Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times

Advertisements

Hulu is carrying a show on the Big Ten Network, The Heartland. It basically shows the football week in review, with some highlights & player interviews. It's kind cool seeing regional Iowa advertisers on there too. I had never heard of it, did a little research & looks like they also cover other Hawkeye sports during other seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 08:21 PM

For whatever it's worth, Hawkeyes open 2021 ranked #18 in preseason polls..

Old 08-24-2021, 09:38 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Iowa will contend in the B1G like they usually do.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:36 PM

1,854 posts, read 793,265 times
excited for the season

Old 09-03-2021, 09:26 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Hawkeyes have a pretty favorable schedule this year - but they need to beat Indiana this week, who is way better than usual.

Wisconsin will always be in the way, and Northwestern seems to beat us in the years that we need that win badly.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Hawkeyes have a pretty favorable schedule this year - but they need to beat Indiana this week, who is way better than usual.
Good season opening win for Iowa.. Indiana fell behind early. Pair of pick-6s for Hawkeyes' Riley Moss (definitely not something you see every weekend).

Old 09-08-2021, 07:42 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
The biggest rivalry game of the year this weekend. Iowa and Iowa State BOTH are ranked.

Iowa State was lucky to pull out a win against FCS in-state foe U. of Northern Iowa. That wasn't a very good showing against a team that is supposedly one step down in the ratings.

In Iowa State's defense, UNI is always a really good FCS team that plays in the toughest conference in the nation for FCS, the Missouri Valley Conference.

The game is on national TV and I'll be glued to the screen.

Go Hawkeyes.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:35 AM

17,774 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The biggest rivalry game of the year this weekend. Iowa and Iowa State BOTH are ranked.

Iowa State was lucky to pull out a win against FCS in-state foe U. of Northern Iowa. That wasn't a very good showing against a team that is supposedly one step down in the ratings.

In Iowa State's defense, UNI is always a really good FCS team that plays in the toughest conference in the nation for FCS, the Missouri Valley Conference.

Go Hawkeyes.
I've didn't like the Hawkeyes when I was a little kid. For some reason black and yellow didn't appeal to my eye. Mostly because I thought the Unis looked like bumblebees and I didn't get along with them too well. Always liked ISU because they for some reason that color of red and yellow didn't remind me of any stinging varmint. LOL. Plus them being in our Big 8/12 and them rarely being good and not a threat in the conference...I kind of developed a soft spot for the 'ole Clones. Since my youth I got over the Iowa "bumblebee" colors and am no longer threatened.

But, in travelling to Ames for games through the years I became fascinated to here their fans talk about the rivalry with Iowa. Not only did they have the typical Ag/Flag resentment that you see in states that have two major state universities...they talked about Big 10 snobbery and how the Hawks used that against them. Finally and what I found most interesting is that they couldn't stand the fact that a lot of Iowa students and alums are from the Chicago area and that as homespun Iowa people they couldn't stand them.

I thought that was funny because at OU we had a handful of Chicagoans and quite frankly they stood out on campus for being lovingly obnoxious. But anyway, it was always amusing hearing the I-State fans talk about how much they despised those "big city Chicago Hawkeyes".

All this made me interested in the CyHawk game. I think it is the most underrated rivalry in the country. Between the dynamics of the state and the two universities and the absolute hard core enthusiasm that both sides have for their teams and their school makes this one of the best rivalries out there. And the amazing thing to me is it's not just football. Basketball, wrestling. The fans and the intensity are there.

Looking forward to another addition of this game on Saturday. It ought to be one of the best ones ever as both teams are right up there with the best of them.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:56 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Go Hawkeyes.
I saw that Iowa is a 4.5 point underdog. On paper, that feels like an easy spread...but these are kids, and you never know.

Right now I think both of the teams are a bit overrated in the polls. Iowa feels like a team in the 15-17 range and Iowa State might be about the same, or worse.

Yes, UNI is a tough FCS team - but man, scoring 16 points against them, on your home field, is bad.

I would pound the under bet in this game.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:30 PM

1,854 posts, read 793,265 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football