Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times

Advertisements

Props to Florida State for agreeing to a home-and-home with Boise State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,055 times
All right, here's the picks for Week 2.

Ohio vs. Pittsburgh
Army vs. (6) Michigan
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State
Syracuse vs. Maryland
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue
West Virginia vs. Missouri
USF vs. Georgia Tech
Nebraska vs. Colorado
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson
San Diego State vs. UCLA
BYU vs. Tennessee
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss
(24) North Texas vs. SMU
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas
Miami vs. North Carolina
Tulsa vs. San Jose State
Arkansas State vs. UNLV
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State
(20) Stanford vs. USC
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona
Oregon State vs. Hawaii

Pick Overall Record: 14-11
Pick Record Last Week: 13-8

Here are my picks.
Ohio vs. Pittsburgh (Pitt has just seemed to be stuck in the middle under Pat Narduzzi the last three years...i expect this is a game they'll win, though.)
Army vs. (6) Michigan (Question: Did Army only plan for Michigan in their first two weeks, and plan very little for Rice? Maybe. Regardless, i can't pick Army to pull off the upset here.)
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State (This is the 12:00 game of the day to me, as many including me have this game on upset watch. I expect a good game, as Cincinnati, even with the UCLA game, is better than i think plenty feel about them. But this tends to be the type of matchup where even if Ohio State plays poorly, they usually find a way to pull it out in the end...)
Syracuse vs. Maryland (Yes, Maryland put up 79 points, but it's Howard. Maybe they'll do decent in the MEAC this year unlike the last, but that was an expected win for Maryland. Syracuse's defense looks great, though, and there is potential for an upset here with some of the offense struggles the Orange had against Liberty, but i'll take them on the road.)
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue (Tough call, but i'll take Purdue to bounce back from their opening week loss. Is Brohm really that good, or has it become that tough to win at Purdue?)
West Virginia vs. Missouri (Not a good opener for Mizzou. Although i'll still take them in their home opener. If they lose this as well, then i don't know what to think of them.)
USF vs. Georgia Tech (I'm low on Georgia Tech, but USF is likely in for a bad year...)
Nebraska vs. Colorado (I was very unimpressed with how Nebraska looked opening week. This became tougher to pick than expected, although i'm still going with the Cornhuskers.)
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson (I know there are some that have this as a potential upset. Not entirely out of the question, but i don't see it. Controversial opinion: A&M has a better chance at beating Alabama than they do Clemson. And i think if Clemson trips up somewhere down the road, it's more likely to be an unexpected one; à la Pitt 2016, Syracuse 2017, than it would be an expected one.)
San Diego State vs. UCLA (I swear, if the Bruins don't win a non-con game this year...)
BYU vs. Tennessee (Call me nuts, but i don't really feel like Tennessee is that bad just yet. Plus, i'm not that impressed with Sitake as a head coach, either. My opinion of the Vols might change after Saturday, though.)
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas (A rather underrated matchup, and i'll take the Jayhawks at home by a field goal.)
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss (This is a guessing contest - I legitimately have no idea who the hell will win this one.)
(24) North Texas vs. SMU (Fine vs. Buechele is going to be a very underrated battle to watch this week. North Texas' defense needs to improve, but i'm still pretty high on them this season, so i'll take them to win on the road.)
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas (Huge game, especially for recruiting purposes, and playoff hopes for both. Gimme my Horns, though! A big game in which i don't go against them...To quote Bubsy, what could possibly go wrong? LSU's offense is actually scaring people for once, but i have a good feeling about this game. And it could potentially become a shootout.)
Miami vs. North Carolina (Congrats to Mack Brown on winning his debut. This game certainly got a bit more interesting. I'm going to take Manny Diaz getting his first career win as a head coach, though.)
Tulsa vs. San Jose State (Pillow fight? And i'm actually taking San Jose State here.)
Arkansas State vs. UNLV (I took a guess. I have more faith in Blake Anderson than i do Tony Sanchez and crew.)
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State (I'll take Fresno to bounce back from last week. Thought for sure they'd upend USC...oh, well.)
(20) Stanford vs. USC (I was very confident going into the year that Stanford would beat USC, but with both KJ and JT out, this game has become a big unknown to me...still rolling with the trees, though.)
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona (I put this here because i've noticed some people are thinking this will be a more interesting game than expected, particularly because of Arizona's D, and because i'm hearing Case Cookus is the real deal. I'll give Arizona the benefit of the doubt, but if they lose, Marcel Yates should be gone, and if not, throw Sumlin out.)
Oregon State vs. Hawaii (Tough call, as Oregon State did play better than i expected. Could be that, or Oklahoma State's D is trash. It's difficult to take the Beavers in a game that isn't against an FCS team though.)

Old 09-04-2019, 12:31 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Ohio vs. PITTSBURGH I have the Steelers picked to win this Sunday If the Pirates beat the Cardinals we can see a Steel City Trifecta

Army vs. (6) MICHIGAN Army beat the worst team in NCAA last week, so this week they play a top ten team Don;t see the Army tanks marching

through Michigan

(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) OHIO STATE tends to be good at home early on

Syracuse vs. MARYLAND I admire the Syracuse coach, going in to the booth and coaching from a hospital bed. This Cat had hernia surgery yesterday, and I have already been told that NO I cannot go take tickets at the local high school game like I usually do. I usually take and sell parking passes before the game. I am thinking about getting a wheelchair and having them wheel me in just to make a point. Point is, I feel good, I want to go do something but the VET said no.

Vanderbilt vs. PURDUE This has the makings of a bottom ten crummy game of the week, if it weren't for the existence of C-USA and the MAC All Joking aside, Purdon't is bottom ten material, while Vandy forgot to set up an offense

WEST VIRGINIA vs. Missouri I watched the game against Wyoming last week. MIZZ came close but no Cigar. I think WV is better and will eke this one out.

USF vs. Georgia Tech Both teams are coming off a post week blowout Home field advantage perhaps?

Nebraska vs. COLORADO I see Nebraska is favored, but Colorado is at home

(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) CLEMSON the GAGG'Mes usually don't play a tough opponent until Alabama or the Ginger Sewing bowl.....this is unusual for them

San Diego State vs. UCLA Hard to pick this one this early.

BYU vs. Tennessee B Y Who?

Coastal Carolina vs. KANSAS

Arkansas vs. OLE MISS The Rebels can get back with a win in the crummy game of the week

(24) NORTH TEXAS vs. SMU The Alma Mater will March into Gerald Ford Stadium and dominate the Mustangs in front of 4023 fans

(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas A lot of people say both teams are over-rated. We will see what happens when the Tigers Geaux to Austin

MIAMI vs. North Carolina

TULSA
vs. San Jose State The Hurricanes will make Dorain Proud !

Arkansas State vs. UNLV Never Gamble on my picks BTW

MEEN uh SOW duh vs Fresno State Win on the road for the giant gophers

STAN FORD vs. USC Stan Ford is better than a few people in Rhode Island think or care

Northern Arizona vs. ARIZONA it would be a shame for the Wildcats to lose this one. A dirty Old Shame .

Oregon State vs. HAWAII I just hope both teams have fun

Last week I went 7-8 I missed the early games. Thanks southern tiger for making this list I love College Football even if I am the worst picker on here.

RANKINGS
1 Southern Tiger 14-11
2 Large King cat 7-8
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SouthernTiger again.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Week Two

Ohio vs. Pittsburgh // Eat $#*% Pitt
Army vs. (6) Michigan // I usually don't pick against the service academies, but Michigan should have this one.
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State // This should be a fun game
Syracuse vs. Maryland // upset
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue // Vanderbilt is the Purdue of the SEC, Purdue bounces back at home.
West Virginia vs. Missouri // Let's Gooooo!!!!!
USF vs. Georgia Tech // Just a guess
Nebraska vs. Colorado // old rivals, I like Nebraska
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson // I'll be rooting for A&M
San Diego State vs. UCLA // another guess
BYU vs. Tennessee // Tennessee bounces back after an embarrassing week 1
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas // Les Miles will have Pooka Williams
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss // fighting for supremacy at the bottom of the SEC West
(24) North Texas vs. SMU // upset? probably not
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas // Horns Down lol
Miami vs. North Carolina // more talent in Miami
Tulsa vs. San Jose State // No earthly idea
Arkansas State vs. UNLV // same as above
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State // Should be entertaining
(20) Stanford vs. USC // I don't understand USC
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona // ehh
Oregon State vs. Hawaii // Oregon State will be no match for the Rainbow Warriors

Pick Overall Record: 18-6
Pick Record Last Week: 14-6

Old 09-04-2019, 02:51 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Last week: 14-7
Overall: 16-8

Ohio vs. Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh should do just enough at home
Army vs. (6) Michigan. This will be a fight, but the Wolverines in the big house.
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State. Good to see them playing each other again, this should be a yearly occurrence. In Columbus, Bucks win this game late.
Syracuse vs. Maryland. I'll take the Orange defense.
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue. Really bad loss for Purdue out in Reno, but they should recover from it at home.
West Virginia vs. Missouri. It's not a good look for Mizzou, the SEC, or Kelly Bryant when this supposedly "great" QB can't hold onto a 14-0 lead against an average of the pack Mountain West team. Yes, it's the first week, yes going on the road is tough, yes I know the altitude at Wyoming is tough, but a good SEC team wins that game. The Cowboys were 6-6 and 7-5 the last 2 years it's not like they were 10-2 and 11-1. Mizzou, with Drew Locke won last year 40-13 in Columbia, you can't tell me home field and Drew Locke accounts for a 3 touchdown swing. Wyoming, the week after getting trounced at Mizzou last year, went back home to play FCS Wofford (albeit a pretty good FCS team) and only won by 3. After 1 week of play, it looks like it's going to be a very long year for Bryant & the Mizzou Tigers.
USF vs. Georgia Tech. I'll take Tech at home
Nebraska vs. Colorado. The ole Friday after Thanksgiving Big 12 rivalry renewed. Buffs in Boulder
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson. Could be one of the few games (only game) that Clemson doesn't win by more than 2 touchdowns.
San Diego State vs. UCLA. I'm not picking UCLA again until they prove they can win a game without embarrassing themselves.
BYU vs. Tennessee. And speaking of embarrassing. I think BYU hands Tennessee another loss on Rocky Top.
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas. Coastal Carolina blew a halftime lead at home to Eastern Michigan last week. If Kansas can't beat them they should just disband the football program immediately.
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss. I'll take Ole Miss at home.
(24) North Texas vs. SMU. Just a guess here.
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas. Neither team is going to be able to score much. LSU defense is better and has too much speed for Texas and they pull away late.
Miami vs. North Carolina. I'll take the Heels at home to get Brown his second win.
Tulsa vs. San Jose State. I'll take the home team again.
Arkansas State vs. UNLV. UNLV in Vegas.
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State. I'll take the mild upset if you can even count it as an "upset."
(20) Stanford vs. USC. Tough game, but I agree with SouthernTiger I'll roll with the Trees at the Coliseum.
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona. If they lose this Sumlin should be sent on the very next flight that leaves Tucson no matter where it's destination ends up being.
Oregon State vs. Hawaii. Looks like a potential "last team with the ball wins." I'll pick the Rainbow Warriors and hope they just have the ball last.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:22 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
All right, here's the picks for Week 2.

Ohio vs. Pittsburgh
Army vs. (6) Michigan
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State
Syracuse vs. Maryland
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue
West Virginia vs. Missouri
USF vs. Georgia Tech
Nebraska vs. Colorado
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson
San Diego State vs. UCLA
BYU vs. Tennessee
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss
(24) North Texas vs. SMU
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas
Miami vs. North Carolina
Tulsa vs. San Jose State
Arkansas State vs. UNLV
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State
(20) Stanford vs. USC
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona
Oregon State vs. Hawaii

Pick Overall Record: 14-11
Pick Record Last Week: 13-8

Here are my picks.
Ohio vs. Pittsburgh (Pitt has just seemed to be stuck in the middle under Pat Narduzzi the last three years...i expect this is a game they'll win, though.)
Army vs. (6) Michigan (Question: Did Army only plan for Michigan in their first two weeks, and plan very little for Rice? Maybe. Regardless, i can't pick Army to pull off the upset here.)
(23) Cincinnati vs. (5) Ohio State (This is the 12:00 game of the day to me, as many including me have this game on upset watch. I expect a good game, as Cincinnati, even with the UCLA game, is better than i think plenty feel about them. But this tends to be the type of matchup where even if Ohio State plays poorly, they usually find a way to pull it out in the end...)
Syracuse vs. Maryland (Yes, Maryland put up 79 points, but it's Howard. Maybe they'll do decent in the MEAC this year unlike the last, but that was an expected win for Maryland. Syracuse's defense looks great, though, and there is potential for an upset here with some of the offense struggles the Orange had against Liberty, but i'll take them on the road.)
Vanderbilt vs. Purdue (Tough call, but i'll take Purdue to bounce back from their opening week loss. Is Brohm really that good, or has it become that tough to win at Purdue?)
West Virginia vs. Missouri (Not a good opener for Mizzou. Although i'll still take them in their home opener. If they lose this as well, then i don't know what to think of them.)
USF vs. Georgia Tech (I'm low on Georgia Tech, but USF is likely in for a bad year...)
Nebraska vs. Colorado (I was very unimpressed with how Nebraska looked opening week. This became tougher to pick than expected, although i'm still going with the Cornhuskers.)
(19) Texas A&M vs. (1) Clemson (I know there are some that have this as a potential upset. Not entirely out of the question, but i don't see it. Controversial opinion: A&M has a better chance at beating Alabama than they do Clemson. And i think if Clemson trips up somewhere down the road, it's more likely to be an unexpected one; à la Pitt 2016, Syracuse 2017, than it would be an expected one.)
San Diego State vs. UCLA (I swear, if the Bruins don't win a non-con game this year...)
BYU vs. Tennessee (Call me nuts, but i don't really feel like Tennessee is that bad just yet. Plus, i'm not that impressed with Sitake as a head coach, either. My opinion of the Vols might change after Saturday, though.)
Coastal Carolina vs. Kansas (A rather underrated matchup, and i'll take the Jayhawks at home by a field goal.)
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss (This is a guessing contest - I legitimately have no idea who the hell will win this one.)
(24) North Texas vs. SMU (Fine vs. Buechele is going to be a very underrated battle to watch this week. North Texas' defense needs to improve, but i'm still pretty high on them this season, so i'll take them to win on the road.)
(7) LSU vs. (8) Texas (Huge game, especially for recruiting purposes, and playoff hopes for both. Gimme my Horns, though! A big game in which i don't go against them...To quote Bubsy, what could possibly go wrong? LSU's offense is actually scaring people for once, but i have a good feeling about this game. And it could potentially become a shootout.)
Miami vs. North Carolina (Congrats to Mack Brown on winning his debut. This game certainly got a bit more interesting. I'm going to take Manny Diaz getting his first career win as a head coach, though.)
Tulsa vs. San Jose State (Pillow fight? And i'm actually taking San Jose State here.)
Arkansas State vs. UNLV (I took a guess. I have more faith in Blake Anderson than i do Tony Sanchez and crew.)
Minnesota vs. (21) Fresno State (I'll take Fresno to bounce back from last week. Thought for sure they'd upend USC...oh, well.)
(20) Stanford vs. USC (I was very confident going into the year that Stanford would beat USC, but with both KJ and JT out, this game has become a big unknown to me...still rolling with the trees, though.)
Northern Arizona vs. Arizona (I put this here because i've noticed some people are thinking this will be a more interesting game than expected, particularly because of Arizona's D, and because i'm hearing Case Cookus is the real deal. I'll give Arizona the benefit of the doubt, but if they lose, Marcel Yates should be gone, and if not, throw Sumlin out.)
Oregon State vs. Hawaii (Tough call, as Oregon State did play better than i expected. Could be that, or Oklahoma State's D is trash. It's difficult to take the Beavers in a game that isn't against an FCS team though.)
Maybe not but the local sports stations are reporting that Smoky has entered the transfer portal

Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM

RANKINGS
1 Chriscross309 18-6
2 7Express 16-8
3 Southern Tiger 14-11
4 Large King cat 7-8

Old 09-04-2019, 05:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
I caught a reair in the Tennessee-Georgia State game on Monday and it was awesome! I have a few Volunteer fans and I find them more irritating than Clemson fans. Clemson fans at least have a reason to be irritating. I had forgotten than Shawn Eliott coaches GS now, so it was nice to see him get a win. (I'm a Gamecock fan. I doubt we'll have anything to cheer about this year.

Aside from the game itself, there was some major irony going on with the broadcast. The color commentator for this game is... wait for it, wait for it, Ryan Leaf. Yes, that Ryan Leaf, considered by many to be the bust of all-time in the NFL. Folks remember that there was some question who would be the first pick in the 1998, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning. Manning went first and had a great career. Leaf went second and it was all down hill from there.

So this was Leaf's first game doing color for ESPN and I admit that my snarky self thought it was pretty funny that they would give him a shot. He really hit rock bottom after his NFL career went south. They did a "30 for 30" on him. He ended up in jail.

So I am thinking snarky thoughts, but after the first quarter, I had to admit he was actually a pretty good commentator. There were a few guys over the weekend doing games that made me want to turn the volume off. But Leaf was more than holding his own. Then they showed video of him from the day before chatting with Manning on the sidelines. Leaf said they were talking about their kids. He said that after everything that had happened and how their careers took different paths, that when they were talking about their kids, they were both where they wanted to be.

Yeah, I felt like a prick. Here's hoping Ryan Leaf can come back all the way and make a career out of calling college ball. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:48 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Any college football "junkies" have a list ranking colleges with 5th year seniors for 2019. I can't find these stats. I believe this makes a big difference in the quality of the team and think the "better" teams have more 5th year senions playing. I would like to see this list. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Dang. ARMY is fun to watch........if you are stuck in the 1940s or 50s. Going to be an interesting game. Michigan has more weapons but Hairball NEEDS a QB that can HOLD onto the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football