Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 04:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Alabama could not run the ball on 3rd and 4th down on Clemson in the second half.

That's why they tried that weak fake FG.

You are so biased for SEC teams that you imagine things.

Be honest. They tried a fake field goal because their kicker sucked.

Quote:
Before that, Damien Harris ripped off a 15-yard run, an 11-yard run and a 9-yard run. Josh Jacobs also ran for two 1st downs on 3rd and 4th down.

That was basically his yardage for the game. Alabama had 37 rushes for 148 yards in that game. a respectable, but by NO means exceptional 4.0 yard per rush average.

Why were they throwing the ball? Because they were down by 20.

Najee Harris was the leading rusher.. 59 yards on 9 carries.

Clemson gained 135 yards on 31 carries, a 4.35 yard per rush clip, leading rusher Etienne 14 for 86..

So.. If Alabama "manhandled" Clemson's D-line.. I suppose Clemson's O-Line must have dominated 'Bama?

I don't disagree with you that Alabama's rushing game, especially Jacobs out of that wildcat on 3rd and 4th down, was effective. However, when you're down by 20+ points, it's rather difficult to justify running the ball, and thus the clock.. Especially when you have Tua. Even though Tua had his worst game.

Even Lawrence had a pretty bad game if you look at it as a whole and not just at the video game like numbers. Now, a couple of early passes to Renfrow were PI that wasn't called. I have little doubt that the old man (Saban) said that they were NOT going to let the old man (Renfrow) beat them and they did legit shut him down. They mugged him. And he only got 2 passes all game. Lawrence was saved by his WRs tho. They stepped up and played big time, especially Justyn Ross. Jeudy is the only one who really did so on Alabama.

Speaking of.. anyone see Renfrow's first NFL TD this weekend? Classic Renfrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdRXbk-AuM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 04:40 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Alabama was 4 of 13 on 3rd down, 3 of 6 on 4th down.

That they went for it six times on 4th down indicates they were not dominating on the O-line.

Bama got stuffed on a 4th and 4 attempt one one drive in the red zone where Tua ran it. If they have NFL RBs and their O line is dominating Clemson, why are they running Tua

They later had 2nd and goal at the Clemson 1. They had a no gain and loss of 1 by their RB, then loss of 7 by Tua for a turnover on downs.
You clearly said they COULD NOT RUN IN THE 3RD QUARTER. You further said THAT WAS WHY THEY TRIED THAT WEAK FAKE FG. That was wrong. Their running game was working just fine until they threw the ball 3 straight times. Their running game was also working just fine until it was derailed by Tua's interception, which was really what changed the game.

Quote:
1st & 10 at ALA 25
(11:38 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for 7 yds to the Alab 32

2nd & 3 at ALA 32
(10:52 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for 2 yds to the Alab 34

3rd & 1 at ALA 34
(10:33 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for no gain to the Alab 34

4th & 1 at ALA 34
(10:02 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for 3 yds to the Alab 37 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ALA 37
(9:23 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for 8 yds to the Alab 45

2nd & 2 at ALA 45
(8:49 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs run for 11 yds to the Clem 44 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at CLEM 44
(8:05 - 2nd) Tua Tagovailoa pass intercepted Trayvon Mullen return for 46 yds to the Alab 47
They were opening up massive holes in Clemson's defensive line while Clemson could not establish much of a running game at all for 3 quarters.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
If they were opening up massive holes in Clemson's defensive line, they would have won the game big.

They would have put the ball in the end zone after being 2nd and 1 at the goal line.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Be honest. They tried a fake field goal because their kicker sucked.

This is a strange comment given I was responding to a person's premise that ALabama's O line dominated Clemson. Why fake a FG if the team's O line is dominating. Run it up the middle.

Why were they in a 4th down situation if they were dominating.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
That was basically his yardage for the game. Alabama had 37 rushes for 148 yards in that game. a respectable, but by NO means exceptional 4.0 yard per rush average.
Yes, that was his yardage for the game because they got down double digits and stopped running the ball.

Quote:
Clemson gained 135 yards on 31 carries, a 4.35 yard per rush clip, leading rusher Etienne 14 for 86..
And Etienne's longest run came in garbage time. They were not consistently moving the chains at all with the run game. The big plays that night came on 3rd and longs. I'll even be specific with it.

3rd & 14 at CLEM 21
(11:03 - 1st) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Tee Higgins for 62 yds to the Alab 17 for a 1ST down

3rd & 8 at CLEM 26
(8:26 - 3rd) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Justyn Ross for 74 yds for a TD, (Greg Huegel PAT MISSED)

3rd & 12 at CLEM 25
(4:04 - 3rd) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Justyn Ross for 37 yds to the Alab 38 for a 1ST down

3rd & 9 at ALA 37
(2:34 - 3rd) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Justyn Ross for 17 yds to the Alab 20 for a 1ST down

I watch all of these games in detail and I know the personnel well. I probably hear about Clemson recruits before any of you do.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 PM

Is there a more hypercritical person of Clemson football than BajanYankee.

You didn't see him comment on UGA and Fromm after Fromm threw 3 picks and lost to SC, then struggled to score against Kentucky.

But Clemson winning a close one against UNC got his attention.

He cited an ex Alabama person making excuses for losing to Clemson, they didn't run the ball enough. lol Kiffen was their most pass happy coach.

One reason teams don't run the ball is because they weren't confident they would be successful. Bama did have a good passing game yardage wise.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-29-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
This is a strange comment given I was responding to a person's premise that ALabama's O line dominated Clemson. Why fake a FG if the team's O line is dominating. Run it up the middle.
Because Locksley was a moron. That's why. Why would you throw the ball after rushing for 3 straight first downs?

Quote:
Why were they in a 4th down situation if they were dominating.
You could ask the same question about Clemson. How did they wind up in a 3rd and 14 situation and a 3rd and 12 situation if they were dominating?

In all honesty, I could tell you more about Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott's offense than either of you could.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Because Locksley was a moron. That's why. Why would you throw the ball after rushing for 3 straight first downs?

You could ask the same question about Clemson. How did they wind up in a 3rd and 14 situation and a 3rd and 12 situation if they were dominating?

In all honesty, I could tell you more about Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott's offense than either of you could.
You also think you know more about playing college quarterbak than Trevor Lawrence.

Locksley's offense dominated in the SEC, they outscored SEC teams by a greater margin than Clemson outscored ACC teams last year.

How can you on one hand say the SEC is incredibly tough conference and then say Locksley is a moron.

You present yourself as a factman but you don't have the facts on your side.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Is there a more hypercritical person of Clemson football than BajanYankee.
Lies.

I trash Fromm all the time. Or at least I did last year. I don't have much to say about Jake because I never thought much of him anyway and he's never gotten the hype Trevor Lawrence did in high school or at the collegiate level.

Analysts across the country are going to talk about Lawrence more than Fromm because he got a lot more hype.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:59 PM

lol Fromm has gotten a ton of hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football