Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:15 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

I had to work yesterday and missed out on pretty much all of the games. I watched a quarter of the local South FLorida Bulls game, but exhausted, went to bed and did not dream of football.

Next weekend, the ALMA MATER hosts SMU at 6PM so I should be home to watch it, even if I have to work some on Saturday.

I am glad though that there are many games happening. I often like to kick back and watch a game, any game, any conference. I have been told that I am a hard core fan, but I think that I am just a fan who loves the game of football and does not care who is playing or winning, I just like to watch a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 11:32 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

1. COVID cases on college campuses are out of control. Many of these players live in dorms or go to college parties and congregate with a ton of others. This is a ticking time bomb.
I don't know about every school, but Syracuse players have their own dorm and cafeteria. And I'm sure they got the riot act read to them about not partying and mingling with other students any more than they have to.

My nephew is on the team and he said he's been tested several times since arriving on campus at the beginning of August.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...e-opportunity/

Quote:
Alberga said dealing with the pandemic has been stressful, but added that he’s comfortable with how Syracuse is handling it both from a football and academic standpoint.

“For me it hasn’t been that big of a problem,”*he said.*“I’ve been tested four times since I’ve been here. The football players have their own dorms, there’s plenty of distance between students in the classrooms; I feel pretty safe.”

Old 09-13-2020, 01:18 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't know about every school, but Syracuse players have their own dorm and cafeteria. And I'm sure they got the riot act read to them about not partying and mingling with other students any more than they have to.

My nephew is on the team and he said he's been tested several times since arriving on campus at the beginning of August.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...e-opportunity/
Athletic dorms are illegal anymore. Where ever the Syracuse players live has to be 50% regular students.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:13 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Texas tested 1,198 students prior to Saturday’s game as a requirement before being allowed to attend. 95 of them tested positive for the virus, a 7.9% rate.

Won’t be long before the players are infected en masse.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:55 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Athletic dorms are illegal anymore. Where ever the Syracuse players live has to be 50% regular students.

Seriously, don't call my nephew a liar. If he says his dorm is athlete-only, it's athlete-only.

And then there's this:

https://todayheadline.co/could-ncaa-...-covid-bubble/

Quote:
Other schools, mainly in the South and Midwest, took note and built athlete-only residence halls of their own until the NCAA stepped in and banned the practice in the 1990s, saying the dorms were a perk not given to the rest of the student body and that they built a divide between athletes and other students. But now, amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, the NCAA and its schools could find themselves forced to undermine the long-standing rule if they want to get their seasons off the ground.

For plans to play to move forward, NCAA teams might be forced to decide whether to follow the path of the NBA, WNBA, NHL and MLS in instituting a bubble for athletes in football and basketball, the two sports that generate millions in revenue for the schools and thus the ones that schools most need played amid the pandemic.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas tested 1,198 students prior to Saturday’s game as a requirement before being allowed to attend. 95 of them tested positive for the virus, a 7.9% rate.

Won’t be long before the players are infected en masse.
If that is true then most of these schools will achieve herd immunity in a matter of weeks. I’m not sure why they are so worried about this since college students are not at much risk for this. I’m so tired of all this paranoia around this.

At least the big 10 is coming to their senses. I’m sure the boards of angry players, angry alumni and angry fans forced their hands. Even the president involved himself in this. Americans are SICK of all these scared ninnies trying to quarantine the country to placate their own unreasonable fears.

Glad to see the Big Ten back in action. Too bad we won’t see and SEC vs Big Ten action this year.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:07 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Seriously, don't call my nephew a liar. If he says his dorm is athlete-only, it's athlete-only.

And then there's this:

https://todayheadline.co/could-ncaa-...-covid-bubble/
Didn't mean to call him a liar because it looks like Syracuse is isolating athletes this year, but that is temporary.

They may have this set up during COVID but it is illegal to have an "athlete's only" dorm under normal circumstances.

It's not me saying this. It's the NCAA's rules. If Syracuse truly is running an "athletic residence facility" then they are in violation of those rules.

Quote:
NCAA Guidelines
In 1991, the National Collegiate Athletic Association implemented regulations prohibiting athletics residence halls in Division I institutions. The guidelines forbid blocks of rooms consisting of more than 49% student athletes. The idea was that athletes need to be treated the same as other students on campus.
If Syracuse is indeed running an "athletic dorm" I'm turning them in. They stole one of my team's running backs a couple of years ago.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:35 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Didn't mean to call him a liar because it looks like Syracuse is isolating athletes this year, but that is temporary.

They may have this set up during COVID but it is illegal to have an "athlete's only" dorm under normal circumstances.

It's not me saying this. It's the NCAA's rules. If Syracuse truly is running an "athletic residence facility" then they are in violation of those rules.

If Syracuse is indeed running an "athletic dorm" I'm turning them in. They stole one of my team's running backs a couple of years ago.
Why turn them in? Isolating the football athletes from the general student population for any amount of time would be a safety measure to reduce rapes of coeds. Too bad Baylor didn’t take those steps under Art Briles’tenure.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:59 AM

317 posts, read 239,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I had to work yesterday and missed out on pretty much all of the games. I watched a quarter of the local South FLorida Bulls game, but exhausted, went to bed and did not dream of football.

Next weekend, the ALMA MATER hosts SMU at 6PM so I should be home to watch it, even if I have to work some on Saturday.

I am glad though that there are many games happening. I often like to kick back and watch a game, any game, any conference. I have been told that I am a hard core fan, but I think that I am just a fan who loves the game of football and does not care who is playing or winning, I just like to watch a game.
Seth needs to go

Old 09-22-2020, 02:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
Seth needs to go
Yep ! Sure does. I don't know who they can find to work for cheap there, but his 15 minutes of fame are up !

Next game At Houston. Afraid to even watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football