Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Alabama's "fanbase" has a sense of entitlement I don't think has ever been equaled in college football. They were sort of an irrelevant program throughout most of the 80s, 90s and 00s, which was dominated by the Florida teams and the Big Red Machine. But those fanbases did not come close to the level of obnoxiousness displayed by Bama fans, and that's really saying something.

I'll add that Clemson is a relatively easy team for the rest of America to get behind because they have a goofy, fun-loving coach and they've yet to establish a legion of insufferable fans who pollute message boards across the internet. They didn't even have a team thread on this subforum until the evening of the championship game. I've met about 2 Clemson fans in the flesh since 2015, but they seem to be pretty level-headed about the success of their program unlike the "ROW TIIIIIE" crowd.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-10-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
I don't think any Clemson fan has ever said there is no chance Dabo might go to Alabama if offered the job.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Labonte18, just food for thought: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...season#slide10

Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Some of the rankings don't make any sense. Texas beat Georgia. How do they end up ranked lower?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Alabama's "fanbase" has a sense of entitlement I don't think has ever been equaled in college football. They were sort of an irrelevant program throughout most of the 80s, 90s and 00s, which was dominated by the Florida teams and the Big Red Machine. But those fanbases did not come close to the level of obnoxiousness displayed by Bama fans, and that's really saying something.

I'll add that Clemson is a relatively easy team for the rest of America to get behind because they have a goofy, fun-loving coach and they've yet to establish a legion of insufferable fans who pollute message boards across the internet. They didn't even have a team thread on this subforum until the evening of the championship game. I've met about 2 Clemson fans in the flesh since 2015, but they seem to be pretty level-headed about the success of their program unlike the "ROW TIIIIIE" crowd.
Clemson is about as close to a Rudy type story as there can be in college football.

Alabama has twice as much money and 25 or so other programs have more money.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Clemson is about as close to a Rudy type story as there can be in college football.

Alabama has twice as much money and 25 or so other programs have more money.
I will say that their locker room looks a lot of fun. College sports has a way of draining all of the fun out of the game (as a player), so it's refreshing to see a locker room that looks more like a HS locker room than the typical NFL locker room. It's not much different from having a good work culture, honestly. Would you rather have a boss who cheers you on and encourages you to "get back out there" after a mistake or a boss who holds every little mistake over your head and constantly lets you know there's someone else out there willing to take your job? A lot of college sports programs are like the latter.

Last year, Clemson had 4 guys who deferred the draft to play out their senior year. I doubt we'll ever see that at Alabama. Bama is only a means to an end.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Some of the rankings don't make any sense. Texas beat Georgia. How do they end up ranked lower?
Huh? It's conference rankings.

But I'd guess it's a body of work thing. Especially the Maryland loss for Texas. It's hard to get past that stinker.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Huh? It's conference rankings.

But I'd guess it's a body of work thing. Especially the Maryland loss for Texas. It's hard to get past that stinker.
And the conference rankings are based on the polls. But the polls to some extent are non-sensical. It makes no sense for Georgia to be ranked higher than a team that beat them in a bowl game.

The best barometer for relative conference strength, IMO, are the on-field head-to-head results between conferences. A ranking is merely an opinion. An actual game with a real result is not.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
And the conference rankings are based on the polls. But the polls to some extent are non-sensical. It makes no sense for Georgia to be ranked higher than a team that beat them in a bowl game.

The best barometer for relative conference strength, IMO, are the on-field head-to-head results between conferences. A ranking is merely an opinion. An actual game with a real result is not.
Well, you're just going to have to get over that. College football isn't changing it's metrics for anyone.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Well, you're just going to have to get over that. College football isn't changing it's metrics for anyone.
I never said they had to discard polling. I'm saying that it doesn't always make sense to point to polling to say which conference is stronger since polling is mostly arbitrary. We're basically talking about press writers making guesses about which teams are the best. In bowl games, we get to put those assumptions to the test. I will take a real-world result over a guess any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football