Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 12:49 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Crazy comeback from 28-3 down by Illinois against Michigan State.
Illinois had 10 points in the first 45 minutes; they had 27 in the next 14:48. I agree with what SouthernTiger posted previewing this matchup earlier in the thread; time for a change. Dantonio was a terrific hire, he took the program to great heights but right now it's back to the John L. Smith days. The team is stale. Even when they may have been out manned and out talented they would still put up a fight; see most of their games vs. Ohio State in the Dantonio tenure. There was probably only one year where MSU had the better team (the Luke Fickell year, remember that??) and even that is pushing it, but every year, Dantonio would have them within a touchdown, tied or leading heading into the 4th. OSU routinely beat the snot out of everyone else in the conference and on the schedule but struggled to post a winning margin of greater than 10 points against the Spartans and even those games are gone now. So, hopefully Dantonio steps aside and retires after the season so the team can have a new voice for 2020 because they need one, because I don't see the AD firing him with the success he's brought to the team.

The ASU victory earlier this year (penalties and missed kicks galore) probably doesn't happen 3 or 4 years ago; they might still lose to Ohio State but they put up a good fight 3 or 4 years ago; 3 or 4 years ago this team definitely holds onto a 31-10 lead heading into the 4th quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Didn't do too well on picks this week, but come out on top 14-12. Here's my Top 25 going into Week 12.

#1: LSU (9-0) +2
#2: Ohio State (9-0) -1
#3: Oregon (8-1) +3
#4: Clemson (10-0)
#5: Minnesota (9-0) +9
#6: Alabama (8-1) -4
#7: Georgia (8-1)
#8: Utah (8-1)
#9: Penn State (8-1) -4
#10: Oklahoma (8-1)
#11: Memphis (8-1)
#12: Michigan (7-2) -3
#13: Florida (8-2) -1
#14: Baylor (9-0) -1
#15: Auburn (7-2)
#16: SMU (9-1)
#17: Notre Dame (7-2)
#18: Wisconsin (7-2) +2
#19: Cincinnati (8-1)
#20: Appalachian State (8-1) +3
#21: Boise State (8-1) +1
#22: Louisiana Tech (8-1) +2
#23: Navy (7-1) NEW
#24: Texas (6-3) NEW
#25: Iowa (6-3) -7

Honorable Mentions
Indiana (7-2)
Air Force (7-2)
Wake Forest (7-2)
Kansas State (6-3)
Texas A&M (6-3)
Virginia (7-3)

Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
So Alabama likely will not make the playoff barring major chaos among the contenders. Those silly errors in the 1st half doomed them. I know last year they made the playoff without playing in the SEC title game, but the circumstances this time are different.
That was two seasons ago.

They won the SEC title game last year against UGA. Jalen Hurts came in for a comeback victory.

I'd be surprised if Alabama doesn't get in given all the hype for LSU and it was a close game and Tua was coming off a leg injury.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:36 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
They'll find some way to slip Bama in.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:39 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Here are some random Sunday morning thoughts, all from the one who picked a losing record twice in a row.
I watched the Bama LAU game. Wondering if football announcing is like working at Walmart...they will hire anyone. Those 2 announcers were awful. I can understand being biased, I grew up with Cosell on MNF. But not even knowing the rules to the game or even being able to follow the action on the field ? That is sad.

So we have a few undefeateds left. Suppose, and humor me, but suppose that on Dec 7 that MEENuhSOWdah beats Ohio State. The Gold Gophers go undefeated and I start seeing people dressed as giant rodents in my nightmares. Would they get into the college playoffs ?

Suppose Baylor somehow survives Oklahoma AND Texas and emerges unscathed. (If you wonder why I dislike that college go read some of my posts in the religion section and figure it out)
WOULD THEY BE offered a spot in the final 4 too?

And finally. LSU has to beat 3 unranked teams then play Georgia or Florida in the championship. While they could finish undefeated, they have always had trouble with A&M and championship games can go either way.

Of course Penn State could possibly but not probably beat Ohio State. It is plausible but not likely that only 1 or 2 teams can finish undefeated. Clemson likely will.

So what does thjis mean? It means Alabama somehow weasels back into the playoffs.

Consider this. Neither Baylor nor MEEnuhSOWduh have the fan base or reputation to spark national interest in the playoffs. Ohio State, Penn State both do. Clemson does as does LSU Old Bammy does A one loss Organ Ducks would go but a one loss Utah would be skipped

At the end of the day, the playoffs are rigged, just like the rasslin. They are set for the most established programs to thrive and for the newbies and up and comers to be left out. If Somehow the Baylor Bears and the Gold Gophers emerged undefeated, then they would make for a good meeting in the cheese whiz bowl but the playoffs would still be Clemson, LSUor Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. Which is a shame.

What should happen is to shorten the season by 1 game. Go ahead and have 68 bowl games because there are too many anyway already. Week one post season the winner of the MAC play's the Winner of the Sunbelt and the winner of C USA play's the Winner of the AMERICAN. Sec play's big 12 and Pac 16 play's big ten. Atlantic play's SEC and the best Indy play's Alabama. The top interest matchup. Ithe ones involving the SEC and or Bama get a bye. The teams will play a tourney to determine who iI s best. This way everyone gets in the playoffs and everyone gets a bowl game. Instead of a DR pepper trophy everyone gets a participation trophy. Alabama gets rated as the official national champion. Sound silly ? Well, no more so and no less fair than the mess now. I love watching college football until the end of the season politics take all the fun out of it.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Here are some random Sunday morning thoughts, all from the one who picked a losing record twice in a row.
I watched the Bama LAU game. Wondering if football announcing is like working at Walmart...they will hire anyone. Those 2 announcers were awful. I can understand being biased, I grew up with Cosell on MNF. But not even knowing the rules to the game or even being able to follow the action on the field ? That is sad.

So we have a few undefeateds left. Suppose, and humor me, but suppose that on Dec 7 that MEENuhSOWdah beats Ohio State. The Gold Gophers go undefeated and I start seeing people dressed as giant rodents in my nightmares. Would they get into the college playoffs ?

Suppose Baylor somehow survives Oklahoma AND Texas and emerges unscathed. (If you wonder why I dislike that college go read some of my posts in the religion section and figure it out)
WOULD THEY BE offered a spot in the final 4 too?

And finally. LSU has to beat 3 unranked teams then play Georgia or Florida in the championship. While they could finish undefeated, they have always had trouble with A&M and championship games can go either way.

Of course Penn State could possibly but not probably beat Ohio State. It is plausible but not likely that only 1 or 2 teams can finish undefeated. Clemson likely will.

So what does thjis mean? It means Alabama somehow weasels back into the playoffs.

Consider this. Neither Baylor nor MEEnuhSOWduh have the fan base or reputation to spark national interest in the playoffs. Ohio State, Penn State both do. Clemson does as does LSU Old Bammy does A one loss Organ Ducks would go but a one loss Utah would be skipped

At the end of the day, the playoffs are rigged, just like the rasslin. They are set for the most established programs to thrive and for the newbies and up and comers to be left out. If Somehow the Baylor Bears and the Gold Gophers emerged undefeated, then they would make for a good meeting in the cheese whiz bowl but the playoffs would still be Clemson, LSUor Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. Which is a shame.

What should happen is to shorten the season by 1 game. Go ahead and have 68 bowl games because there are too many anyway already. Week one post season the winner of the MAC play's the Winner of the Sunbelt and the winner of C USA play's the Winner of the AMERICAN. Sec play's big 12 and Pac 16 play's big ten. Atlantic play's SEC and the best Indy play's Alabama. The top interest matchup. Ithe ones involving the SEC and or Bama get a bye. The teams will play a tourney to determine who iI s best. This way everyone gets in the playoffs and everyone gets a bowl game. Instead of a DR pepper trophy everyone gets a participation trophy. Alabama gets rated as the official national champion. Sound silly ? Well, no more so and no less fair than the mess now. I love watching college football until the end of the season politics take all the fun out of it.
The media darling must survive, to save the ratings. Like you said; "end of the season politics".

Old 11-10-2019, 10:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
They'll find some way to slip Bama in.
I hope the selection committee can learn from the 2017 season. If you do not win your conference and have a worse record than other teams, you should not be considered.

Alabama and ESPN has a working relationship.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:02 PM

1,149 posts, read 451,541 times
I think some of you are assuming too much with the Alabama bias. Again, many upsets need to happen. Otherwise they're not making the playoff.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:59 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
I think some of you are assuming too much with the Alabama bias. Again, many upsets need to happen. Otherwise they're not making the playoff.
The AP and Coaches have them 4. I wonder if CFB playoff ranking puts them Top 5

Absolute joke if you ask me

Old 11-10-2019, 04:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
If Auburn beats UGA, and Alabama wins at Auburn, they will be in no doubt.

Jerry Palm with CBS Sports is projecting Oklahoma as the 4 seed taking all future games into consideration.

He has Alabama playing Baylor and UGA playing Wake in bowls outside of the playoff. That would be hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football