huskies 0-12 season in 2008 they carry an 8-1 record against the Cougs in the 9 games since then, and the last 3 games have seen Washington win by an average of 30 points. Even at home with the raucous crowd they'll have, that's just too big of a number for me. Plus, with how disappointing the Huskies season has been they still have a pretty good chance for a Rose Bowl bid. It's not a playoff or championship, but it's not a bad consolation prize that is still on the table for them to achieve.
Baylor vs. Texas Tech. These teams are so even, even overall records, even conference records, about the same points allowed per game, and yards allowed per game, even field, with the game taking place at Jerry's World. Only difference is Tech averages about 10 more points per game than Baylor does (38.5 vs. 27.5) so I'll take Tech.
(20) Florida vs. Florida State. Gators 1-6 in the last 7 years against the Seminoles, and in this same situation last year in Gainesville (Seminoles at 4-6 [they had a makeup game to play if they were to win]) the Seminoles won by 16. Like SouthernTiger I'll go against the numbers this time but I'm not overly confident. Noles with a good win over a pretty good BC team last weekend to put themselves in this position for a second straight year to keep the bowl streak alive, while the Gators had cupcake Idaho come in to smooth things out that looked shaky in blowout losses to Georgia, Missouri and a close victory against South Carolina. Reason I'm picking Florida this year was last year Florida had that identical 4-6 record going in, so even if they won, and than also made up that game that was postponed because of hurricane Maria they were going to get a crappy bowl anyways like the Noles ended up getting. Sitting at 8-3, they are in prime real estate position for a pretty good bowl game in the SEC pecking order.
Georgia Tech vs. (6) Georgia. Dawgs are 14-4 in the last 18 meetings against the Jackets, but surprisingly all 4 losses are in Athens. They haven't lost in Atlanta since 1999 when the Jackets were in the middle of winning 3 straight.
Marshall vs. FIU. Not sure who has the tiebreaker between FIU and Mid Tenn State, but FIU keep their division hopes alive.
(4) Michigan vs. (9) Ohio State. Ohio State has won 6 straight and 15 of the last 17. This has been the Harbaugh revenge tour this year; last year they lost to Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State & Ohio State, played all teams again this year, and so far have won the Wisconsin, Michigan State & Penn State games convincingly. This Ohio State team gives up points and yards like they are going out of style, and even with a win here I still think it would be difficult for them to get into the playoff but I'm really hoping Michigan beats them to end that. Personally, I believe Notre Dame would have a better playoff showing than Ohio State would and Notre Dame is going to get killed. Just like I said in Virginia/Virginia Tech this Buckeyes defense is so bad that if Michigan doesn't beat them this year, when exactly are they going to get a win in this series??
Purdue vs. Indiana. Last year's win by the Boilers ended a 4 year Hoosiers winning streak. I've been disappointed with Purdue this year I thought they'd be a lot better but I'll give the edge to Purdue to get to the bowl.
(21) Syracuse vs. Boston College. Syracuse QB getting injured last week, I'll give the edge to the Eagles at home in the old Big East matchup.
Wake Forest vs. Duke. I'll take Duke at home.
(25) Troy vs. Appalachian State. They are at home, and only Fresno State, Alabama, UAB & Clemson have allowed fewer points in conference games than Appalachian State's 98. Defense wins championships, and App's defense will get them to the Sun Belt championship game.
Stanford vs. UCLA. Stanford's been a disappointment this year but they have won the last 10 straight against UCLA. And even when Chip was at Oregon, it seemed like Stanford was the only team that was able to slow them down.
Arizona State vs. Arizona. In Tucson, I think the Wildcats get the 6th win and bowl eligibility, they've come around as the season has worn on.
Maryland vs. (19) Penn State. Penn State isn't a good team, and Franklin is a terrible coach for that team, but I think they'll edge past the Terps. And SouthernTiger is right Terps are playing pretty good so I think this comes down to the final couples minutes.
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. Speaking of long skids....the Gophers haven't won Paul Bunyan's axe since 2003 when they hit a game-winning field goal as time expired and the kicker went running around the Metrodome with the axe. The Badgers have won 20 of the last 22, and haven't lost in Madison since 1994!! Wisconsin hasn't been very good this year but neither has Minnesota, so let's continue that streak for another year.
Pittsburgh vs. Miami. Last year the Panthers ended Miami's unbeaten season, not a lot riding on this one this year.
Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt. Another elimination match here. Surprisingly, the Dores have won 4 of the last 6, but I look for Tennessee to win in Nashville.
Colorado vs. Cal. Remember when the Buffs were 5-0 and ranked in the top 20?? Yah me neither. That team is a mess.
Kansas State vs. Iowa State. Cyclones have lost 10 straight and 22 of the last 29. They are at home AND the better team, so if they don't win this they should petition the Big 12 next year to replace the Kansas State game with a second game against Kansas.
(11) LSU vs. Texas A&M. The Aggies haven't won this game since they joined the SEC in 2012, and have lost 33 of 55 games between the 2 all time. I guess the first time is as good of a time for anything.
(2) Notre Dame vs. USC. The only thing standing between Notre Dame and an undefeated season with a playoff bid. 2 things are concerning though: 1) USC, even though they are terrible are playing for bowl eligibility, so not only would they probably eliminate the Irish from the playoff, but they would get to a bowl game themselves and 2) This USC team was also the only team to defeat Washington State this year and that was on the same field. With that said, I'll still roll with the Irish albeit in a close game.
BYU vs. (17) Utah. One of the more underrated rivalries in the country. Everyone brings up Ohio State Michigan, Iron Bowl, Georgia Auburn, but nobody mentions the Holy War in that same breath. And aside from a few occasions these games are usually ALWAYS close, and must watch TV. Case in point: 17 of the last 20 games between the 2 have been decided by 7 points or less!
(10) Utah State vs. (13) Boise State. Winner will stay in the race with Fresno State for a chance to get that New Year's Six bowl should UCF stumble against USF this weekend or Houston/Memphis next weekend. I'll take Boise at home.
Hawaii vs. San Diego State. Tough end of the season for Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Unless Tua isn't healthy, I don't see anyone coming close to challenging Alabama this year...even Clemson is looking at getting torched if Tua is healthy...anyone feel the same way?

Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Unless Tua isn't healthy, I don't see anyone coming close to challenging Alabama this year...even Clemson is looking at getting torched if Tua is healthy...anyone feel the same way?

I'd point to LSU and Mississippi State.. Those two games, Tua was harassed a bit by the pass rush.. And he came back to earth. Clemson has a far better pass rush than either of those teams. You can bet Venables has noticed that.

Tua seems to be very Cam Newton like.. You get to him, you hit him, you harass him.. You might be able to get him to come unglued.

I'm not saying Clemson would win. I think it'd be a very different game than most people are expecting, however.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd point to LSU and Mississippi State.. Those two games, Tua was harassed a bit by the pass rush.. And he came back to earth. Clemson has a far better pass rush than either of those teams. You can bet Venables has noticed that.

Tua seems to be very Cam Newton like.. You get to him, you hit him, you harass him.. You might be able to get him to come unglued.

I'm not saying Clemson would win. I think it'd be a very different game than most people are expecting, however.
That's really true of about any QB if you can pressure him, he's going to make some mistakes.Tua's a much better passer than Cam and not as good of a runner though still good enough to cause problems.

Hard to see if Clemson is going to be that level of good since they haven't played a brutal SEC schedule, I was under the impression this was a slight drop off from the last few years but they certainly have been getting better as the year has progressed. I would love to see Clemson beat Bama or at least make it a good game, I'm just not sure they can do that this year IF Tua is healthy.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:26 PM

Poor Virginia At this point I wonder if it's going to be 2085 before they win the Commonwealth Cup again. Played about as bad of a first half as you can get, got a turnover right at the end of the half, but they needed about 3 or 4 more seconds to get a field goal attempt. Then in the second half went up 7 with about 4 minutes to play and let that atrocious Virginia Tech offense march down the field for the tying score, Hokies got the ball first in overtime, got a field goal, and than UVA had either a turnover or downs to lose.

And 2 possessions, 2 touchdowns in Oklahoma/West Virginia. I think this is going to break the Rams/Chiefs point total from Monday night, neither of these defenses can stop a nosebleed!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 PM

35-28 Oklahoma at the half. Oklahoma's only "stall" on offense was a Murray fumble in West Virginia territory, WVU hasn't shown they can stop them. OK gets the ball to start the second half, we'll see if they make any adjustments. Sooners haven't been much better but at least they have forced a couple punts, and had a forced fumble returned for a TD which is the difference in this game so far.

Over in Pullman it's 14-0 Huskies in a driving snowstorm which definitely favors the Huskies who can actually run the ball effectively and doesn't rely solely on the passing attack. Cougs have been a second half team, so I think this is far from over.

Edit: I hope this is the first time this year Minshew is playing in weather elements because he doesn't look good at all. Has 2 interceptions I believe, probably lucky to not have 1 or 2 more, fumbled inside the U Dub 10 yard line. Yet the Cougs are right in this thing, but they are Coug'ing it.
West Virginia/Oklahoma game is embarrassing! Play. Some. Defense!!!!!!!!!! We're going to penalize, supposedly, Ohio State & UCF for not playing defense, but yet this Oklahoma team is probably the worst defensive unit I have ever seen, yet we are going to rank them 6th??
Speaking UCF, terrible news for McKenzie Milton officially out for the year with an MCL/ACL injury. Sucks for the Knights, but whoever wins the Utah State/Boise State game I think jumps out to the front of the pack for a New Years 6 bowl.

Last edited by 7express; 11-23-2018 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 10:10 PM

Texas/Oklahoma part 2 next weekend!
Washington wins the Apple Cup again, and should definitely be the favorite over Utah to get to the Rose Bowl.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
People said the exact kind of thing prior to the two Clemson-Alabama games when Clemson had Watson.

Clemson would be the first good pass offense that Alabama has seen all year and a much better defense than what it has seen.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:48 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
35-28 Oklahoma at the half. Oklahoma's only "stall" on offense was a Murray fumble in West Virginia territory, WVU hasn't shown they can stop them. OK gets the ball to start the second half, we'll see if they make any adjustments. Sooners haven't been much better but at least they have forced a couple punts, and had a forced fumble returned for a TD which is the difference in this game so far.

Over in Pullman it's 14-0 Huskies in a driving snowstorm which definitely favors the Huskies who can actually run the ball effectively and doesn't rely solely on the passing attack. Cougs have been a second half team, so I think this is far from over.

Edit: I hope this is the first time this year Minshew is playing in weather elements because he doesn't look good at all. Has 2 interceptions I believe, probably lucky to not have 1 or 2 more, fumbled inside the U Dub 10 yard line. Yet the Cougs are right in this thing, but they are Coug'ing it.
West Virginia/Oklahoma game is embarrassing! Play. Some. Defense!!!!!!!!!! We're going to penalize, supposedly, Ohio State & UCF for not playing defense, but yet this Oklahoma team is probably the worst defensive unit I have ever seen, yet we are going to rank them 6th??
Speaking UCF, terrible news for McKenzie Milton officially out for the year with an MCL/ACL injury. Sucks for the Knights, but whoever wins the Utah State/Boise State game I think jumps out to the front of the pack for a New Years 6 bowl.
I wouldn't be so sure. If UCF beats Memphis next week, they'll be 12-0 and the fact that they're undefeated will give them the edge over either Utah State or Boise State for a New Year's Six game. If Boise State wins, they'd both have 2 loses.

With Washington State's loss, that all but eliminates the Pac 12 from the playoffs for a second straight year. Really we're heading towards the second straight year where 2 Power 5 conference are left out of the playoff.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:55 AM

939 posts, read 505,594 times
Looks like we're down to five realistic contenders for the playoff. Barring a lot of unforeseen results, hard to see Central Florida, as well as Oklahoma getting in. Central Florida beats Memphis, its a no-brainer, they'll be in one of those New Year's games however. Boise State isn't close to Central Florida's caliber this season. If Utah State wins and Central Florida loses, and the committee does what it has in the past in the NCAA Tournament selections by factoring injuries going forward, ok perhaps Utah State would get a look over C. Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football