Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times

Advertisements

To me, this is ironic. Back in the 80s, Brian Bosworth of Oklahoma was a star linebacker with an epic repuation for media diatribes and expressions that were inflammatory at best. He complained a lot about the lack of financial compensation from the university's profits at the expense of football players. The Boz thought it was "Un American" and labeled the NCAA as "National Communists Against Athletes". If the Boz had the ability to market himself as given to modern college football players, he could have been wealthy beyond reason for that time as an undergraduate. Despite those rules against marketing, he still profited a lot in that NFL Rookie year financially. The "catch" was that his health deteriorated badly. He eventually sued for CTE brain trauma and has become very humble in his elderly years - a stark contrast to his ultra-inflated egostical years of the 1980s.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/931581.The_Boz

Against that backdrop, Brian referred to the Big 8 Conference of the time as the "Big One and Little Seven" meaning Oklahoma was the "Big One" and the others were inferior football teams. Decades later, the Sooners are bolting the Big 12 (expanded from the old Big 8) and headed to the SEC (if they approve). Not only that, but Texas is joining them. This essentially means the demise of the old "Big 8" or now "Big 12" - lol.

Personally, to me the SEC Championship was the default championship since no team was able to give Alabama such a good game in the playoffs. It took our Gators to do that - a competitive game to the final seconds putting the Tide "against the ropes" for a narrow win. The SEC Championship was the real championship last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
To top it off, I think The Boz has been living in Austin for quite a few years, or had been up until a couple of years ago. Some local Texas fans who interacted with him said he was a pretty good guy.

Anyhoo, just saw this hysterical clip about Texas’ first meeting with the SEC posted on a UT sports board..

https://streamable.com/dbjm7a

Old 07-28-2021, 10:28 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
As to the bottom paragraph: So? OU is top dawg in the big12 but they're leaving it. It's about money not conference championships.

As to the top paragaph: So? History means nothing right now. All the big-time power brokers are playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.
Right, but Clemson is a real top-dawg in terms of a year in, year out contender for a National Championship. OU is not on Clemson's level in terms of talent and being perennially Top 1-3, year in, year out. I do agree with you that it's about money, but the ACC, which is about average in terms of money, combined with Clemson getting tons of money, endorsements, and booster donations from being a perennial National Championship contender year in year out, is enough for them to not risk rocking the boat to leave a conference where they are comfortable. OU is in a different position.

Agree with you that history means nothing right now EXCEPT for the BIG TEN. They are the most blue-blood, TRADITIONAL conference left. MD and Rutgers joining really rattled the boat (2 east coast school, MD 'technically' a southern state), and shows that they are inching their way to be more liberal, as these 2 schools were brought on specifically for money (expanding the TV footprint). But the "schools" deciding to leave the conference is another issue. Believe me, it would be PR nightmare for the major donors/boosters at those schools if OSU/Michigan tried to leave the Big Ten. Heck Michigan donors ousted Rich Rod because he didn't play "Michigan-style" football. That was a decade ago, but I'm just pointing out that it would not be a simple exit for those storied franchises from the Big Ten.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:46 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
True about Clemson.

For you guys it is about money. But for Texas & OU it is also about recruiting, since we have been losing blue chip Texas kids who want to play in the SEC.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:59 PM

1,982 posts, read 971,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
True about Clemson.

For you guys it is about money. But for Texas & OU it is also about recruiting, since we have been losing blue chip Texas kids who want to play in the SEC.
I think the move will boost recruiting for UT even more.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I think the move will boost recruiting for UT even more.
I believe so as well and recruits have said as much. If that happens and Texas coaches actually develops, look out. That said, it's time for boosters to leave the coaches alone and let them and the AD do their jobs and not get in the way. If they do that, they will have a better program.

That said, people ignored the grants of rights ending in 2025. The Big 12 sat on their thumbs and did nothing to improve the conference. They could have added Louisville or a Cincinnati. They could have been way more proactive. But they did nothing. I truly believe that by the time we got to 2018, the Big 12 was on its deathbed without the formal announcement because of this. The closer we got to 2025, the better the chances of the big 12 ceasing to exist increased. Texas and OU was always going to keep their options open even when they stayed in 2011. The NIL coming into existence sped up the process and Texas and OU had to know it was coming six months ago. But if they knew, the Big 12 did as well. Poor leadership since 2005 for this conference.

This is also all on ESPN. You know their hands are on this. The Big 12 would have died a decade ago if they didn't reward Texas with a 20 year 300 million dollar contract back in 2011. IMO, that was shortsighted but most of it did at least go to academics. If ESPN didn't give out that money, I am betting that Texas, OU, Tech, and OSU are already in the Pac 12 along with Colorado and Utah with A&M going east. Now they will probably just rollover the LHN to the SEC network.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Another thing, I am seriously wondering what the Pac 12 is going to do. Larry Scott also showed bad leadership here. He should have told them that if we lose Texas and OU, we will lose any chance we have of getting any attention east of the continental divide. That will appear to be true and if it happens, USC may be asking some questions. Them alone could potentially end regional conferences (if it isn't already) for good. If Texas and OU are admitted into the SEC, what other national historic powerhouse could they bring in that would leave their current situation for them?

Old 07-28-2021, 06:19 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Today, the Board of Regents of Texas A and M voted today to support the addition of Oklahoma and Texas into the SEC. These types of votes are normally unanimous when push comes to shove. The arguments are for behind closed doors.

That paves the way for a 14-0 vote, probably during the conference call set for tomorrow. Only one TAMU Regent voted no.

https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/...c-abde514828e3

Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Another thing, I am seriously wondering what the Pac 12 is going to do. Larry Scott also showed bad leadership here. He should have told them that if we lose Texas and OU, we will lose any chance we have of getting any attention east of the continental divide. That will appear to be true and if it happens, USC may be asking some questions. Them alone could potentially end regional conferences (if it isn't already) for good. If Texas and OU are admitted into the SEC, what other national historic powerhouse could they bring in that would leave their current situation for them?
Yup. Texas would have been a perfect addition for the Pac-12. I guess OU too, but from an all-around academic and blue blood prestige, getting Texas would be a home run. And geographically int fots with eye "west." Not sure how the Pac 12 let them slip.

Kansas may make sense as a backup. They won't help in football, but in basketball they are good and they are solid academically.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:02 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right, but Clemson is a real top-dawg in terms of a year in, year out contender for a National Championship. OU is not on Clemson's level in terms of talent and being perennially Top 1-3, year in, year out. I do agree with you that it's about money, but the ACC, which is about average in terms of money, combined with Clemson getting tons of money, endorsements, and booster donations from being a perennial National Championship contender year in year out, is enough for them to not risk rocking the boat to leave a conference where they are comfortable. OU is in a different position.

Agree with you that history means nothing right now EXCEPT for the BIG TEN. They are the most blue-blood, TRADITIONAL conference left. MD and Rutgers joining really rattled the boat (2 east coast school, MD 'technically' a southern state), and shows that they are inching their way to be more liberal, as these 2 schools were brought on specifically for money (expanding the TV footprint). But the "schools" deciding to leave the conference is another issue. Believe me, it would be PR nightmare for the major donors/boosters at those schools if OSU/Michigan tried to leave the Big Ten. Heck Michigan donors ousted Rich Rod because he didn't play "Michigan-style" football. That was a decade ago, but I'm just pointing out that it would not be a simple exit for those storied franchises from the Big Ten.
"Real" top dawg for what...five, six years. Prolly won't last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football