Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 07:41 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

“TEXAS A&M @ Colorado. Does anyone outside of College Station really think that A&M's scheduling is worth any respect?”
Plenty of sports poll voters do, but not many fans.
Colorado was terrible when Texas rolled them in the Alamo Bowl last December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 02:32 PM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Last week: 16-5
Overall: 20-6

Kansas @ Coastal Carolina. It was just 14 years ago that Kansas football finished 11-1 and made a BCS bowl, remember that?? Now they are about a 4 touchdown underdog against a school that was still playing at FCS level in 2007 when Kansas finished 11-1 and made the Orange Bowl. Coastal wins easily, the bigger intrigue is whether Kansas can cover the 26 point spread. Rest of the week later tonight or tomorrow but wanted to make sure I got this free win in beforehand.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 PM

Then Kansas fired Mark Mangino, their best coach ever, because he was mean to some of his players.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:01 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
This has become forgotten, the 2009 Jayhawks team started out 5-0 and proceeded to lose the final 7 games. To date that's the closest they've been to my knowledge of not just being close to bowl eligible, but also have more than 3 wins in a season. I'm not sure what happened to that team and why they fell apart but there must have been some bad voodoo at work because it's been pure misery ever since.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Then Kansas fired Mark Mangino, their best coach ever, because he was mean to some of his players.
My theory is that as a D1 college coach you can be either mean or obese...but you can't be both. :

Old 09-10-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My theory is that as a D1 college coach you can be either mean or obese...but you can't be both. :
Point taken.

Mike Leach was just mean to Craig James’ kid at Tech.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:12 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Point taken.

Mike Leach was just mean to Craig James’ kid at Tech.
A couple of things. Mike Leach was getting pretty chubby at Tech...and according to my theory. The stronger the politics of the player you are being mean to plays into what constitutes obese.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:46 PM

But you have to throw in the fact that Leach is also a lawyer by trade.

After that fiasco, Craig James actually ran for the US Senate, but came in a distant 4th with about 3% of the vote in the primary.
And no one has heard from him since then.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:05 PM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Last week: 16-5
Overall: 20-6

Kansas @ Coastal Carolina. It was just 14 years ago that Kansas football finished 11-1 and made a BCS bowl, remember that?? Now they are about a 4 touchdown underdog against a school that was still playing at FCS level in 2007 when Kansas finished 11-1 and made the Orange Bowl. Coastal wins easily, the bigger intrigue is whether Kansas can cover the 26 point spread. Rest of the week later tonight or tomorrow but wanted to make sure I got this free win in beforehand.
Illinois @ Virginia. I'll take Virginia at home
Oregon @ Ohio State. Could be a good game, I'll say OSU gets the edge at home.
Wyoming @ Northern Illinois. Georgia Tech has been crap for a number of years, but that was still a good win for the Huskies last weekend. I'm not sold on Wyoming on the road.
Rutgers @ Syracuse. The Orange by a field goal to go 2-0.
Texas A&M @ Colorado. Apparantly, this game is not in Boulder but in Denver, but I'd take the Aggies even in Boulder.
Air Force @ Navy. Navy bounces back from the awful week 1 drubbing at the hands of Marshall.
South Alabama @ Bowling Green. I'll take Bowling Green at home.
Iowa State @ Iowa. Accidentally wrote this out @ Iowa when is it @ Iowa State instead. Cyclones are due for a win in this series as Iowa has won 5 or 6 in a row. Last year after losing week 1 to Lafayette they ended up beating Oklahoma, so I wouldn't put much stock into the Cyclones close win last week.
Houston @ Rice. Rice over the Cougs in the Bayou City rivalry.
North Texas @ SMU. I'll take the Mustangs.
Liberty @ Troy. Troy for a while here in the mid 00's to early 10's had a nice little football program, but they've fallen in recent years. Liberty might be filling that Troy-type team now.
Missouri @ Kentucky. Conference game, probably close to evenly matched teams, I'll pick the team that's staying at home.
San Diego State @ Arizona. Arizona is terrible.
Vandy @ Colorado State. Unlike other terrible football programs like Kansas & UConn, Vandy fans can't even get excited about basketball because they aren't that much better on the hardwood as they are on the grid iron. At least only 5.5 more months until baseball starts though I guess??
Utah @ BYU. This is one of the more underrated rivalries in the sport if you can only watch 1 quarter of 1 game this weekend, watch 1 quarter of this game. I think something like 13 of the last 19 meetings have been 1 possession games. This is going to be another close game, but I think Utah is better so I see them taking it in the end.
USC @ Stanford. How many losses does Stanford need this year before the David Shaw hot seat gets some heat??
Hawaii @ Oregon State. At least Hawaii probably won't be as bad this game as they were a few weeks back against UCLA.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:01 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Oregon @ Ohio State. Could be a good game, I'll say OSU gets the edge at home.
Anything could happen but I think Ohio State will run away with it. Close first half then a blow out.

Quote:
Texas A&M @ Colorado. Apparantly, this game is not in Boulder but in Denver, but I'd take the Aggies even in Boulder.
Colorado was 4-1 regular season and went to a bowl game last season. And they were suppose to be horrible. Might be close.

Quote:
San Diego State @ Arizona. Arizona is terrible.
Arizona wins this one. Its at home and they played BYU better than expected and their offense looked good. Arizona may be bad but SD St. is probably much worse.

Quote:
USC @ Stanford. How many losses does Stanford need this year before the David Shaw hot seat gets some heat??
He is 90-37 as a head coach there. 4-2 last year. Should he be on the hot seat for losing the first game or going 0-2 if USC beats them? And if you look at Stanford the past 20 years or so in football and basketball they really don't fire their head coaches, its not their style. We are talking the most successful university in college sports if you go by national championships. This year the Pac-12 north has only one top 25 team. Stanford could end up with a winning record and a bowl game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football