Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times

Advertisements

Useful as a condensed guide of what to watch for minor bowls (click on "First 20 Bowls" at the top of the article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-yard-...091301761.html

Most interesting observation in the column: <<Dash pick: Alabama 60, Oklahoma 35. What guarantee is there that the Crimson Tide doesn’t score every possession? >>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Well, OU has no defense - as they demonstrated when they allowed Texas to score 45 points in three quarters, then gave up the winning fg as time ran out.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:28 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
These bowls are becoming more meaningless by the year. I remember UConn's first or second year playing an FBS schedule somewhere in the early part of the millennium around 2002 (back then known as Division 1-A) even though they finished the season 9-3 with a win over Iowa State and a 1 possession loss to an NC State team that was quarterbacked by a future Hall of famer named Philip Rivers they couldn't even sniff a bowl game because they were an independent and there were only about 15 bowl games so only the best of the best made it, and unless someone was legitimately injured, EVERYONE (or at least the starters) played. Now with the playoff, even these marquee, New Years Bowl games, you have stars sitting out left and right. This whole bowl system needs a complete reboot, but not sure how that is possible.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Tulane vs. UL Lafayette. 2 Louisiana teams NOT playing in New Orleans.
North Texas vs. (13) Utah State. North Texas started like a house a fire, but then came crashing back to the pack, sad to see.
(9) Fresno State vs. Arizona State. Good first season for Herm in the desert, but I see the Bulldogs rolling in this one.
Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern. Nice to see EMU in a bowl.
(24) Appalachian State vs. Mid Tenn State. I'll take the Mountaineers over the Raiders.
And for a bonus pick I will pick Valdosta State over Ferris State in the D2 Championship game.
Northern Illinois vs. UAB. I went back and forth with this pick as both teams had late wins in their respective conference championship. I think the Huskies win late.
Ohio vs. San Diego State. I'll take the Aztecs here.
USF vs. Marshall. USF has fallen and they can't get up.
FIU vs. Toledo. This is Toledo's worst year in like 10 years, but I think they end it with a win.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Tulane vs. UL Lafayette. 2 Louisiana teams NOT playing in New Orleans.
North Texas vs. (13) Utah State. North Texas started like a house a fire, but then came crashing back to the pack, sad to see.
(9) Fresno State vs. Arizona State. Good first season for Herm in the desert, but I see the Bulldogs rolling in this one.
Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern. Nice to see EMU in a bowl.
(24) Appalachian State vs. Mid Tenn State. I'll take the Mountaineers over the Raiders.
And for a bonus pick I will pick Valdosta State over Ferris State in the D2 Championship game.
Quote:
Northern Illinois vs. UAB. I went back and forth with this pick as both teams had late wins in their respective conference championship. I think the Huskies win late.
Ohio vs. San Diego State. I'll take the Aztecs here.
USF vs. Marshall. USF has fallen and they can't get up.
FIU vs. Toledo. This is Toledo's worst year in like 10 years, but I think they end it with a win.
Western Michigan vs. BYU. I'll take the Broncos
Memphis vs. Wake Forest. Memphis had a tough second half against UCF, but I look for them to bounce back in the bowl game.
Houston vs. (22) Army. Minus Ed Oliver, Army is going to run the ball, run the ball some more, and run the ball even more. With Army controlling the clock, Houston won't be able to keep up in the second half.
Buffalo vs. Troy. I'll take Buffalo in a close one.
Hawaii vs. Louisiana Tech. I'll take Hawaii at home.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times
Quote:
These bowls are becoming more meaningless by the year. I remember UConn's first or second year playing an FBS schedule somewhere in the early part of the millennium around 2002 (back then known as Division 1-A) even though they finished the season 9-3 with a win over Iowa State and a 1 possession loss to an NC State team that was quarterbacked by a future Hall of famer named Philip Rivers they couldn't even sniff a bowl game because they were an independent and there were only about 15 bowl games so only the best of the best made it, and unless someone was legitimately injured, EVERYONE (or at least the starters) played. Now with the playoff, even these marquee, New Years Bowl games, you have stars sitting out left and right. This whole bowl system needs a complete reboot, but not sure how that is possible.
Television time on main channels. That IMO is the main reason a lot of teams have been ditching the FCS for the FBS. The FCS gets very little coverage on the main ESPN channel, for instance. I remember people talking about that when my school switched to FBS in 2014. Nearly ever bowl game is getting TV time on the main ESPN channel, even the smaller G5 ones.

Also money. Lots of companies wanting to get that advert revenue in, which is why we've seen a huge increase in the number of bowl games. Any team with 6 or more wins now has a chance of showing themselves off on big national TV.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:48 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Looks like the Houston Coogs got run over by a battalion of M1A1 Abrams tanks! Lol

Yeah, the swarms of pissant bowl games hosting 6-6 & 7-5 teams are annoying, but some of them can be entertaining.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
All that I have to say after watching NFL games today/tonight is, thank god for colleg football. I can't take another roughing the passer, phantom pass interference or litany of flags thrown.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Here's part 2 of bowl picks. Sorry for lateness, been spending time with family.

(12) Boise State vs. Boston College
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota
Cal vs. TCU
Duke vs. Temple
Miami vs. Wisconsin
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt
Auburn vs. Purdue
(20) Syracuse vs. (14) West Virginia
Iowa State vs. (11) Washington State
(19) Florida vs. (7) Michigan
South Carolina vs. Virginia
Arkansas State vs. Nevada
(3) Clemson vs. (2) Notre Dame
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Oklahoma

Pick Overall Record: 222-135
Pick Record Last Time: 11-3

Here are my picks.
(12) Boise State vs. Boston College (Eagles fell into a little rough skid at the end of the year, and plus, i believe their QB taken out, if i'm not wrong? Maybe i am, but don't worry about Addazio. Idiots extended his contract. Had one of the conference's more talented rosters, and...7-5?)
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota
Cal vs. TCU (Well, this wasn't a good year for TCU...and i'm afraid it's going to be capped off with their third losing season in six.)
Duke vs. Temple (Took a guess here.)
Miami vs. Wisconsin (Both were huge disappointments, but i'll give the edge to Wisconsin.)
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt (As impressed as i am with Vanderbilt getting into a bowl, i don't feel they'll cap it off with a win against a decent Baylor team that is much improved from last year.)
Auburn vs. Purdue (Didn't know here.)
(20) Syracuse vs. (14) West Virginia (If it weren't for Grier choosing stay out, i'd definitely be picking the Mountaineers here.)
Iowa State vs. (11) Washington State (Even with the loss to Washington a month ago, i think the Cougars can get it done here. Expect a fun matchup.)
(19) Florida vs. (7) Michigan (Florida has beaten every Big Ten opponent in bowl matchups not named Michigan, and Michigan has lost to every SEC opponent in bowl matchups not named Florida. I don't think that changes this time.)
South Carolina vs. Virginia (I was going to pick the Gamecocks until Deebo Samuel said he wouldn't play. Now, i don't know. This is a guess.)
Arkansas State vs. Nevada
(3) Clemson vs. (2) Notre Dame (I don't know why, but i feel like Clemson's about to find out how much having a ****-poor conference overall can hurt.)
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Oklahoma (Saban's only beaten a Heisman winner QB once. Those Heisman winners he's lost to, however, were on teams that actually played defense. And their opponent...plays very little. A healthy enough Tua, and...we might actually see Alabama hang 70 on someone in the Saban era.)

Old 12-26-2018, 01:54 AM

(12) Boise State vs. Boston College. The 2 running backs are going to be the best players on the field for either team, but I trust Boise more than I trust the Beagles.
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota. In the NY Post bowl preview, they said something like in 2 games against option-type running QB teams the Gophers gave up over 800 combined yards. Yikes! Tech will run over, through, and around the Gophers.
Cal vs. TCU. TCU had a great first 3 weeks, cratered the next 7 weeks, and had a good final 4 weeks to rebound and get themselves to 6-6. The Bears actually have a better record but their schedule is soft. Best win is probably what, Washington, in a game they won scoring 12 points??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football